Johny5's stealth camper van

Johny5

Adventurer
There is no bearing . It's 3 inch pipe and 3.5 pipe inside of each other .I like the unit bearing design but it would add a huge price increase . Would be cool if it was a spair unit bearing though . Although I can't think of how you would lock the big unit bearing in place.

Got limited progress this weekend because a big storm has knocked out power. I did do about 3 hours of lathe work off a generator modifying my front tcase out put for my drive shaft to work

Johny5

Adventurer
There is no bearing . It's 3 inch pipe and 3.5 pipe inside of each other .I like the unit bearing design but it would add a huge price increase . Would be cool if it was a spair unit bearing though . Although I can't think of how you would lock the big unit bearing in place.

Got limited progress this weekend because a big storm has knocked out power. I did do about 3 hours of lathe work off a generator modifying my front tcase out put for my drive shaft to work

david.lemke

Adventurer
While I have been following closely, and gathering parts for mine, I just noticed that you have a gear box where I have a rack and pinion........now I need to fab something up for this as well

Johny5

Adventurer
Wow I had not heard of these vans having rack and pinion . Post up a pic . It will probably be easy enough to convert to steering box being they came stock.

Edit just looked at a you tube video of a rack and pinion set up . The front cross member appeares to be back about 4-5 inches witch will likely be in the way of the track bar and and steering box .
You might be shopping for a.new frame or doing a lot of cutting to get a straight axle under there

Last edited:

Johny5

Adventurer
Well it's almost done . Need to lower the front down some more , hoping to get coil springs from a gas powered truck instead of the diesel coils.

Some random pics .

david.lemke

Adventurer
That is awesome, I would leave the front springs and put leveling blocks on the rear axle if it was me........just my 2 cents worth

Johny5

Adventurer
Oh its way high on the front . I would like the front to come down 2-3 inches . The rear has about 5 inches of lift with a taller perch and a 4 inch lift block . . I'll call around today for a gas truck coils

Johny5

Adventurer
Finally got it on the road today and her first job was to haul a couple tons of scrap metal. Van towed perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles