Johny5's stealth camper van

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks great! Can't quite tell from the photos: did you add depth with the box, or is there just a "face" on the door and the depth is basically the door?

Asking because I want to do the same on my Astro, and I could use the depth, but not sure if I like the idea that I have to keep cargo to a certain depth to avoid hitting it with a protruding door box...

Johny5

Adventurer
I got some v10 coils and they lowered the van about a 1/4 inch so I cut them down , there still brutal on speed bumps. I did pick up some jeep xj lift coils to try out . They look like they will work.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Nice ride! I wanted to go coil-spring on mine, but the budget just wouldn't allow it.... These 52" leaf springs will have to do!

Johny5

Adventurer
Ok im still working on the van . Got my side steps built and installed

Also started on a front bumper but my plasma cutter broke so that's on hold.

I'm also installing a Planair heater right now and will post up pics soon . And another van followed me home. It will be getting a new engine and 4x4 conversion over the next couple months

Last edited:

Johny5

Adventurer
Got this little heater hooked up .it's a Russian made heater like the espar -wabcaso heater for about half the cost .
Installation was not to bad but the ribbed floor of the van was a bit tricky. I ended up cutting a larger hole than I wanted and then making up a sheet metal plate to mount to.

ert01

Adventurer
Interested to hear how it does for you. I've been eyeballing them too...

Did you get the gas or the diesel version?

martell06

Observer
I've been seeing those on eBay for a while. Really looking forward to your opinion on it. Maybe you could do a little review thread on it for us.

martell06

Observer
Forgive me is this has been covered. I see you spray foamed for insulation. Looks like 1/2" to 1" thick? How do you like it? What did it cost? I looked at the DIY kits at Home Depot and I'm waiting for a price from a local contractor.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Well, the Russians do know a thing or two about being cold/staying warm. I'd get a good Carbon monoxide detector.

I only see one draw tube. Is there a vent on the can? Otherwise your heater won't run very long.

Last edited:

Johny5

Adventurer
I spent last night in the van and it was cold out side . The heater seem to run a lot and the van was toasty warm . The thermostat controller could be simpler to operate. I did have it set at about 8 witch was too warm for my liking while sleeping . I was concerned about having a dead battery when I woke up from the amount that the heater was running but still had 12 volts in the battery.

There were no fumes inside the van . I did run the heater for about 45 min the first fire up to burn off any odors the heater had from assembly.
The intake and exhust come from under the van .I have the exhaust dumping out on the drives side and there is nasty half burnt diesel fumes apon start up . Not a big deal with the window up . I'm hoping it's not too noticeable when stealth camping .

And for Martell I know a guy who hooked me up for the spray foam job for $500 . It works nice for keeping the van cool in the summer and warm in winter but the glass is probably the worst loss . I have done foam board and bubble foil with same results in the past .
I also have wrinkles in the sides of my van from the spray foam . If it was a more expensive of a van in better shape I would be pissed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles