journalists drive the 2016 Tacoma

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Im still glad I got a 2015, and got the last supercharger my dealer installed before Toyota discontinued them.

It is nice that the HP increased, but the torque didn't, and peak torque is at higher rpm. Sounds like a car engine. I suspect the six speed auto is closely geared and that helps some sort of improvement. On second thought it may not improve acceleration or city driving, as one of the articles said that 4th gear is still 1:1 even in the six speed.

haven

Expedition Leader
Base price for the Tacoma has risen because it's an Access Cab model with 6 speed automatic. No more standard cab models.

Cheapest Tacoma $24,200 with Access Cab, 2.7L 4 cylinder engine, 6 speed automatic and RWD
Cheapest Chev Colorado $20,995 with Extended Cab 2.5L 4 cylinder, 6 speed manual trans and RWD
Cheapest Nissan Frontier $18,875 with King Cab, 2.5L 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual and RWD

http://wot.motortrend.com/1508_2016_toyota_tacoma_price_jumps_to_24200.html

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
it's not really a *new* 3.5L V6, is it? I've seen that expression several places now. Surely it is the same efficient, powerful 3.5 that the Sienna has had for a decade now, with a little truck-specific tuning?

Yes and no- it is a 2GR (as in other Toyota applications) but this has vastly different engine management for a flat torque band and better fuel economy.

seriously? will they also come with a dedicated MySpace terminal in the dashboard?

MySpace-No. Facebook Places- yes (and I'm not even kidding) Part of the Entune system. No word if the GoPro mount includes something useful, like a power cable, or God forbid, a connection to the infotainment.

I saw a tan Access Cab Off-Road just outside of Issaquah, WA yesterday. Looked like it handled stop and go traffic like the previous models...
I take that to mean that it drives down the road like every other vehicle.

Im still glad I got a 2015, and got the last supercharger my dealer installed before Toyota discontinued them.
It is nice that the HP increased, but the torque didn't, and peak torque is at higher rpm. Sounds like a car engine. I suspect the six speed auto is closely geared and that helps some sort of improvement. On second thought it may not improve acceleration or city driving, as one of the articles said that 4th gear is still 1:1 even in the six speed.

The torque is supposed to be very flat from 3-5000rpm. The axle is a 3.91, lowered from last year's 3.73, so with gears 1-5 unchanged, performance should improve. The 6th gear is a (big) 2nd OD and lowers cruising rpm despite the lower axle gears.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
from Road and Track's review
"a lot of this truck is carryover—the biggest points of differentiation are the added high-strength steel in the cab structure for added safety and a new V6. For example, the front control arms are stronger and the shocks have been revised, but a suspension lift intended for a 2015 truck will still fit a 2016. Likewise for the mounting points for the rear bumper… so on, and so forth."

Good news, I guess?

From the Motor Trend Canada review
"In contrast to the Tacoma's outgoing generation, you no longer climb in and then proceed to fall into the seat. The 2016 truck's seat bottom is higher off the floor than before and doesn't lift my knees up..."

This was one of my complaints about the Tacoma. In previous models, the seat was close to the floor, and required you to stick your legs out straight. The new model sounds like the seat is more chair-like. Good.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I don't get what everyone has against.cometh seating position in the current truck (or every Toyota truck that isn't a gen2 tundra or cruiser) I like my feet up. Like a lazy boy

Finlay

Triarius
I don't get what everyone has against.cometh seating position in the current truck (or every Toyota truck that isn't a gen2 tundra or cruiser) I like my feet up. Like a lazy boy

Yeah. I'm 6'4" - pretty much all car seats are too small. The TRD seats are the most comfortable I've ever had, but YMMV of course.

The front end redesign is... going to give aftermarket bumper vendors fits. I like the new interior layout, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94