Jon Speed Travel Van .... Mercedes T2 / Vario 814

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Hi Guys

I've just been lucky enough to purchase a 1994 T2/vario 814 4x4 :) ....... its the actual Jon Speed van from the book. !!!
"She who must be obeyed" says that we can't keep everything .... so something needs to go ...... I'm not sure were "She" is going to live though...
All joking aside i am going to be taking both vans to the Overland show this coming weekend if anyone wants come and have a chat and a look around.
Andy :smiley_drive:IMG_1553.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Very cool!

Rules on this site require an asking price and full description for a For Sale ad. Just FYI in case you want to advertise your vehicle here.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Any more pics to share with us yet Andy? I know we've all seen it in Travel Vans, but would me nice to see how it's done over the years.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Well that certainly is Margaret's van aka Jon Speed's 4x4 camper van that was stuck in Reno, NV for years. So it finally made it back to the UK? Damn! I was hoping it would sit for another few years till it was legal to import it into the US. Glad the new windshield was put in. The lot where it was stored had a young boy with a pellet gun next door who thought it cool to shoot at the windshield.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114600-1994-Mercedes-Benz-814D-3700

Here's the prior post with a ton of pictures I took as I crawled over the van. Great purchase!

Tad

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Damn! I was hoping it would sit for another few years till it was legal to import it into the US
I think several of us were waiting for that, as Tad did a great job of sharing information with us when the rig was trapped in Reno.

Thanks for sharing all the photos. I enjoyed seeing the van once again.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like that had a bed setup across the back of the van? Doesn't seem like it would be wide enough for that unless you were somewhat short.... He whats the deal with that bed?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Looks like that had a bed setup across the back of the van? Doesn't seem like it would be wide enough for that unless you were somewhat short.... He whats the deal with that bed?
By consulting my at-the-ready copy of Travel Vans, I can report that the bed mattress is 75" x 55" x 6". According to the plan drawings, his Vario has 2140 cm (84.25 inches) between the walls at the widest point.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Wow - that is a lot wider than a sprinter van. Thanks for the info.
Yep, the Varios can be substantially larger and more heavy duty. Some have 16,5000 pound GVWRs, two-and-a-half tons more than the 3500 Sprinters and near double the rating of the SRW 2500 cargos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles