Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Heading to your neck of the woods Sunday. At least in comparison to where I am now. We are going to spend 5 days at Cannon Beach. Any recommended hikes or must do trips?

Or any suggestions on the 90 vs the 84?

jhberria

Adventurer
Heading to your neck of the woods Sunday. At least in comparison to where I am now. We are going to spend 5 days at Cannon Beach. Any recommended hikes or must do trips?

Or any suggestions on the 90 vs the 84?

How much time do you have on your hands outside of the 5 days at Cannon? That'll affect my recommendations :)

As far as the 90 vs the 84, you'll have to worry less about the 84 closing unpredictably due to weather if you're worried about that. Doesn't get hit by the white stuff as hard. However, taking the 90 over to I-5, then I5 down to 12 west to the 101 on the coast, then the 101 down the coast to Cannon, it's the most amazing drive. Plus you'd be able to drive out on the beach around Fort Stevens/Warrenton and drive the Fronty down the beach for miles and miles (it's technically a state highway). Way more interesting than just taking 84 through Portland to 26.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Thanks for the advice will probably take that route home Thursday and friday. Do you know if there are any routes through the dunes? So that we are less likely to get lost or stuck?

Dalko43

Explorer
2 things:
1) Your Xterra looks awesome! The ARB bumper looks great (I didn't even know ARB made bumpers for the Xterra).
2) Your pictures make me realize that I need to find a reason to move to, or at least visit, the Pacific Northwest.

jhberria

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice will probably take that route home Thursday and friday. Do you know if there are any routes through the dunes? So that we are less likely to get lost or stuck?

I'm assuming you mean through the routes to access the beach, itself? There's plenty. There isn't a very thick layer of dunes separating the major roadways from the "beach highway", and they're all clearly marked. I accessed the beach for my drive down at the very northwestern most tip of Oregon near the delta of the Columbia River on Ft. Steven State Park. Right next to the wreck of the Peter Iredale (very easy to find on Google Earth). I then drove southward until i was tired of driving on the beach. I don't remember exactly where I got off the beach, but it there are plenty of opportunities and most take you right back out to 101. Hope this helps!

2 things:
1) Your Xterra looks awesome! The ARB bumper looks great (I didn't even know ARB made bumpers for the Xterra).
2) Your pictures make me realize that I need to find a reason to move to, or at least visit, the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks! Yeah ARB makes bumpers for the 1st and 2nd Gen Xterras and Frontiers, and I believe they make rear bumpers for the 2nd Gen Frontiers, as well. The PNW is certainly a beautiful place, and (relatively) wide open compared to Upstate NY where you are now. I lived up near Watertown for almost four years, and while I enjoyed Lake Ontario and the Adirondacks, the opportunities for exploration we're limited.

jhberria

Adventurer
Been a while since I've touched this thread, so here goes.

For starters about a month ago I finally installed a winch. Smittybilt XRC 9.5k with synthetic line, to be exact. Install, was easy, but time consuming because I had to drop the bumper to mount the winch.

I also painted the grill black, 'cause I thought it looked cool.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I loaded up the X with a couple of days worth of camping gear and the tent and met some folks from the Overland Bound PNW crew to run the southernmost section of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. Unfortunately, we got snagged up and late season snow drifts quite a bit, but the views of Mt Adams and Mt Hood along the way were amazing. Great camping weather, as well.

This weekend, I met up with a couple of guys from the Northwest Xterra Club and ran a couple trails at Evans Creek. Evans Creek is technically an "OHV" park, and it's got a healthy mix of dirt roads and VERY technical trails. Some of the trails in Evans Creek aren't suitable for anything other than SFA vehicles with 37+ inch tires. The views of Mt Ranier throughout the park are amazing, however. At least when the clouds are kind enough to break.

Derek, one of the guys with the us, has a beast of an Xterra. Dual lockers (OEM rear with ARB up front), full Radflo Titan Swap with M205 front diff, and all the fixings. #truckgoals

Thanks for looking!

jhberria

Adventurer
Still haven't gone through and fixed all of my photos yet, it's such a daunting task. Regardless, I wanted to go through and post some photos from my summer/fall trips thus far.

Trip up the Fortune Creek Trail in the Cascades in July.

The Old Barlow Road around Mt Adams in Oregon in August (with @Snowtrout and @Trixter404).

Solo trip to the Burley Mountain fire lookout in August. Best views in the Cascades, I'm convinced (you can simulataneously see Ranier, Adams, Hood, and St. Helens).

Tillamook State Forest with @Snowtrout, @SurfandSnow, and @Beavertonite back in....September?

Naches Pass over the summer.

The San Juan Islands with my wife back in October.

Last edited:

Ricer_X_01

Observer
Great pics! My girlfriend and I have spent a little time around North Cascades NP and Olympic NP and we absolutely fell in love with Washington... We also fell in love with the western side of Montana for that matter :D We really want to move out west in a few years when she finishes up school. Your pictures make me wish we could hurry up and get out there. Thanks for sharing and nice rigs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles