Just begging for a wisecrack . . .

Scott Brady

Founder
david despain said:
Also i really love my disco this time of year, not for its winter storm road handling ability but because the dash is lit up like a festivus tree! Its a merry reminder of the holiday season. i have the 3 amigos and the CE lite.

O crap, I just laughed out loud :D

Despite my problems with the DII, I cant wait to own another Rover :jumping:

BMAN

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
While my Disco II had many electrical problems, it was very capable off-highway and was more comfortable and possessed several positive ergonomic and design features that Toyota's do not have (offset axles, 3.3:1 low range, long accelerator pedal travel for fine control, etc.).

So, there is no perfect off-highway vehicle. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. In the Outback Challenge, the Nissans and Land Cruisers (80 series) had massive failures while the LR's suffered no issues.

There is no question that Toyota is more reliable, but compared to a Defender, the variance in reliability is much less than some of the comments in this thread would support.

Just my opinion, having owned and driven them both...

Hmm... My 40 and 60 both have offset differentials?

Got me on the 3.3:1

Never had issues with pedal control so I have no idea wht you're talking about on that one.

My uncle put 600k on his 81 Hilux w/o issue so reliability in my biased opinion goes to the Toy.

What manufacturer won the Outback Challenge hands down?

All of that said and my reputation as a Toyota Club president on the line, I'd not only give my left nut for a D110, I'd be willing to throw in a matching right one too. Then again, I've said the same about a few 70 series LC's too.

A wise man once said, "In matters of taste, there is no argument".

Redback

Adventurer
Seems i stirred up a hornets nest with my Hilux comments, but i would read my post again, in it there is no mention of Rovers being better than Hiluxs no mention of reliability issues with them actually no mention of anything bad against any Toyota vehicle.

My 2 hiluxs were uncomfortable, slow, hopeless offroad, as for towing anything, wouldn't pull ya grandmother out of bed, i broke 2 diffs in each and a transfer case in the later one, had oil leaks (anyone who say Jap 4WD don't leak oil is only foolin themselves) and so many cracks in the body from rough use i lost count, my hiluxs were diesels and manual.

I don't bag anything unless i've owned one and even then it's in jest, like my post, if read the first post you'll see i take the p1ss out of Rovers too.

Now as for the reliability of Rovers, as expeditionswest has said, most of the stories are excagerated and all cars have there good and bad issues, most of the Rover stories come from the old series vehicles and Lucus electrics, but that was for all pommie vehicles really, i know i had my share of English cars, but then again most cars in those days had problems.

My DII has been super reliable and has never had a spanner on it in anger, it's done 130,000 hard ks (80,000 miles) it's been abused offroad taken me to the most remote parts of Australia and never once missed a beat, which is more than i could say about the 2 hiluxs i had, but then mine might have just been bad luck.

So take a pill and relax i ment no malice, just funnin with ya 4rescue, well not you personnally but in general, as i'm sure you guys do it too, it's a brand thing.

Oh look through the list of vehicle that have dominated the Outback Challenge, there's always a Rover there in the top 5 and has even won it too.

Oh yeah i'm an Aussie through and through with Irish heritage:camping: :beer:

Baz.

Last edited:

Redback

Adventurer
OK this is happening on a regular basis here in Australia, this is a copy and paste from ExplorOz forum here in Aust.
On 16th November my 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 litre engine failed. It had 109,123 km on the clock and was just 6 months out of the extended warranty. We were just 10 km from home, fully loaded with camper trailer in tow, and were on our way to Coral Bay for a week. We had just reached cruising speed when the engine went bang, car started shaking, and smoke galore was billowing out the back. Armed with knowledge gained from this forum, I had a fairly good idea what the problem was. After making a few changes to our holiday plans, I rang Val Davis to discuss what options we had. Because we live in the heart of “The Pilbara”, it took some time to evaluate where to send it. In the end we decided the best option, and surprisingly the cheapest, was to send it to Perth. Once in Perth it was compression tested, then stripped and assessed where they found a hole in no. 3 & 4 pistons. The initial offer of repair by Nissan Australia was fairly poor, they would supply new pistons, rings and gaskets, and I was to pay for labour. I am still in discussions with Nissan now trying and improve on this. Most of the discussions however have been with Val at Nissan Australia as I get the feeling the Nissan dealership doesn't really want to go into bat for me on this.

the replies

Hi Bushmark,
Sorry to hear of your travails.
I suffered the 5th gear problem on the Nullarbor, but fortunately, I was till within the extended warranty, so Nissan came to the party. The 24-hour assist was partly useful, but would have come nowhere near covering for accommodation and fares if the gearbox had been fixed in Esperance or Kalgoorlie. In the end, I drove it back to Perth in 4th (with their permission).
Interesting to read an article in this weekend's Australian newspaper of Bracks talking of introducing "lemon" laws in Vic. Too long have we been made mushrooms by vehicle mfr's with respect to known design faults in vehicles. They went on to describe the laws in the US, with some states making it an offence to hide known faults from the public. That's certainly what's happening here. Nissan will never publicly admit the engine fault nor their gearbox 5th gear fault.
A mate recently bought a s/h troopy, of the era when they had a spline problem in the gearbox. He negotiated a purchase price which factored in the upgrading of the gearbox, so was happy with the deal. He rang Toyota to ask what price they would do the job for, but they disclaimed any knowledge of the fault, even tho they put out an upgrade kit. Similarly, Toyota never admitted to the oil transfer problem with the transfer case on earlier models. The b@stards will admit to nothing.
Stick with it, don't let up. Nissan have a moral responsibility to come to the party with a known fault and an engine that's done as few kms as yours, even if it is just out of warranty. Consumer affairs would be your next step.
Hope your holiday wasn't too screwed up.
Good luck
Gerry

Hi Gerry

Interesting to read what you said about Brack introducing lemon Laws into Vic.

On my recent trip, which ended in my Patrol 3.0 litre blowing up, I punctured the side wall of a new Cooper A/T tyre (it had 2500km) on a gravel road near Mt Dare.

A friend from Canada said that if that happens in Canada or the USA it is regarded as a "road" and replaced free of charge. I still have the tyre - does anyone know if Cooper here have the same obligations or protection in Australia?

Be good if our laws protected the consumers here rather than allowing the manufacturers to hide behind "we were unaware of the problem" or it is your fault, the tyre shouldn't be on the road.

My 5th gear was in extended warranty when it "expired" and replaced under warranty.

Cheers

Ron.

It just goes to show all 4WDs have there problems, even Nissan.

Throw in 100s cruisers cracking front ends IFS and blowing front diffs, and that includes 79series too makes you think.

I'm not brand driven like some, i could quite easely buy another brand when it comes time to get rid of the Disco, we have even tossed around to idea of getting a Jeep as our next tourer.

So there you go food for thought.

I would not wish this on any 4wd owner.

Here's a link to the thread

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=39766&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault%2Easp%3Fs%3D0%26PN%3D1

Baz.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
My Defender 110 I had in Europe needed a to have the tranny replaced at around 7500km (about 4700 miles) because some gears apparently bypassed the hardening procedure prior to assembly; on my Tacoma I have now the pressure plate of the clutch broke at 4,370 miles due to a material defect. So in my personal ranking, Land Rover has Toyota beat by about 330 miles :clapsmile

Redback

Adventurer
A bit like my daddys better than your daddy

On forums here it's

Waeco v Engel

Yoyo v Nissan

BFG v Coopers

diesel v petrol/gas

and everyone v Land Rover

can get quite heated at times and sometimes the humour is bloody side splitting:wings:

Most time i'm the only Rover when out with mates, so before long out come the ribbings if you don't make it over something, but it's all a bit of fun:ylsmoke:

Life would be pretty boring if we all drove the same car:coffee:

im actually tempted to drop in at the local yota dealer just to see if theyre selling those orange...things :p. i think i pooped myself laughing over this thread :p...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Redback said:
Seems i stirred up a hornets nest with my Hilux comments, but i would read my post again, in it there is no mention of Rovers being better than Hiluxs no mention of reliability issues with them actually no mention of anything bad against any Toyota vehicle.

My 2 hiluxs were uncomfortable, slow, hopeless offroad, as for towing anything, wouldn't pull ya grandmother out of bed, i broke 2 diffs in each and a transfer case in the later one, had oil leaks (anyone who say Jap 4WD don't leak oil is only foolin themselves) and so many cracks in the body from rough use i lost count, my hiluxs were diesels and manual.

I don't bag anything unless i've owned one and even then it's in jest, like my post, if read the first post you'll see i take the p1ss out of Rovers too.

Now as for the reliability of Rovers, as expeditionswest has said, most of the stories are excagerated and all cars have there good and bad issues, most of the Rover stories come from the old series vehicles and Lucus electrics, but that was for all pommie vehicles really, i know i had my share of English cars, but then again most cars in those days had problems.

My DII has been super reliable and has never had a spanner on it in anger, it's done 130,000 hard ks (80,000 miles) it's been abused offroad taken me to the most remote parts of Australia and never once missed a beat, which is more than i could say about the 2 hiluxs i had, but then mine might have just been bad luck.

So take a pill and relax i ment no malice, just funnin with ya 4rescue, well not you personnally but in general, as i'm sure you guys do it too, it's a brand thing.

Oh look through the list of vehicle that have dominated the Outback Challenge, there's always a Rover there in the top 5 and has even won it too.

Oh yeah i'm an Aussie through and through with Irish heritage:camping: :beer:

Baz.
No worries, I'm a redhead (scottish) so I'll take it on the chin eh...

Alot of my distrust for LR's comes from the simple fact that I'm a yank and frankly, 99% of all the LR's here are driven by yuppies to and from the mall... That and the dismal time I had with our LR's on Lochenbar (Bananna shire QLD)

By all means, to each their own...

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94