Joolca, Camplux, Zodi or??? Thoughts on simplicity...

dbhost

You seem to be over thinking it. If you want cheap & simple, go with Zodi.
The popular 5liter heaters, Joolca, Camplux, Eccotemp et.al, have higher capacity and more features & safety features.
Primarily on demand ignition, shutoff timer, minimum flow/pressure sensor and adjustment knobs.
As far as cold water performance. My Eccotemp L5 can take ice cold water and get it warm enough for a shower on full flow. If restricting flow with the flame high, it can become dangerously hot if it not understood whats going on and how to operate the appliance.
Its always a good idea to configure a shower enclosure to enable quick escape. To step away, knock the nozzle aside or something.

The temp issue is something I was concerned with. I believe the Camplux has a max temp rise of 75 deg F. I am used to using my Zodi in winter camp and it takes at least 10 minutes or more of recirculating the water back into the source bucket when starting with 45 degree water to get it into the mid 90s so I can get a nice hot shower... I was trying for something I can hook up, turn on, and get hot water in a few seconds like I can with my water heater at home.

You may consider this a luxury, but picture the scenario. You are in camp, it's 40 degrees and breezy, and you've been fishing in the creek all morning. You get up to go make lunch, slip and end up IN the creek.

You need to get out of those wet clothes, warmed up, and into dry gear NOW.

Start a camp fire? By the tiem you can warm up you'll have hypothermia.

Have a change of clothes at the ready in your ensuite tent, and an on demand hot water / shower?

Jump into the Ensuite, strip, shower with a hot shower. Towel off out of the breeze, change into dry clothes, and THEN go and start your camp fire, and wash, rinse those creek water clothes if needed, or just line dry near the fire...

In the same scenario, you can alternatively go with stripping, towelling off, changing into dry clothes, THEN heating water on a stove, mixing to the proper temp, THEN going back into the shower tent, stripping down, taking a hot shower, then towelling off again and dressing in the dry clothes.

The main point is to get warm and dry as fast as possible.

dbhost

So for those wondering why I didn't just go Joolca, it has to do with the fact that it, just like a Camplux would require modification to suit my needs, and the Joolca is easily double the cost of the Camplux for the same feature set. The basic water heater, with shower hose, and propane hose, and adapters runs you $129.00 for the Camplux 5L at Lowes. The Joolca HOTTAP Essentials Kit runs $269.00. Either kit will require for MY application longer shower head hoses, and honestly I dislike the Joolca shower head as it is well, not attractive.

No disrespect to Joolca, or the owners. It was a matter of personal taste.

I AM planning on adding at least one more Joolca piece if it fits and that is the Gas Knect quick disconnect fitting. It's expensive, but serves a VERY valuable function for me.

I am debating using standard shower hoses between the heater, and the shower tent, using Quick Disconnects at both ends. I have 2 7 footers that are pull outs from shower kits. I am happy leaving the silicone tubing in the ensuite, although I want to adapt direct to hose and QD that way I can just plug, and go...

Water pickup I want optional between hose bib, and pump, again QDs to do the job. And going with a lower cost option than the Joolca. Don;t get me wrong. Joolca is REALLY nice, but it is also REALLY expensive for what you get.

I don't need the Joolca stand, or the sink, I would rather use a traditional sink sprayer for the sink on my Cabelas Deluxe Camp Kitchen so there is that... Or even a sink sprayer into a collapsible basin would be good...

We will see how well this all works out.

dbhost

You can also check out Geyser Systems portable shower systems. Geysersystems.com I can get two good cleanings out of 3L of water. The water fills a scrubbing sponge so not a traditional shower but really nice way to clean up at the end of a solid day on trail. The heated option doesn’t take too long to get the water hot but boiling 1L and mixing it with 2L ambient temp water works well too. Small size, my whole system with wooden shower mat fits in a wolf pack.
083c33a4c7befde20ef6fdbe159c4638.jpg

cb840066c9160a80d3fea04c50132a69.jpg

3567887f1aa93ede1367c6e9d3fa7202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that shower platform, howeve rit looks tiny. What are the dimensions on it?

El Solis

Adventurer
I like that shower platform, howeve rit looks tiny. What are the dimensions on it?

I cut down a 19.7inx13in mat from Amazon to fit. Took off about 2in from the end and relocated the feet on that side. The mat is now approximately 17in x 13in. I’m 6’2” and it works great for me space wise.

GOBAM Shower Mat Bath Mat for Spa Relaxation,Bathroom Rugs,Non-Slip for Indoor or Outdoor,Bamboo (19.7 x 13 x 1.3 inches)

dbhost

I cut down a 19.7inx13in mat from Amazon to fit. Took off about 2in from the end and relocated the feet on that side. The mat is now approximately 17in x 13in. I’m 6’2” and it works great for me space wise.

GOBAM Shower Mat Bath Mat for Spa Relaxation,Bathroom Rugs,Non-Slip for Indoor or Outdoor,Bamboo (19.7 x 13 x 1.3 inches)

I've got Cedar and Titebond 3 in the workshop. Just gotta get busy is all. Do you use this in a privy tent or is this just for showering au naturel? I.E. how hard on a shower floor is this thing? I found shower tents can get muddy floors and I wanted to preclude that....

alia176

Explorer
Just FWIW, I haven't seen the specs on the Joolca, but the Camplux 5L is rated at 28K BTUs.

So the deal here is this. As long as I am still tenting out of a mid size sedan, I am not going to be going with one of these. And I might just leave the Zodi at home as well...

The heater would be better suited, at least for me, to a permanent install / camper build.

So until then, black bucket solar, stovetop heating, and spraying with the Zodi pump. All fuels stay one, ethanol free unleaded, no added fuel tanks to juggle around... The steak saver might come in handy, but even at that, supporting the Joolca since it has its own stand is easy peasy, but the Camplux, needs to be hung...

Since you're tenting, maybe consider my showering method. I use a typical smaller size (2gal) solar shower bag (from Amazon) and I put in one jetboil full of hot water and mix it with room temp water that's already in the bag. This is my favorite way to shower as it is quick, easy to setup/cleanup. Mind you, this setup lives in a landcruiser so space isn't an issue but I prefer the simplicity.

I mentioned smaller size because it's hard to deal with a larger shower bag that can hold four or five gallons of water. It's too heavy to hang on a really high branch, assuming there's a tree to be seen where we go camping in the SW!

On my camper I have the Ecotemp instant water heater but I have a mixing valve permanently installed in the system. This way, I don't get cold water, hot scalding water, then just right water out of the shower head and out of the faucet. Every time the faucet or shower head turns on, water temp is just right. Granted, the shower head is at the end of a 10' hose, so I do lose heat through the hose but it's totally acceptable.

IMHO, pumped water systems tend to waste water unless you have a way to recirc the water. Having 20g carrying capacity on the camper makes this point somewhat moot but we still try to be as conservative as possible with our showers.

El Solis

Adventurer
I've got Cedar and Titebond 3 in the workshop. Just gotta get busy is all. Do you use this in a privy tent or is this just for showering au naturel? I.E. how hard on a shower floor is this thing? I found shower tents can get muddy floors and I wanted to preclude that....

I use it either way, au natural or a privy tent but one of my tents doesn’t have a floor, it hangs off the side of the truck. I haven’t used it in my tent with a floor. The one with the floor is the nemo one that allows the water to drain away. Haven’t showered in that one.
c4926f8654279fb2a180c04f832ce1bf.jpg

dbhost

Since you're tenting, maybe consider my showering method. I use a typical smaller size (2gal) solar shower bag (from Amazon) and I put in one jetboil full of hot water and mix it with room temp water that's already in the bag. This is my favorite way to shower as it is quick, easy to setup/cleanup. Mind you, this setup lives in a landcruiser so space isn't an issue but I prefer the simplicity.

I mentioned smaller size because it's hard to deal with a larger shower bag that can hold four or five gallons of water. It's too heavy to hang on a really high branch, assuming there's a tree to be seen where we go camping in the SW!

On my camper I have the Ecotemp instant water heater but I have a mixing valve permanently installed in the system. This way, I don't get cold water, hot scalding water, then just right water out of the shower head and out of the faucet. Every time the faucet or shower head turns on, water temp is just right. Granted, the shower head is at the end of a 10' hose, so I do lose heat through the hose but it's totally acceptable.

IMHO, pumped water systems tend to waste water unless you have a way to recirc the water. Having 20g carrying capacity on the camper makes this point somewhat moot but we still try to be as conservative as possible with our showers.

Just FWIW, not even gonna consider a gravity feed system. Not dissing anyone that uses them, but at least in my case, I am needing to minimize lifting heavy things. The common solar shower is a 5 gallon and that is somehwere near 40lbs, not great for someone with degenerative disks....

I think I have come to a config that will work.

Set up EZ Up, set up tent, set up Ensuite immediately adjascent to EZ Up,

Hang Camplux from EZ Up leg... Connect hoses, connect gas, and be done...

Mind you my shelters are...

Instant set tent. Ozark Trail Dark Rest 10 person, yes it is huge, and yes I have applied LOTS of waterproofer and seam sealant as I don't want a leaky tent. EZ Up Pagoda 13x13. Staight leg 10x10 frame making up the middle with 18" extensions all the way around. And Joolca Ensuite double wihch is an instant set shower tent. Set the shelters, oriented such that the ensuite is at the lowest point with slope going away from camp at one corner of the EZ Up. 2 walls of the EZ Up enclosed using Ozark Trail shade walls, one with pockets, and a tarp pitched over the tent to provide added shade.

Long term plan is camper, awning, sides, set up ensuite next to awning, hang Camplux on camper hook up and use...

Anyway, keep coming with ideas though. My application is well suited to my needs, but certainly is NOT a one size fits all...

Oh and yes, I did go with Camplux as it was a LOT less expensive than Joolca, which after reviewing the setup, would need the same modifications I am doing to the Camplux, most notably extending the shower hose to allow for a handheld shower / ensuite plumbing setup. , and converting to garden hose quick connects to allow for quick connection of the Camco inline filter rig and 1/2" ID hose.

Only thing premade on the Joolca that would make my life easier is the weighted basket / filter assembly on the pump pickup and Gas Knect adapter. I can rig one and buy the other so...

alia176

Explorer
Just FWIW, not even gonna consider a gravity feed system. Not dissing anyone that uses them, but at least in my case, I am needing to minimize lifting heavy things. The common solar shower is a 5 gallon and that is somehwere near 40lbs, not great for someone with degenerative disks....

I think I have come to a config that will work.

Set up EZ Up, set up tent, set up Ensuite immediately adjascent to EZ Up,

Hang Camplux from EZ Up leg... Connect hoses, connect gas, and be done...

Mind you my shelters are...

Instant set tent. Ozark Trail Dark Rest 10 person, yes it is huge, and yes I have applied LOTS of waterproofer and seam sealant as I don't want a leaky tent. EZ Up Pagoda 13x13. Staight leg 10x10 frame making up the middle with 18" extensions all the way around. And Joolca Ensuite double wihch is an instant set shower tent. Set the shelters, oriented such that the ensuite is at the lowest point with slope going away from camp at one corner of the EZ Up. 2 walls of the EZ Up enclosed using Ozark Trail shade walls, one with pockets, and a tarp pitched over the tent to provide added shade.

Long term plan is camper, awning, sides, set up ensuite next to awning, hang Camplux on camper hook up and use...

Anyway, keep coming with ideas though. My application is well suited to my needs, but certainly is NOT a one size fits all...

Oh and yes, I did go with Camplux as it was a LOT less expensive than Joolca, which after reviewing the setup, would need the same modifications I am doing to the Camplux, most notably extending the shower hose to allow for a handheld shower / ensuite plumbing setup. , and converting to garden hose quick connects to allow for quick connection of the Camco inline filter rig and 1/2" ID hose.

Only thing premade on the Joolca that would make my life easier is the weighted basket / filter assembly on the pump pickup and Gas Knect adapter. I can rig one and buy the other so...

Ahhh, you didn't catch the part about me mentioning a 2gal bag for ease of lifting. I too have DDD. You're camping out of a sedan, I believe, so I think these instant water heaters tend to be a space suck.

dbhost

Oh, one thing. YES the Camplux is considerably bulkier than the Zodi, but the function I am finding to be worth it. Fall and winter weather use will be the test of time, but so far, it's spot on. With the Zodi it is basically on all the time. Turn pump on, turn flame on, let heat, turn flame off, finish showering. In the winter water cools off REALLY fast doing that.

The areas I see problems with the Camplux rig is this. The hose from the heater, into the Ensuite. Which I am keeping at 5' to the connection, is a point where we can drop temps, BUT, the shower head being an on / off sort of thing, on water starts flowing, igniton happens, and hot water starts flowing through the hoses and shower head, turn it off, it all stops.

I will have 12' inside the ensuite, but will be out of the way for wind, and once the steamy hot water gets going, the shower tent gets and stays warm for a while... Keep the flow low, and water will last a while and get good and hot...

chet6.7

Explorer
The areas I see problems with the Camplux rig is this. The hose from the heater, into the Ensuite. Which I am keeping at 5' to the connection, is a point where we can drop temps, BUT, the shower head being an on / off sort of thing, on water starts flowing, igniton happens, and hot water starts flowing through the hoses and shower head, turn it off, it all stops.
If that is a problem, something like this might help.
URBEST Pipe Insulation Tubing 5/8" x 3/8" Heat Preservation Insulated 6-Foot Length Handle Grips

dbhost

I use it either way, au natural or a privy tent but one of my tents doesn’t have a floor, it hangs off the side of the truck. I haven’t used it in my tent with a floor. The one with the floor is the nemo one that allows the water to drain away. Haven’t showered in that one.
c4926f8654279fb2a180c04f832ce1bf.jpg

Nice setup!

dbhost

If that is a problem, something like this might help.
URBEST Pipe Insulation Tubing 5/8" x 3/8" Heat Preservation Insulated 6-Foot Length Handle Grips

Unless I have another big freeze like we did this February, I don't expect I will ever need that.

dbhost

So here is the entire bathroom rig enough to keep the wife happy, and deal with storage limitations for fuel.

Shower / heater. Camplux 5L
Shower head modded with hanging loop made from paracord and epoxy.
Extended hoses using 3/8" ID hi temp red transluscent hose, and Garden hose QDs. 12' of hose as Ensuite plumbing, 5' of hose between heater and ensuite.
Feed line is 1/2" ID Camco potable water hose, and Camco 40043 filter. Camco flex adapter.
3/8" line between pump and camco flex adapter, 3/8" barb x 3/4 GHT male adapter.
Baylite 1.2 GPM 12v pump. Wired with marine 12V plug, heat shrink crimps, silicone sealer and electrical taped harness.
3/8" line between pump and water source. Weighted filter.
Gas line is the Camplux stock line, fitted with a Steak Saver fitting to allow use of the little green 1lb bottles. May end up using 20lb tank anyway...

The idea here is pull into camp, set up shelters, hang the heater, place appliances, set up the gas, and click the hoses into place. Done.

Just if anyone is curious. The entire Ensuite setup is the shower above, in a Joolca Ensuite double. The 12' hose and shower head are mounted IN the ensuite, yes much longer than Joolcas the idea here is a handheld shower to be sure I am soaping and rinsing what needs to be done...

Gray water containment where necessary is a 36" fold up doggie pool with a hose connection / drain.

Toilet is a Jaxpety 5 gallon model.

MIrror is a Coghlans hanging camp mirror.

We use some old Samsonite toiletries travel bags. The kind that came with the TSA approved shampoo bottles.

Priority here is ease of setup / use with a close second on stowage.

Last edited:

fjatheart

Adventurer
Are there any models besides the Joolca that allows control from the shower head? This appeals to me as a parent so the kiddos can turn off and on from the shower head. Any other units turn the gas and water flow off and on from the shower head?
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94