Joshua Tree NP & The Desert

Allof75

Pathfinder
This past weekend my girlfriend and I headed out for a quick overnight to Joshua Tree National Park. SoCal has been witnessing a very warm spell, and we saw temperatures into the mid 70s our entire stay. Not many things on the trip quite went our way, but needless to say we had an overall good time.

After about 2 hours of driving, we stopped at Hadleys, a famous stop off of 10, known for its date shakes and celebrity contact.
attachment.php

Shortly after that, we were able to stop into our final destination for the night- the Cottonwoods Campground of Joshua Tree. Unfortunately upon acquiring our passes for the night, we learned the route we were planning on taking (Pinkham Trail) was washed out by the November rains, and was considered "nearly impassible" by the Ranger staff. Even though I would still be one to happily see just how "impassible" it was with the pathy, our time constraints and both my and my girlfriend's patience would have been tested should we have tried it. Not only was the trail essentially closed, but so was the nearby oasis which made the Cottonwoods famous in the first place. Bummer. So instead of doing either of these, we went to a nearby short hike.

Along the way we saw rocks,
attachment.php

and cactus.
attachment.php

Among many other interesting plants,
attachment.php

and outlooks.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The terrain was singularly rugged and strangely beautiful at the very same time.
attachment.php

We quickly thereafter headed back to find a campsite, and chose one with an excellent view.
attachment.php

attachment.php

We set up camp and made a salmon dinner, to which I of course not only forgot to pack a spatula (critical when cooking salmon on the stovetop), salad dressing, and a good stomach. I started feeling sick right before we needed to make dinner. Convenient.
attachment.php

So we choked down some burned salmon, and chewy pasta, and tried to make a fire, unsuccessfully. Now this wasn't because of lack of skill I assure, but instead something to do with either the wood or the fire pit itself. Either way, no matter how much wood I could get to light briefly, or how much coal it might create, the fire would just not light. So we abandoned that idea and headed to the tent, to turn in for the night.

To add some spice to the situation, our fellow campers, who moved in after we had set up, became more and more rowdy through the night. Eventually blaring music, getting lost, and becoming so plowed as to wander into other people's camps, and being forced back into their camp. They created a nuisance I always dread when going into a communal campground, but eventually my girlfriend and I were able to get to sleep.

All was not lost, as we did witness a gorgeous sunset. :elkgrin:
attachment.php

The morning after, I was feeling a bit better, and the day seemed to be off on a good start- I hadn't burned the coffee, and we worked a way around the lack of a spatula to make gluten free chocolate chip pancakes. My new Camp Logic Everest stove worked beautifully.
attachment.php

Quickly we packed up the tent and hit the road, at least an hour ahead of schedule.
attachment.php

Allof75

Pathfinder
We cruised up Pinto Basin road, and while witnessing incredible, expansive plains and vistas, we just had to stop at one of the stations, and look at these Cholla (pronounced CHOY-YA) cacti.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After an hour or so of driving, and seeing some excellent camping spots for next year, we finally hit paydirt- Geology Tour Road. This would take us to the Jumbo Rocks which were prime for climbing. The trip only took about 25 minutes to get to where we wanted to be, with my new OME suspension soaking up the bumps and allowing the washboard to disappear under us at 50 mph.

attachment.php

We made it, and hiked up the road a piece to where we had lunch.
attachment.php

The views were nice,
attachment.php

I was feeling better
attachment.php

And there was lots to do.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We hopped back into the pathy,
attachment.php

and headed over to Keys' View.
attachment.php

Before we knew it, we were leaving the park, and getting onto the 62. Next the 10 and then we stopped into Cabazon to view the famous and gigantic dinosaur statues, and creationist "museum." (Pardon, but that's the most accurate, not trying to start a religious debate)

attachment.php

My girlfriend, allowing me to take a picture of her, and she sticks her tongue out. :sombrero:
attachment.php

Really strange goings on the inside...
attachment.php

attachment.php

With that sidetrip, we headed to Palm Springs for dinner, and then went home, showered, and watched a movie, as I somehow became sick again.

In the end, trips are what you make of them, not necessarily what goes wrong. We both had a good time, and will do it again next year.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great quick trip you did and a shame you couldn't run that trail as it is a pretty one.
There are a number of great dirt tracks out of Joshua Tree and we really enjoy it as a place to visit as a family.
Shame about the campground as the few times I have camped in the campgrounds there it has been good.

thanks for posting

Allof75

Pathfinder
Great quick trip you did and a shame you couldn't run that trail as it is a pretty one.
There are a number of great dirt tracks out of Joshua Tree and we really enjoy it as a place to visit as a family.
Shame about the campground as the few times I have camped in the campgrounds there it has been good.

thanks for posting

Thanks! I wish I had more time in the park, as there were some really neat looking trails to explore, but I still had a good time.

How do you like the trasharoo on the hatch?

I love it! It works great, and makes no noise, even on the freeway. I don't think it even scratched the paint either.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The rear glass lifts no? My brother has a trasharoo we just haven't look at putting it on my hatch (my glass doesn't lift)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice trip man, too bad about Pinkham. Did you also skip following Geology Tour Rd down to Berdoo canyon and out?

Also what exit is Hadley's? I wanted to stop there on my way back but couldn't remember how I found it (didn't remember the name either until I recognized the pic you posted).

richard310

pew pew
Great report, but really sorry to hear about the sick and the nonfire fire pit and the rowdy neighbors and Pinkham as that's a pretty fun trail to drive on. There's always next time!

That small sea of fuzzy cacti was pretty awesome to see. (Cholla)

Wondering about Geology/Berdoo too. The route is a bit long but pretty fun.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Nice trip man, too bad about Pinkham. Did you also skip following Geology Tour Rd down to Berdoo canyon and out?

Also what exit is Hadley's? I wanted to stop there on my way back but couldn't remember how I found it (didn't remember the name either until I recognized the pic you posted).

Thank you, and no Berdoo this time around, after dragging my gf on it last year, she specifically said not to go, so I didn't. Hahaha

Hadley's is off of Apache Trail exit, and you get off on the leftmost fork of the morongo traffic circle. Excellent landmark. :)

Great report, but really sorry to hear about the sick and the nonfire fire pit and the rowdy neighbors and Pinkham as that's a pretty fun trail to drive on. There's always next time!

That small sea of fuzzy cacti was pretty awesome to see. (Cholla)

Wondering about Geology/Berdoo too. The route is a bit long but pretty fun.

Thank you for the condolences hahaha, as much as I complain, I'm still very glad to have gotten out and about.

Allof75

Pathfinder
The rear glass lifts no? My brother has a trasharoo we just haven't look at putting it on my hatch (my glass doesn't lift)

Yup you are correct. Before I tried this trick, I used to thread it on the factory roof rack crossbars. You may be able to do that.

richard310

pew pew
My girlfriend coped on Berdoo AND Pinkham on our last trip there. Let's just say that off road trails in the desert will be limited. If there were trees and running water, a different story. She's tiny and doesn't fit the stock seat very well... so she gets tossed around hahaha.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yup you are correct. Before I tried this trick, I used to thread it on the factory roof rack crossbars. You may be able to do that.

I will have to give it a shot, it will have to come off each night and go inside because of wildlife around here ( raccoons, coyotes, bears etc)

Allof75

Pathfinder
My girlfriend coped on Berdoo AND Pinkham on our last trip there. Let's just say that off road trails in the desert will be limited. If there were trees and running water, a different story. She's tiny and doesn't fit the stock seat very well... so she gets tossed around hahaha.

Hahaha same situation here. Though she's asked to go to the salton sea and Salvation Mountain, so maybe we can fit some in there...

I will have to give it a shot, it will have to come off each night and go inside because of wildlife around here ( raccoons, coyotes, bears etc)

Sounds good, they're quite durable, but not bear proof. Excellent to carry firewood in btw

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the exit, I'll have to remember it next time. I promised my kid a yummy dates shake treat and then couldn't find it! lol

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thanks for the exit, I'll have to remember it next time. I promised my kid a yummy dates shake treat and then couldn't find it! lol

No problem, they're quite good, just not when the cup leaks into the cupholder like my gf's did. Completely ruined a white shirt too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles