jrsteffes's Trooper MOD Thread

jrsteffes

Adventurer
jrsteffes's Trooper mod thread

I wanted a mod thread of my own so here we go. This is going to begin rather slowly but I wanted a spot to record the modifications I make to my rig. I plan on a few removals first (Westin step bars, Spare tire cover) and then hopefully some rock rails and sleeping/cargo platform shortly after. The vehical is a 2002 Trooper S with 60k miles which I introduced here (http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2467). There is some good info in that thread about the T.O.D. system and I also plan to document the power mod that is spoke of once the parts are gathered.

I do have a question for those of you that eather have made your own rock rails or had custom ones made.............that question is..............what am I looking at in cost? I know there are some already on the market for the Trooper in the $300 price range (http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915|928538&PRID=1061988). Would there be a savings to just have a set made and welded on? They look fairly simple.

Last edited:

bootzilla

Adventurer
Sliders are something that I have been contemplating for awhile. Not many people make sliders, and most of the ones I have seen are weld-on.

Custom made seems to be the popular option, but that is essentially what you would be getting from Independent 4x anyways - I'm pretty sure Matt makes them to order.

The $300 price for the sliders themselves isn't too bad - the sliders for my Freelander sell for more than twice that (I have a set for sale, if anyone is interested). Granted, those are pretty elaborate and 100% bolt on, but still.

The big thing for me is installation. I have never welded before, and I'd be afraid to experiment on my truck's frame.

I'd be interested to know what kind of information you can find out. I will say that it is a lot more fun wheeling knowing that your rocker panels have some protection.

DBS311

Adventurer
I am not sure of the weight of the Trooper, but from a Land Cruiser point of view the most important aspect of sliders, whether they be bolt on or welded, is that there is proper gusseting at the frame. I have seen improperly designed sliders that end up causing body damage because they fold at the frame attachment points and push up into the rocker. Vertical gusseting is very important for heavier vehicles.

jrsteffes

Adventurer
DBS311 said:
I am not sure of the weight of the Trooper, but from a Land Cruiser point of view the most important aspect of sliders, whether they be bolt on or welded, is that there is proper gusseting at the frame. I have seen improperly designed sliders that end up causing body damage because they fold at the frame attachment points and push up into the rocker. Vertical gusseting is very important for heavier vehicles.

You have a very good point, I want a functional slider that I can use not only for protection but also as a point for a jack!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
As the Trooper is not as heavy as the LC's, you would probably be fine with out gusseting the sliders, but if you are going to weld them on any way, why not gusset them at the same time to add some strength?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior