Johny5's stealth camper van

Johny5

Adventurer
Thanks guys . I finally got the front bumper on the van yesterday. The extra weight was nice because the f350 springs are stiff . Speed bumps are nice and smooth now .
I have slept in the van probably 30 40 nights since I have put the heater in .I can sleep about 5 nights on a gallon of diesel and I'm still using the main van battery. So far I have not had a dead battery but it's taxing on the battery. Oh and I wish I had got the bigger heater because it takes 20+ min to get the van warm when it's below freezing and runs on high heat all night to keep up .

As for pics of the steering the best pics I have are posted in this thread .
I'm going to start another build in the new year and will do a build thread on that van .

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
bumper looks great, not too wild... looks like the factory could have put it there.

Agreed, the bumper looks sharp, not too bulky, yet will knock a Prius out of your way. Is there room for a winch behind the bumper?

Johny5

Adventurer
Thanks . There is no room behind the bumper for a winch but there is a receiver hitch mount behind the license plate . I need to keep the bumper short so I could fit the van in the Garage

Johny5

Adventurer
Today I whipped up a tire mount that fits into the front bumper receiver . Oneday I plan to build a rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier .

ert01

Adventurer
I like it!

If it doesn't affect your cooking too drastically, I say keep it up front and that'll leave the rear bumper with LOTS of room for jerries and cargo boxes.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Someone else commented earlier that this beautiful machine is far from being "stealth". Every guy walking past it wished it was his! It probably looks more stealthy in BC than it would in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live. Most people will never know it's a camper van-good job on keeping it from looking a like Winnebago.

I have an extended Ford E350 and it looks like a conversion on my van would be easier than your van. Everything should almost be plug and play if I do it. I want the ability to travel on national forest roads without the fear of getting stuck. A locking rear end may be a good solution as I will rarely use 4x4.

Johny5

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I have no idea the kinda spray foam that got used ,but it's the kind that will push the body panels away from the body ribs (not ideal ,in the right light you can see the inside support ribs ).
And yes the van is no longer stealth. It seems to get lots of attention.
Here's some pics from a recent trip on vancouver island with a couple guys from the board .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz