June Lake, Ca. camping trip

slosurfer

Adventurer
We went camping at June Lake, Ca. with the ultimateyota group this past weekend. Had a blast like always and got some good exploring in. The Taco did great on its first camping trip. I really need to find a set of these sport seats to put in my 4runner, they are so comfortable. Anyways on to the trip:

Friday, Aug. 17th
After packing well into the night on Thursday and getting up early on Friday, we still didn't get out of town till 11am. We headed out Hwy 41 towards Yosemite, stopping in Kettleman City for a potty break and some In N Out burgers. Jack fell asleep when we got into Yosemite so this is the only shot I got of the valley. We normally stop at Bridalveil Falls for a pit stop, but due to the lack of rain and snowfall the falls were not flowing well.

IMG_6013.jpg

We stopped again at White Wolf off of 120 in Yosemite for a break, walked around with the dog for awhile, and got back on our way. Next stop was Oh Ridge Campground in June Lake at about 7pm (it might have been earlier, I'm not sure). We got camp set up just before dark. I promised myself that next year we are leaving super early so we can get more pics of the 120 section of Yosemite.

Saturday, Aug. 18th
Took our time getting ready for the day and then we all set out for Virginia Lakes to do some fishing.
IMG_6021.jpg

This included us and the rest of the UY crew (JnJ (Jen, her daughter Caitlyn, and her father Art), Bob_98SR5 (Bob and Patti), Cooldry (Chang), Goodburger (Lance, Yoko, and their friends Dave and Jen), Sonny and his cousin Satsuro (sp?) ) We had a great time hanging out at the lake and watching everyone fish. Jack had a great time on his first fishing trip, even though he was fishing with a dummy fish made for practice casting.

IMG_6049.jpg

Jack and Caitlyn had a blast together. Good thing because he will have a sister soon enough.

IMG_6053.jpg

Bruce (our dog) was having a great time as you can see here:

IMG_6077.jpg

We ended up leaving before everyone else and headed out to do some exploring and hopefully Jack would grab a nap. We checked out Virginia Creek Campground on the way back down to 395. Then, on a whim, I decided to head up to see the Horse Meadows. It was an easy dirt road to the Lower Meadow and a mild 4WD trail up to the Upper Meadow. We spent some time relaxing and playing at the Upper Meadow and April collected a few pine cones to use as Christmas decorations.

Upper Meadow
IMG_6087.jpg

Jack and his pole
IMG_6095.jpg

Old horse feeding trough
IMG_6099.jpg

Bruce and our "horse"
IMG_6100.jpg

We opted to head back down the way we came rather than complete the loop, coming down a steep rutted hill, we ran into Jen (JnJ) coming up. The elocker worked great backing up the hill and I actually had to back up the hill again as I ended up meeting another vehicle coming up after I let Jen go by. The Tacoma did awesome and was a blast to drive offroad, one of the reasons I opted to head back the way we came was that I was able to open it up on the fun sandy road heading down to 395 :D

We went back to the campsite to get ready for the potluck. Me and Sonny got the fire going and cooked sweet potatoes and chicken on the fire for the potluck. The potluck was awesome like always and we had a great time chatting and hanging out by the fire. Lance and Yoko made some awesome Sangria, I had to stop drinking it as I was afraid it would sneak up on me. Lucky for everyone, Lance opted to keep the rum out of it. :angel:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Sunday, Aug. 20th
This day saw us saying goodbye to most of the group which left just us, JnJ's group, and Reggie and his son. We took our time getting ready for the day, getting in last minute visiting with everyone, and saying our goodbyes.

After lunch, Reggie and Tucker headed out to Bodie Ghost Town while Jen, Caitlyn, Art, and us headed out on the June Lake loop. We stopped at the last lake in the loop, Grant Lake, so the dogs could play in the water. Both of us forgot our cameras at camp, so we swung by camp, and then Art led us to the Obsidian Domes between Mammoth and June. It was very cool to see these huge chunks of obsidian and the cliffs that they keep falling from. The kids had a great time scaring the parents by climbing all over the rocks.

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

Don't ask! :shake:
IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6153.jpg

We weren't ready to head home yet and Jenn and I needed to do some 4wheeling. I looked on the map and found what I thought were hot springs that were close by that we could wheel to. After some real dusty offroading in silt and a couple u-turns we found Hartley Springs. They were very cool but not hot springs. No pics, as we both left our cameras in the vehicles which were up a really steep hill. We found a few good pieces of pumice stone (thanks Jen for being our resident geologist) and headed back down the trail and went and checked out Hartley Springs Campground. It was very cool and I will definately be heading back there to camp. We made it back to June Lake with just enough daylight left to make dinner.

Jen coming up a switchback to the springs
IMG_6157.jpg

Wilson's Butte, right by the turn off of 395 to go to Obsidian Domes and Hartley Springs Campground
IMG_6160.jpg

Monday, Aug. 19th
Reggie and Tucker went to explore Mammoth while us and JnJ went to Laurel Lakes. The trail was rocky as ever and it was pretty warm. Near the top we had to stop for a little bit in the shade and let the 1st gen cool down some. We then made our way to the top (no snow blocking it this year) and made our way down the switchbacks to Laurel lakes. The first switchback is a killer, Jen had commented about the trail being great for beginners till that switchback then she said, "That was not for beginners!" Down at the lake, we ate lunch while the kids threw rocks in the water and got a kick out of the dogs in the water. I even jumped in as I couldn't pass up the opportunity, man was that water cold!

On the way back we ran into two other toyotas, an 05+ Tacoma and an early 90's truck. Other than them, the only people we saw on the trail, were three guys who had parked their H3 at the trailhead near the top and were setting out on a hike. It ended up being a great day and we opted to head back and get dinner before it got too dark. We had hoped to check out Hot Creek thermal area but that would have put us back at camp well after dark.

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

40 point turn downhill switchback (not too easy with a manual tranny)
IMG_6184.jpg

slosurfer

Adventurer
more Laurel Lakes...

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

Heading up the switchbacks
IMG_6215.jpg

Upper Laurel Lake (we ate lunch on the grass on that "island")
IMG_6217.jpg

Killer switchback (much easier heading up)
IMG_6218.jpg

This should show how close this switchback is, Jen just passed it and I am just reaching it, this pic is taken without any zoom.
IMG_6220.jpg

The dirty kids watching a DVD while the parents talked around the campfire
IMG_6240.jpg

slosurfer

Adventurer
Tuesday, Aug. 21st
We packed up and said our goodbyes. Of course, we were the last ones out of there, leaving a little before 11am. We headed up Tioga Pass and the Tacoma pulled up it like a champ. Once in Yosemite, we drove down a heck of bumpy road to Tamarack Flat Campground to eat lunch and stretch our legs.

IMG_6256.jpg

We then continued on and on a whim pulled into Yosemite Mtn. Sugar Pine Railroad which is just outside of the National Park. Jack loves trains and this place was awesome. They were done for the day, so we only checked out the gift shop and snapped a few pics of the trains. This will probably be a place that we stop everytime now. Next time we will ride the train.

IMG_6257.jpg

Headed home and boy was it hot! 93 in Oakhurst, 101-103 from Fresno all the way through Kettleman City. About 20 miles from home it was still in the 90's when we got home I was so glad to see fog. It was 59 degrees at home.

Great trip, here are the rest of the pics: Clicky Linky

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Beautiful!

That's what it's all about; good folks, cool trucks, tough trails, top-notch scenery and passing it down to the wee ones. Very, very nice.

I recall once having the best breakfast at the little cafe near the White Wolf campground. Yosemite's topography feels like you're on another planet.

The d-cab & trailer combo looks like the ideal family set up. Thanks for putting up so many great pics!

:beer:

slosurfer

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Beautiful!

That's what it's all about; good folks, cool trucks, tough trails, top-notch scenery and passing it down to the wee ones. Very, very nice.

I recall once having the best breakfast at the little cafe near the White Wolf campground. Yosemite's topography feels like you're on another planet.

The d-cab & trailer combo looks like the ideal family set up. Thanks for putting up so many great pics!

:beer:

It is so beautiful up there! I worked at June Mtn. one snow season and did a ton of backcountry snowboarding. The mountains look so much more menacing without snow on them, some of them I can't believe I climbed and rode down.

Nice to know that the cafe at White Wolf is good, if we hadn't been running late, we would have ate there.

The Dcab worked awesome, plenty of room for the little girl who is on the way. I easily could have done it without the basket on top, but I have it so why not use it and it means that the dog can ride in style.:)

Here are a couple pics of it in action: taken by Jen in the 1st gen. on Laurel Lakes trail
DSC00666.jpg

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

The mud flaps on the Taco are rediculously low! I am surprised I still have them attached, the whole trail you could hear them hitting, bending, etc... Had my wife a little spooked, since it is her truck.:)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Great read! Thanks for posting. It'd sure be nice if things start to cool down soon...still right at 100 in Reno yesterday & today.

pismo62

Adventurer
Chris, looks like you had a great time. Thanks for posting all the picts. I posted some of the sherman pass trip, a short while back. How do you like the trailer now that you have taken it out a few times? Enjoy the day. Guy

slosurfer

Adventurer
Guy, it was a good trip. Looks like you had a good trip also. I really like the trailer, This was about the 5th time we had it out camping and I keep getting better at packing it and using it as our camp kitchen. I really like how easy it is to use between the 4runner and the Tacoma. Right now the only thing I have to do to different between the two, is adjust the height of the pintle hook as the hitch on the Taco is lower than the 4runner. It tows great and will follow either vehicle through whatever. I took it up Pine Mountain Trail and Las Chiches awhile ago to test its offroad abilities and it did great. Once I get lockers, I want to take it through Garcia Ridge to give it a good test on the rocks.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Loved the pictures, especially with the kids. If you poison their minds early enough, they just may be willing to take you out camping when you are 90 years old!

slosurfer

Adventurer
teotwaki said:
Loved the pictures, especially with the kids. If you poison their minds early enough, they just may be willing to take you out camping when you are 90 years old!

That's my plan, muwhaahaahaahaaa. I can't wait to start backpacking with them.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I haven't been to June lake since i was a little kid. Dang that looks like a great time Chris! Thanks for posting up! Made my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior