Just another tire thread!!

Grassland

Trying to plan in advance, due to shortages caused by C19, and the fact new vehicles require a mortgage to afford.

I'm looking for dedicated winter tires for my current '14 F150. In a true 33" size, as narrow as possible. I'm alright with E rating.
I'd like to keep these tires for the eventual next F150, with a slight chance of a 6.2 gas Supercab SWB F250 in the future. (If Trudeau gets elected again I won't be able to afford gas for my business never mind for pleasure)
Current truck is SCAB 3.7 with topper, swing case, skid plates etc. Currently on BFG 34x10.5R17.
Replacement F150 would be 2.7 PP SCAB, same build out, or a 3.3 SCAB same build out.
Super duty would be the lightest SCAB 4x4 I could get, again built out the same with skids, topper, swing cases.

I've been displeased with 3 peak rated all terrains on hard pack and ice.
Want a true winter that's good on deep snow, ice, hard pack etc.

Looked at 275/70R18s but not sure what other sizes are out there for 17s and 18s but want 33s

What do you guys recommend?

Jmz01

I like nokian hakkapelitas never been disappointed with them but have to google for sizes. I have 32" for winter

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

roving1

I like nokian hakkapelitas never been disappointed with them but have to google for sizes. I have 32" for winter

This all day long. Used to do some snow and ice racing. Driven just about all the snow and ice tires there are from cheap to expensive. Some of the Blizzacks work better on ice when brand new but then suck when their special sauce compound wears out at 50% tread. But all around nothing works as good and as long through the whole tire life of the tire and tread depth as Nokian stuff. Commuted in a rwd truck with Hakkas for 15 years now and everyone assumes the truck is 4wd when I pass them in the snow lol. I literally had a work colleague dive under the truck at one point looking for a front diff as he could not believe there wasn't one because I was running the snowy lane on the freeway and passed him on the way in his 4wd LOL. More to do with how crappy mud tires are in snow even with 4WD but I let him "believe" in the miracle lol.

The redesigned Winterforce 2's are good on a budget but, at least last year, are not nearly as cheap as the original Winterforce tires were.

Last edited:

Jmz01

This all day long. Used to do some snow and ice racing. Driven just about all the snow and ice tires there are from cheap to expensive. Some of the Blizzacks work better on ice when brand new but then suck when their special sauce compound wears out at 50% tread. But all around nothing works as good and as long through the whole tire life of the tire and tread depth as Nokian stuff. Commuted in a rwd truck with Hakkas for 15 years now and everyone assumes the truck is 4wd when I pass them in the snow lol. I literally had a work colleague dive under the truck at one point looking for a front diff as he could not believe there wasn't one because I was running the snowy lane on the freeway and passed him on the way in his 4wd LOL. More to do with how crappy mud tires are in snow even with 4WD but I let him "believe" in the miracle lol.

The redesigned Winterforce 2's are good on a budget but, at least last year, are not nearly as cheap as the original Winterforce tires were.
Ya Nokians never failed me been through a lot. Blizzacks are great too but i think paying the extra was well worth it. You're definitely correct about being capable of driving them in rwd lol. When im in the city i switch to 2H to save gas and i still have good traction. Only time i lose traction is if i gas it too much off the line.

billiebob

Actual WINTER tires in an LT size, I have never seen. I downsized every year to get winter treads.
From 33s in the summer to 31s for winter but man do they work.
Put the ego away and buy the best tire.

DSC_0003.jpeg

billiebob

I made a few changes a year ago. I rebelled against the bigger is better 33s, 35s etc when my tire guy found me a 16x6.5 rim with a 4 on 4.5 bolt patern to match my TJR and the correct backspace, 5.5". So I bought the old school size I grew up with on all my 1970s F250 4x4s. 7.50R16s. Older the 235/85R16s.

What a difference, way smoother riding and from 17mpg on 33s to 22mpg. Done, I am sold, I will never buy an LT tire again.PLUS they are rated to last 25% more miles AND they cost 20% less. My tire costs per mile, adding up longer tire life plus cheaper tire plus more MPG.... just got cut in half. The big difference with a TJR is my range is now 400km instead of 300km.

DSC_0013.jpeg

As for winter driving..... tall and skinny rule on a slushy road, I can pull out, pass that pickup on insane tires sticking out past his fenders, and cross that infernal windrow of slush back into my lane at 75mph without sweating. Floatation tires are just that Floatation tires which FLOAT on slush... or standing water. Buy them for winter only if you love white knuckle driving at half the posted speed limit.

PS, I can do that towing a trailer.

Last edited:

Grassland

Pretty poor selection in 33ish sizes.
I'm finding some in 285/70R17 but not as many as there are in 265/70R17 or other 32ish sizes

The General Grabber Arctic and Mastercraft Courser MSR are excellent.

If you're seeing real winter and heavy ice, there's nothing like a studded tire. I run studded tires on my trucks in the winter. After the initial cost of a second set of wheels, the cost is similar, and you don't have to buy new tires as often.

4000lbsOfGoat

If you're seeing real winter and heavy ice, there's nothing like a studded tire.
There are no real benefits to studded tires and quite a few drawbacks. Read this: https://www.outsideonline.com/2359001/studded-tires-winter-car-prep

From the article: " Nowhere does consumer perception lag further behind on-the-ground reality than in the car world. And that’s a problem, because your outdated beliefs, loyalties, and superstitions are probably costing you money and compromising your safety."

I can pull out, pass that pickup on insane tires sticking out past his fenders, and cross that infernal windrow of slush back into my lane at 75mph without sweating.
Wow, I'll definitely take your advice if it means I can drive unsafely and put others on the road at risk! Only a fool would slow the ******* down when the road is covered in slush!

There are no real benefits to studded tires and quite a few drawbacks. Read this: https://www.outsideonline.com/2359001/studded-tires-winter-car-prep

From the article: " Nowhere does consumer perception lag further behind on-the-ground reality than in the car world. And that’s a problem, because your outdated beliefs, loyalties, and superstitions are probably costing you money and compromising your safety."

Having lived and worked at high elevation for decades, I'll go ahead and weigh my own experiences just slightly ahead of the experiences of someone writing an article for clickbait. I can promise you, after running both studded and studless tires on many different vehicles in just about every winter condition that can be encountered, that there is no substitute for studs in certain conditions. If your experience differs from that, and studless tires work for you and your rig where you live and drive, that's great. You should run them. I do not, and will not, run a tire without studs on my vehicles during winter, as long as I have a choice. I have had zero issues, of any kind, running studded tires, and the benefits are significant for me. Your statement: "There are no real benefits to studded tires and quite a few drawbacks." simply tells me that you don't live and/or work in the same winter conditions I do, or you don't have first-hand experience, and are repeating nonsense from an article written by someone else.

Grassland

Yeah I mean if you studded an all season I can see it not working great.
But an actual winter tire that's also designed to accept studs ,the studded version will out perform the non studded version in certain situations.

There are drawbacks too like noise, road surface wear, probably less traction on bare road, and the classic cringeworthy noise of a thrown stud hitting your wheel well.

At -33 celcius ice is pretty hard and even good winter tires aren't as soft and pliable as they are at less severe temps.

Also enjoyed the article referencing some tests from 1995 after telling us we have outdated views. I'm not old, but a 1995 Chevy Cavalier is a classic vehicle insurance wise here, because it's over 25 years old.

Last edited:

jbaucom

Goodyear WinterCommand(LT) and Bridgestone Blizzak(LT) are available in LT275/70R18. The Goodyear is studdable.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Having lived and worked at high elevation for decades, I'll go ahead and weigh my own experiences just slightly ahead of the experiences of someone writing an article for clickbait. I can promise you, after running both studded and studless tires on many different vehicles in just about every winter condition that can be encountered, that there is no substitute for studs in certain conditions. If your experience differs from that, and studless tires work for you and your rig where you live and drive, that's great. You should run them. I do not, and will not, run a tire without studs on my vehicles during winter, as long as I have a choice. I have had zero issues, of any kind, running studded tires, and the benefits are significant for me. Your statement: "There are no real benefits to studded tires and quite a few drawbacks." simply tells me that you don't live and/or work in the same winter conditions I do, or you don't have first-hand experience, and are repeating nonsense from an article written by someone else.
I'd actually like a 2nd set of Duratracs for my truck. Studded for winter as they are able to accept studs.

4000lbsOfGoat

Read the article. It outlines research done by several state governments that show studded tires only have benefit on clear ice between 32 and 0 degrees F and increase stopping distances on dry roads.

I'd rather go with documented science than anecdotal evidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94