Just Another 2nd Gen Ram Build

cd_193

Hey all,

Not used to posting Threads, but figured I could start one to periodically update.

I own a 1999 Dodge ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. I've owned this truck since high school (10+ years now) and it has seen many different iterations in it's time.

Yes, it used to be lowered. I drag raced it! Best I did was 10.9 in the 1/4 mile, and dynoed 850rwhp.
This thing was a beast! And still with the VP44 for anyone wondering.
IMG_8214.JPGIMG_7976.jpgIMG_5604.JPG

But with the drag racing, came the poor street-ability. It smoked, bucked, had no A/C, it just wasn't fun to drive anymore.
Especially now with the emissions pressure here in California, it just wasn't practical anymore. So the "Back to the Street Build" began....

After eyeing Carli Suspension stuff since I was an 18 year old in high school, I figured might as well get the kit I've dreamed of.
So I went with the Carli Dominator with 3.0 kings, DT Profab long arms, and a few Thuren parts here and there.

For the engine, I toned it down from an extreme 850hp to a modest 450-500hp.
A Fenley Turbo HX35, F1 Mach 2 injectors, etc:

IMG_9517.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_9858.JPGIMG_9986.JPGIMG_0584.JPGIMG_1568.JPGIMG_1569.JPG

Last edited:

cd_193

Here's the "Finished for Now" result:

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1708.JPGIMG_1736.JPG

I'm starting to get some recovery gear put together, along with how I'm going to arrange everything in the bed.

But man, what a difference. Being able to drive this thing like I used to before I raced it, it's been great.
I hit many speed bumps along the way with this build, which maybe I'll get into later, but it's all starting to come together!

I cant wait to start over landing and light "prerunning" with this truck!

I look forward to posting more on here, and I welcome all comments and criticisms.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Wow the underside and body of that truck is super clean. Literally. Looks like it's been well taken care of.

Man that's a big drop in power. I would've kept it a little higher with the ponies :LOL:

Very cool truck. Is there still a hole in the hood? lol

cd_193

Wow the underside and body of that truck is super clean. Literally. Looks like it's been well taken care of.

Man that's a big drop in power. I would've kept it a little higher with the ponies :LOL:

Very cool truck. Is there still a hole in the hood? lol

Thank you!! I've taken very good care of this truck over the years.

And believe it or not, high horsepower old diesels dont drive very well on the street!! But believe me, there's some days I wish I had that power back..

I also had the foresight to buy a cheap Craigslist hood for $50 and polish it, and I used that to drill the hole!
I made a promise to myself to not do anything permanent to the truck while drag racing it. I only broke that promise once, I drilled a hole in the fuel tank for a sump. I regret it and wish I could remove it. Now on and off I'm searching for another stock one to replace it.

Mbrothers

Where in California do you live? Based on how clean and not leaky your engine bay looks i could certainly cull some information from you. I live in Valley Center

displacedtexan

Does Duncan know what you're doing with the truck?

Very nice setup! And I agree, 450-500hp is about the limit for comfortable street driving with a mechanical injector truck.

cd_193

Where in California do you live? Based on how clean and not leaky your engine bay looks i could certainly cull some information from you. I live in Valley Center

I’m out of Monterey! And thank you!

Does Duncan know what you're doing with the truck?

Very nice setup! And I agree, 450-500hp is about the limit for comfortable street driving with a mechanical injector truck.

Duncan is well aware lol he also told me that the truck isnt a “light prerunner”, its full on! ?

Speaking of Duncan, his turbo transformed the truck. I can use cruise control now that the spool up is so quick. I think this is his 60mm HX35R with race cover.

It may even be a little less power than that, but I don’t mind. I used to daily it when it had around 700. It was fun for a while, but I grew tired of the smoke/lope and everything else that came with it. I like a (mostly) quiet and smoke free driving experience now.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It may even be a little less power than that, but I don’t mind. I like a (mostly) quiet and smoke free driving experience now.

Congratulations!

You are getting older and wiser from your youth experiences.

Amazing how experience is such a wonderful teacher?

displacedtexan

I’m out of Monterey! And thank you!

Duncan is well aware lol he also told me that the truck isnt a “light prerunner”, its full on! ?

Speaking of Duncan, his turbo transformed the truck. I can use cruise control now that the spool up is so quick. I think this is his 60mm HX35R with race cover.

It may even be a little less power than that, but I don’t mind. I used to daily it when it had around 700. It was fun for a while, but I grew tired of the smoke/lope and everything else that came with it. I like a (mostly) quiet and smoke free driving experience now.
I just knew the Carli stuff would make him excited!

Diesel guys want to daily 900hp, until they realize what 900hp is.

cd_193

Congratulations!

You are getting older and wiser from your youth experiences.

Amazing how experience is such a wonderful teacher?

It is amazing, and thank you!

I just knew the Carli stuff would make him excited!

Diesel guys want to daily 900hp, until they realize what 900hp is.

That's right! I was the one to push him to get that pintop kit, and he had a better experience than I did thankfully.

Also, that's one of the most common things with these trucks.
Everyone wants max hp, but no one knows what it takes to get there or how rough the driving experience will be when you do.
Best to keep it low and slow lol

cd_193

Went up to the mountains this weekend, dang truck didnt want to start. It took a good 4 or 5 rounds of cranking to get it going.
It was like those cold start videos you see online, just pluming gray smoke and only firing on a couple cylinders at first.

I thought the worst, since it's never done this before, but later thought it must be the grid heater isn't being powered up by the relays.
Got some new relays on order and waiting to swap them out.

IMG_2039.JPG

Also, I think its time to re-gear with these 35's. It bogs down pretty good going up inclines.
Factory is 3:55, maybe some 4:11's would be good.

Last edited:

displacedtexan

Went up to the mountains this weekend, dang truck didnt want to start. It took a good 4 or 5 rounds of cranking to get it going.
It was like those cold start videos you see online, just pluming gray smoke and only firing on a couple cylinders at first.

I thought the worst, since it's never done this before, but later thought it must be the grid heater isn't being powered up by the relays.
Got some new relays on order and waiting to swap them out.

View attachment 763406

Also, I think its time to re-gear with these 35's. It bogs down pretty good going up inclines.
Factory is 3:55, maybe some 4:11's would be good.
Yeah, that sounds like no grid heaters.

My swap doesn't have them, it can be angry in the cold.

cd_193

Well, this is how it usually goes on my "Project Threads". I post something, and then don't come back to it for months.

Not too much to report on, I drove the truck quite a bit going on mountain bike adventures. Got the Carli spring situation sorted out and it rides way better now. I think it sits a bit low in the rear, might add some 1" lift blocks. Right now the front and rear are dead level, I usually like a bit more lift in the rear.

UC Steeps.jpgIMG_2341.JPGUC.jpg

Only thing I've really done to the truck is installed some cab filters from Genos Garage. I hear they make a big difference with diesel exhaust smell since the inlet is right at the plastic cowl at the hood. These trucks have no cab filter so I'm excited to try them out!

I did paint mine with SEM Trim Black paint, they were that shiny plastic before and wanted it to match the OEM cowl.

IMG_2424.JPGIMG_2426.JPG

That's all for now, I have a 4" mbrp exhaust Ive been meaning to install so that will probably be next. (y)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles