Just bought 2011 Tundra DC

nastav

Adventurer
Gone: Audi A4 Quattro (wife's).....thank god! she loved that car....I cried tears of joy when the Toyota dealer said they'd give us $7k in trade!!!!

Ordered: BMWx5 Diesel (her "chick truck")....Hauls *** for a Diesel...and we got $2,500 in Obama-eco credit for saving the earth in a huge car-truck thing...whatever; they pay maintenance (I learned that this is essential after owning a new Audi) and she likes it and the dog fits, and I like Diesels. too fancy for me...but I don't have to drive it everyday, so who cares? Made in America, putting Americans to work in South Carolina!!!!!

Here: 2011 Tundra doublecab (6.5' bed) 4x4, 5.7, rock Warrior, etc.
0% APR for 5 years, 2 years maintenance, They took the stupid Audi in trade, 3k under dealer invoice, Great MPG for 400hp, real backseat, warranty, etc. Made in America, putting Americans to work in Texas!!!!!

I owned a first generation Tundra that I bought new in 2000. decent truck, but in my opinion and experience with Toyota (bought first one in 1989...pretty much had one since), the newer Toyota are just not as well-built and reliable as the older Toyota that formed the Toyota reputation. So I hope that the new tundra will be a decent truck, but I don't have any unreasonable expectations with it....

We looked at the Tacoma, but I don't like the tiny bed, and the lack of power would get old fast (it always does), seems really expensive for what you get, and basically we both do not like the way it looks compared to the first-gen taco. I do understand that the Tundra is not the most beautiful truck on the market (Raptor wins that one), but any new truck is ugly compared to a FJ60 IMHO. Plus side to Taco is the smaller dimensions and loads of aftermarket stuff. Realistically I do not drive that fast, but I do want to be able to go up a mountain pass loaded with people and gear at 70 if I Choose to.

I have been checking out the Tundra build threads on here.....there are a few that are stunners!!!

First Mod: a really good dog blanket for back seat!!! and probably XM radio.

Soon to go: 1984 FJ60.......LOVE this truck..Love it...she loves, it...I love it, the dogs love it......random people on street love it. But, i only want to have one older vehicle with a manual transmission (she doesn't like driving stick), and the 911 won the battle easily.

greg mgm

Explorer
Congrats on the Tundra!! Please post some pics!!
I love my Tundra as well. I've been on some very long trips and absolutely love how comfy and quiet these Tundras are. Now if we can get 'em with a diesel. :sombrero:

nastav

Adventurer
Thanks zidaro

Thanks zidaro: Your build had a pretty big influence on my deciding on the Tundra!!!! Thanks for posting your experiences with your truck....forums can really help people trying to learn what a vehicle performs like in "the real world"

I miss the mountains and I miss the ability to just get in a truck and turn a key and go....with enough room for all the assorted stuff.....and the power to get us all there relatively rapidly. If we lived in the mountains I would always have a 60.....just flogging that thing down a freeway sucks!

When I lived in Breckenridge Colorado (ages ago) , I had a FJ60.....it never left the county...except when I drove it all the way down Baja...loaded with 4 people and a ton of crap. I have always hated driving those things on the freeway. I wish I could keep it and build it as a trail rig.....storage space would be an issue....

So far I love it.....And I think she doesn't love the idea of parking it...so I will not have to share it!!!!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Great decision on both vehicles!

Yes! :victory:

We would like a new x5D, a buddy is currently shopping for one for his wife, the price is keeping me away for now...

I 'want' (don't need) a new truck, and the new Tacoma and Tundra have both been in my sights for a couple years. I like the smaller size of the Tacoma for everyday and 'slightly' better MPG, but it's likely too similar to my 4Runner. The Tundra attracts with full-sized truck capabilities. And that zero % financing just keeps on going... thought it would have stopped years ago!

nastav

Adventurer
Redline: oil burner X5 is 100% her car. We both dig the diesel....I don't like all the gizmos in it, but she seems to love it. I looked at them used and the savings over new were not enough to justify; major selling point on BMW vs. the other euro cars is that they still pay the scheduled maintenance for the first few years. We saved $$ for a couple years assuming the Audi would eventually die, or I'd DD it and keep the 60. So, while expensive...we had planned on something like that for her.

I steadfastly refused to entertain the idea of the Audi Q7 D. I never want to deal with either of the two crummy Audi dealers in this town, or the few independent shops I've found.

I agree with wanting / needing a new truck...I looked, but just couldn't find anything that really would motivate me to get one. The 3/4 ton domestics are too much money with a diesel. We want to have kids soon, and a backseat is key. The price difference and MPG difference between the Taco and the Tundra is so close. It seems they are willing to sell Tundras for less? the free money is killer, I can't imagine that it will go on endlessly; it seems that eventually the carmarkers will have to pay the price for loaning money for free?

I looked at the CrewMax instead of the double cab, but I wanted something that if i had to, I could get a shell and still sleep in bed. I did love the power rear window on the test crewmax I drove....loved it. I also felt the the way the seats folded in DC suited my needs better? Still either is a great option.

Plus If I keep the 60 in a barn for the next ten years....I have a Toyota 5.7 v-8 ready to swap in?

Seriously, I am so far pleased with the truck. Parking it does suck, but that only takes a bit of time to get used to.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
Congrats! I have been looking at the Tundra's, going to go take one for a spin this weekend. I sent you a PM regarding yours.

ywen

Explorer
I must say.. the current gen Tundra is growing on me.. a guy at work as a silver on and the exterior is definitely looking better and better to me.. However, I still can't get past that huge dashboard...

OTR

Adventurer
However, I still can't get past that huge dashboard...

It's a huge truck with a huge dashboard:Wow1: Bonus is lots of storage: 2 glove boxes, under and beside the cup holders, and a HUGE center console. Did I mention that all this hugeness gives you nice comfy seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier