Judging interest for group buy 4D56T (Hyundai D4BF)

Calh

is that price installed?

No that's just to get it here. The price to install is who-knows-how-much (probably 1000-1500).

I'm in southwest Denver (Ken Caryl area) if you need to borrow some tools or something.

That is a really nice offer man, thank you. It's at another shop over on belleview getting a second opinion right now, but I will keep this in mind going forward. You wouldn't know of a spot in that area where I could park to work on it for a while would you?

JamesW

Adventurer
the Hyundai head can be purchased and installed on your engine to get you back on your way.

And this would also be a great plan of action, but unfortunately we ran a compression test and it turns out my engine block is cracked. It's going to be more involved than a simple head install...
I'd be sceptical about the block being cracked, the mitsu diesels have pretty soft heads, which nearly always crack at the first sign of overheating. Somebody may have been stubborn enough to drive it with the cracked head for a while just to limp it home and roasted the engine, but usually they're tough enough.

Try Europe for a secondhand or reconditioned engine, the 2.5 diesel was a popular one here, and is still around in various forms.

Personally I'd be looking at what other engine would fit, as the 2.5 is a bit gutless

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Calh

Alright, I've got an Asian supplier who just sent me these pictures of a D4BF for sale for a good price. It's missing the alternator, injection pump, turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds, but do you see any other important bits that would be a hassle to track down?? I'm hoping I can swap those from my current engine. What do you guys think?

LONG+BLOCK+%284%29.jpgLONG+BLOCK+%286%29.jpgLONG+BLOCK+%281%29.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Depends on what a good price is, some of those parts are not cheap to get. Though that would be a good buy since you already have a 4D55/6 donor engine.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
depends on if the engine failure put any debri into the oil pump. If it did, you'll be replacing the turbo a short while after the installation. When trying to re-use engine parts, you wont know much until you get the old engine apart.

that engine is also missing the oil cooler and oil filter assembly, which will also be contaminated if your engine has failed.

Servingko

Any updates? I imported a 92 SWB Pajero 4D56T Auto last spring and may be headed down this road as well. Super clean inside and out, but knew there would be things to repair and replace. Transmission went out within 600 miles so I had that completely rebuilt and added a new torque converter. Running great, no drips, leaks and no smoking or engine oil level dropping over the last 1,300 miles. A couple of days ago I shut it off, ran an errand for 45 minutes and when I fired it back up is sounded a little louder, more rattling, and when I pulled out I thought I had forgotten to release the parking brake due to the loss of power. Drove it home, no smoking unless I put my foot into it - same as before - but light throttle seemed ok other than louder diesel sound and it didn't get any hotter than normal which is very low, 182f with an infrared thermometer on the inlet pipe and radiator top. It's just sitting in the garage while I search for a local diesel shop to take a look.

Turbo spins freely with no discernable bearing play, no apparent leaks in the intercooler or piping, starts up with just a flick of the key and idles ok, just louder. I don't know about boost pressure, injector pressure, pump timing, or camshaft timing (jumped a tooth?). There was a little oil in the intercooler and piping and at the turbo inlet housing, but with almost 80k on the clock I would expect a bit. The oil in the turbo inlet appears to have come from the PVC line that joins the air intake line at that point. I don't think a clogged PVC would cause these symptoms but I am not that familiar with this engine or diesels in general.

At any rate, if the worst case scenario becomes a reality, sourcing a new motor vs having the original rebuilt may cost nearly the same and I am not interested in doing it myself. Please let us know what you have found out. Thanks.

JamesW

Adventurer
Have you a sticking caliper? Maybe try blanking off your egr valve, it can stuck open a wee bit and make them run a little ropey

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Servingko

Yes, I blanked the EGR (appeared to be working properly and quite clean) and will check the brakes. It's the louder engine rattle that has me worried in spite of no temp increase, lack of blue/white/black smoke, starts right up, coolant and oil look good, and no visible problem. I am really hoping that it's fuel/boost related or something else external. Sorry about the thread drift. I have contacted Calh directly.

Servingko

Thought I would update as I hate threads that just die with no resolution even if it's a bit off topic. The problem turned out to be a balance shaft belt tensioner pulley that came apart and pieces of the bearing got thrown into the timing belt, causing the fuel pump pulley to jump one tooth. The balance shaft belt didn't break as is was just wadded up in the bottom of the timing belt cover along with a dozen or more ball bearings and the two steel seal rings minus the rubber. It was this way when I purchased it last spring and somehow pieces got caught up in the timing belt after the fact. I don't know how long it was off, but now that I have everything replaced and back together, including the balancer shaft belt, it is golden. I know many don't run with the balance shaft belt but it makes a big difference in the smoothness of the engine, especially at idle. Very lucky that it didn't take out the timing belt and cause internal damage.

dshin16

Here's the only quote I've been able to get. Guy (located in the Bay Area) sounds reliable, but it still seems a bit pricey. Wanted to cover all of my bases before pulling the trigger.

" 1. D4BF: $3100/ea
-Add $150 for cooling fan and starter
2. Logistics Handling to Oakland, CA (doc prep, ocean freight, duties, etc): $850
3. Truck Delivery to Denver, CO: $400-500
4. Availability: immediate
5. Transit Time: 4-6 weeks
6. Payment Terms: Advance. Domestic truck delivery COD
7. If ordering multiple units, will save $200-300. "

Do you remember the name of this company? I am in CA and looking for a new D4BF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles