Just bought a GX460 with a bad engine.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
JI just bought a 2012 Lexus GX460 with a bad engine. Knocks like Hell! Paid a $1,000 for the truck with little over 100K.

Looked online for used engines and find them priced anywhere from $4K-$6K with a 90 day warranty at best I also see remanufactured engines online from several remanufacturers for about $4K with up to a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Does anybody have an engine remanufacturer that they have used or recommend for a Lexus/Toyota 20100-2014 4.6 litre Toyota engine and why do you recommend them?

JakeH

Adventurer
I do not have any resources for your actual question but...Cummins repower candidate? A 2.8 diesel Lexus sounds pretty legit to me.

llamalander

Stay away from Engine World! I've gotten JDM heads that had the ERG drilled right through to the coolant chambers. They replaced them with heads that had been milled down so far it blew 2 radiators and my heater core. The amount of work to replace an engine is pretty significant, not being positive that the new parts are new or serviceable can mean you do it twice or three times. no warrantee will cover your labor or the consumable parts and fluids you use or the time it takes to fight with the seller. If you find an outfit that will sell you an engine, make sure that they are the sort of people you want to deal with more than once--while they may not know what kind of life the donor lived before they sold it, they should either stand by their product or give you a steep discount that reflects their uncertainty.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
? Is there any reason not to at least tear the current engine down to find the source of the problem? Rolling new bearings into rods and mains is pretty easy in comparison and cheap. A new/used is 100% unknown. Repairing the one you have is probably more like 30% unknown after completion.

shade

? Is there any reason not to at least tear the current engine down to find the source of the problem? Rolling new bearings into rods and mains is pretty easy in comparison and cheap. A new/used is 100% unknown. Repairing the one you have is probably more like 30% unknown after completion.
Could also save money by only ordering a short block instead of an entire engine.

D

Deleted member 13060

Just thinking out loud.......

If someone neglected and/or abused the engine to the point of breaking in 100K. How bad did they treat the rest of the truck and why would you want it? After spending 25+ years in the auto repair industry I've found that free or nearly free cars can be and usually are the most expensive.....

YMMV RON

Superduty

Adventurer
Sounds like you got an awesome deal. Assuming you can do the engine swap yourself. I don't want to think about what Lexus would charge to replace an engine.

What about finding a wrecked/totaled GX and taking the engine from it? Buy it auction. You can sometimes find low mileage vehicles at those auctions. Gonna take some patience, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles