Just another Jeep

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
A slight reconfiguration of the trailer is needed to accommodate PMC (Project Midlife Crisis). 1977 Honda XL350, some assembly required. Only 13000 original miles, and the price was free. So, why not?

20210531_101039 by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
So my XJ has recently become my daily driver. First major upgrade in a long time was to add LED headlights. Anyone who's driven an XJ at night knows the stock lights are less than sufficient.
LED Headlights by Tim, on Flickr

These lights are amazing. Hope they last!

I also picked up a parts bike to build up the 77 XL350 project. The project is moving slow, because parts are really hard to find. This 78 will help a lot!
2021-09-16_01-35-11 by Tim, on Flickr

A few weeks ago, i headed out into the Gypsum hills region of south Kansas to check out the sights.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Shortly after picking up my trailer, the tongue was extended and the ball hitch was converted to 2".
20150801_145936 by Tim, on Flickr

Over time and use the tongue has weakened and it was starting to affect how it was handling on the road. The entire thing shook while driving any speed north of 50. Initially I suspected tires, but when the problem persisted after replacement...
The solution, give it a back bone. combination 2" and 2.5" square tubing beefed things up nicely.

20211017_144014 by Tim, on Flickr

I'm getting eager for my next trip out with the new setup. I'll be sure to give a report.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Quick note. The new setup on the trailer made a HUGE difference. It tows solid and tracks very well.
Currently planning a trip to Southwest Oklahoma in a couple weeks. Watch for pix...

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Took the setup out for a quick and nasty campout, one night and the wind was ridiculous. it towed quite nicely.
Camp by Tim, on Flickr

Tested out the new flag pole... 3 sections of surplus antenna poles, a cheap pole set, pvc pipe and monky grip. It worked very well.

Also.. first trip with new (to me) roof rack setup. Simpler, and less of a sail than the old aluminum basket.
New and improved by Tim, on Flickr

Ran into a mystery. Anyone know what this is? It was attached to the leaf, no marks on the other side, very light. It appeared to be empty... Things that make you go hmmm
Bulb by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
So I did a thing. Still have the XJ and it'll remain my primary exploration vehicle. But i picked up a fun daily driver.
An '05 TJ. Nothing special, just another TJ, but it'll allow me to dig in deep on the XJ and take care of typical problems any vehicle with 200k miles.
New toy by Tim, on Flickr

Last edited:

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Like every good Jeep owner, I can't leave well enough alone...
I replaced the big ugly LED lights with some smaller pods with amber/white capabilities..
You can see the poor neglected XJ in the background. She started throwing a fit the day I picked the TJ up, the ABS light kicked on. The joy of Jeeps.

20220327_195450 by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I tried something new. I didn't drive on my last adventure. Simply sat in the drivers seat, navigated and enjoyed the scenery. We took back roads from Wichita to just west of St. Louis. Most of it was paved, but there was just enough gravel to make things fun. It was amazingly relaxing, which I desperately needed. Thanks to my friend Jason who did all the driving and for the St. Louis chapter of the Christian Off-Road Association for hosting an amazing 4x4 event!

Pix from the trip...

BTW... if you're in the are in that area, be sure to take a cruise on Lost Creek Rd. It's just SW of Warrenton and absolutely gorgeous!!!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
A friend who attended SMORR recently, made a comment about the cost of things Overland related.

After some discussion, I've decided to give up Overlanding completely. Instead I'll be camping out of my Jeep. It's much cheaper.

Have a great day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier