Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

Dmski

Adventurer
I love exploring mines and ghost towns like that. Good to see you got out and found a few.

jhberria

Adventurer
The breather extension is on my short list, but I've yet to ford water deeper than half way up the tire so I'm not too worried about it yet. I also don't make a habit of doing water crossings unnecessarily. I'm also looking at bumpers, primarily the ARB. Shrockworks looks interesting, as does hefty, but I don't know if I want to deal with the long wait and higher price when the ARB will serve my intended purpose. Any opinions on front bumpers from other Nissan folks?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
ARB is the way to go. Looks awesome, professional fit and finish, and you don't have to wait the absurd production times of some of the smaller fab shops. What I also like about the ARB is that it's built intelligently, not just bigger. They managed to make it lighter than other options like the Shrock or Hefty, while still being very strong.

Oh, and the diff breather on these axles aren't just for fording. The old vent can get clogged up and stop working. That means the axle can't vent excess pressure. This causes the seals to start weeping, which can shorten the life of the diff if left unchecked.

jhberria

Adventurer
It seems like ARB is the consensus. Are they really significantly lighter than the shock/hefty options? I haven't seen any data regarding bumper weights, but if so that would definitely be a bonus.

Point taken on the breather, and I'm actually already getting the weeping rear diff seal. Although I don't think it's from the clogged vent, as I've checked it and it appears to be clear. Seems to be a common issue with these trucks, even when new.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
It seems like ARB is the consensus. Are they really significantly lighter than the shock/hefty options? I haven't seen any data regarding bumper weights, but if so that would definitely be a bonus.

Point taken on the breather, and I'm actually already getting the weeping rear diff seal. Although I don't think it's from the clogged vent, as I've checked it and it appears to be clear. Seems to be a common issue with these trucks, even when new.

I'd wager the ARB weighs somewhere around 80 pounds. I can lift one pretty easily by myself. I've installed one alone before. The Shrock bumper, on the other hand, weighs 130 pounds. Definitely stout, yeah, but that's another 50 pounds and you haven't even added a winch yet.

You're right about the axle seals being problematic. Every one I've looked at does it.

jhberria

Adventurer
Took a ride up to Cochise Peak just east of Tombstone this morning. It's a beautiful area with loads of historical significance (beyond the well known OK Corral and Tombstone cinematic portrayals). Hit a couple trails, they were fairly rocky but not too difficult. I found a wide open mine (that I didn't explore because A) I was alone, and B) It looked like prime Chupacabra habitat). Regardless, the panoramic views were well worth the trip.

The foreboding, abandoned mine.

jhberria

Adventurer
Some changes will be coming up for the X in the next few weeks. After deciding I needed a little more lift out of my current set up, but loving the way the OME rides and handles the terrain I explore, I hit up Greg at PRG. Now I've got 1.5 inch spacers, adjustable shackles, and SPC UCAs en route. This will put me at 3 inches of lift all around with a little added travel from the UCAs, plus no coil bucket contact. I also sourced the parts for a rear diff breather kit, which comes highly suggested from all quarried parties.

Being in the money spending mood, I also jumped on the P&P slider group buy over on theXterra.org, which will likely be shipping in early March. Sliders seem to be one of those "must have" mods, and I've put it off long enough. Obviously, pictures will follow after I install everything.

jhberria

Adventurer
So my parts from PRG came in two weeks ago, and I finally had time to install the spacers, adjustable shackles, and SPC UCAs the past Saturday. On top of the OME setup, this gives me about three inches of lift and still rides really nice. I'm waiting on the sliders from P&P still, it will likely be another couple of weeks. I'm also likely going to get a Gobi ladder soon, affording easier access to the rack when I mount my tent or kayaks.

Ripper

Adventurer
Look great brotha! Jealous of what you have to explore. The wanderlust is killing me and the desire to move away from the east is at an all time high!

jhberria

Adventurer
Put my new Gobi ladder on the other day:

Also, I'll be installing these bad boys when I get the opportunity:

I'm currently planning a trip to the Sedona area in the next few weeks, so I've got that to look forward to. Also, it looks like the army is sending me to JBLM in Washington state, so hopefully I'll be getting to know some of you Northwest folk better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior