Johny5's stealth camper van

Johny5

Adventurer
This will be an ongoing build that I started 4-5 months ago and will be working on it for some time yet.
Started with a high milage 03 savana that needed an engine .I pulled the 4.8 out and dropped a 6.0 in and suprizingly it runs good on the 4.8 tune still .
I camp 2-3 nights a week at work because of the crappy shifts you get as a junior bus driver, so I need something stealth (no overnight camping rule, or guys would move into the lot in a rv full time ).
There is a criteria for the van to be my work truck (I also do a bit of construction work ) tow rig for my rock buggy and a camper /comuter. This van will eliminate a pu truck that sits around 28 days a month and a comuter astro van and 2 auto insurance policy a year.
So on with the pics

Last edited:

Johny5

Adventurer
Thanks . Took a bit to load pics , I'll try some more ....
So here's how it sits ,I'm part way through a 4x4 conversion, I mostly need the low range for towing up the mountain to our wheeling spots. I picked up a set of diffs from a wrecked f350 hit them with some por15. I'm just working out the steering before I can make the frame mounts.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks sharp. Haven't seen many homebrew 4x4 conversions on the gmc. Expect lots of questions coming your way from other gmc owners!

Cheers

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Axles from a f350 as in Ford?
Going into a GMC?
Why not GMC 3500 axles?

Not making an issue just wondering!

Johny5

Adventurer
That's a good question . Price. you can buy these axles dirt cheap because there are so many of these trucks with dead engines and there is no market for the diffs . They are also beefy. Payed $500 for a complete roller frame delivered to my shop.

Here's a pic with a 33 next to the 29 inch tire .my plan is to keep the van as low as possible on stock ford wheels .

This is the Maxx fan install . I wish I didn't cheap out and got the fan with remote .

Johny5

Adventurer
One of the first projects was to replace the seats . I always like leather or even vinyl seats over the cloth . I'm usually dirty from work and wheeling .
Made up a swivel passenger seat base and got all the power seats working (had to remove the seat computer for drivers memory )

Oh here's a pic of the rock buggy it will be pulling .

Johny5

Adventurer
Worked on the frame mounts today and got the steering sorted out too.

My plasma table

Boxed the inside top of the mount ,it was a bunch of work to fit but It's going to work well .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles