Judging interest for group buy 4D56T (Hyundai D4BF)

plh

Explorer
Testing the waters for a potential group buy. As some of you know I travel extensively for work in Asia. Primarily: Japan, So Korea, China (lived there a few years back) Taiwan and Thailand. I have some very good connections in So. Korea and he is willing to help with the logistics of a order for some engines. Personally I am looking at 1, however this is way lower than the minimum order quantity. These will be coming directly from Hyundai and are the D4BF 2.5L diesel. Replacement for the Mitsubishi 4D56T. Non intercooled, They will include starter, alternator, flywheel and clutch. All brand new. Timing will be arrival in USA April/May 2015.

I'm trying to get an idea if there is any interest, and therefore if I should continue to pursue this idea.

Rough cost $4k each landed in USA.

D4bf.jpg

Last edited:

JamesW

Adventurer
It depends on the transmission code,I tried put a 2.8 up against a 3.0 24v and while they are the same box,the bell housing pattern is different.

The 2.5 and the 3.0 12v probably use the same box, I'll find out later. You will need a flexplate from a 2.5 if you are putting it onto an auto.

plh

Explorer
It depends on the transmission code,I tried put a 2.8 up against a 3.0 24v and while they are the same box,the bell housing pattern is different.

The 2.5 and the 3.0 12v probably use the same box, I'll find out later. You will need a flexplate from a 2.5 if you are putting it onto an auto.

The 4D56 (D4BF) shares the same bellhousing as the gas L4 (G54B)

ljense8

Adventurer
You guys should just move to Michigan. We don't have any emissions rules here. Just pay your title and registration fees and be on your way. They don't even ask if it runs, let alone what engine is in it.

plh

Explorer
Bumping this up to the front page. Received the shipping quote today and is less than I thought. How often does that happen? I very confident these will be slightly under $3800 each. Although still waiting for info on import tax/duty (if any). Need to have 4 committed.

At $4K you can get one shipped to your front door without being part of a group buy. I looked into getting a bunch of these shipped to the states about a year ago and it was looking like they would cost about $2600 shipped to the states so you may want to check with some other importers. To answer a few questions these engines make a lot more power than advertised. The figures always listed are the 4D56 out put figures from 1992. This motor has changed a lot over the past 23 years. I would say they make more like 125 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. I have one in my 1983 MMM and it achieves around 28mpg. It feels like it has as much power as my 2014 Cummins. The thing just flat out moves and it does not care if you are going up steep mountain grades in overdrive. They are no where near as fuel efficient as the 4d55 but the trade off is worth it for the power. The power band is also very different than the 4d55. The 4d55 makes peak torque at 2900 RPM's while the Kia 4d56 makes peak torque around 2400 RPMs. The Kia 4d56, as I call it, is a much much more reliable engine than the 4d55. All the issue have been resolve so these new engines are good for 500K miles where the 4d55 was only good for 100K miles. They are just worlds apart. That being said these engines are difficult to get registered in some areas because they were never sold in the states. Mine was swapped into a vehicle that is emissions exempt. Even though we have the toughest diesel emissions in the country I was still able to find a way around the red tape by registering it as a vintage vehicle. In all regards it really does meet there qualifications of a vintage vehicle so I am not really bending any rules. It was just best way to register the vehicle for me and my situation. You may have similar laws in you own states that make it easier to register vehicles with engine swaps.

10651420506_90f29688fa_b.jpg

10651523113_b90535925d_b.jpg

plh

Explorer
At $4K you can get one shipped to your front door without being part of a group buy. I looked into getting a bunch of these shipped to the states about a year ago and it was looking like they would cost about $2600 shipped to the states so you may want to check with some other importers.

I've got your cell number from about 2 years ago. Is it the same? Need to talk to you a bit about this. Thanks. Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles