JLUR sleeping platform

wild1

Adventurer
I reconfigured the sleeping platform from my 5 gen 4 Runner to my JLUR and for the most part it worked pretty well. I use the same setup with 3 Plano sportsman’s boxes under rear section of the platform. This all fits nicely and every part of the platform will fit behind the seats when they are up. With the front sections in place and the seats slid all the way forward and tilted as far forward as they will go this gives 6 feet of deck space. The front portions of the deck rest on top of the center console and butt up to the back of the front seats. The biggest complaint I have and it seems pretty common is that unless you are 5’10 or under you are not going to be able to really stretch out. Today when I was trying to figure out how to make the seat tip further forward to gain a couple of inch,s

I realized I was going at it the wrong way. I pulled the headrests off the front seat and pushed them all the way forward and then fully reclined them.It worked out perfectly, the seat back sat at exactly the same level as the top of the console and would allow a deck to extend as far forward as you cared to build it. I am going to extend my front folding sections about 4 inches, that will give me a platform that is 6’4 long and 52 inch’s wide for most of it’s length. If you needed it to be longer there is at least another foot to work with. I will post a couple of cellphone pictures.

wild1

Adventurer
Sorry for the poor pic , this should give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157

billiebob

Awesome, thinking outside the box. I've only ever considered folding the seats forward. Verry coool !!
Takes me waay back to when you could buy a car with pullman seats.
75 years ago.
47-nash-bed-picnic.jpg

Last edited:

wild1

Adventurer
Awesome, thinking outside the box. I've only ever considered folding the seats forward. Verry coool !!
Takes me waay back to when you could buy a car with pullman seats.
75 years ago.
View attachment 585817
Those were great, I have always set my Suv's up to sleep inside. Always seemed like a better idea then spending thousands on a roof top tent when you could have a secure ,weather proof shelter for the cost of a sheet of plywood.

BroncoHound

Great idea! On my old JK (2-door) I'd done something similar and managed to get comfortably in the back (I'm 6'0") with the front passenger seat all the way forward and laying at an angle. I had plans to do the same thing with my on-order JLUR when it arrived but, looking at this, I think I'll adapt your idea and put a hinged section to go over the center console. Thanks for posting this!

IMG_1898.jpg

wild1

Adventurer
Great idea! On my old JK (2-door) I'd done something similar and managed to get comfortably in the back (I'm 6'0") with the front passenger seat all the way forward and laying at an angle. I had plans to do the same thing with my on-order JLUR when it arrived but, looking at this, I think I'll adapt your idea and put a hinged section to go over the center console. Thanks for posting this!

View attachment 595535
It works out pretty well, the wife and I did a big backcountry loop on the Rocky Mountain Front by Augusta last night. Slept well through rain and wind safe and secure. Wish there was a little more headroom but the platform sure provides a bunch of storage under it that makes up for the tight fit.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I built a sleeping platform with storage underneath for my JKU. It's actually been really handy and my daughters definitely prefer it to the floor board! I couldn't find a pic of it, but here's a link to the video where I show it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94