JLU Deeper Rear Storage

Jsweezy

Explorer
I have been getting my jeep fairly ready for weekend trips with the kids, so nothing crazy, but one thing that came up was a 50ah lithium battery and charge controller and where to put it...

Having come from the van conversion world where doing a rear under floor storage isn't a big deal, I took a look and realized all I needed to do was make a deeper rear storage area to be able to mount the battery and charger in. Oh and then that gives me more space for stuff I want to bring that I wouldn't use all the time.

Main obstacle is obviously the exhaust. Mind you, I absolutely despise jeep exhausts for their loud and obnoxious drone, but I gave MagnaFlow a try with their new "Overlander" exhaust from the cat back that is supposed to be decent. I just got it installed tonight so there is no way of knowing how I feel about it yet, but upon a startup I was happy that in my 2 car garage with the door open it wasn't obnoxious. So, now that the rear exhaust is out of the way, I can begin to figure out the box situation.

Fortunately, I have the ability to use CAD to order bent panels of sheet metal that my buddy can then weld together.

If any of you have any ideas about things yo would like to see or implement let me know. I plan to make the box sit just above or flush with the rear frame and take up as much space as possible in the rear. These jeeps are snug!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I found a thread way back when on JeepForum or similar where somebody combined the "big" rear cubby with the jack storage "slot" (that's behind it) to make one much bigger area.
It was neat, and I really wanted to do it, but I have 0 skills of welding.

I always thought I would use a muffler that is quite a bit thinner so the massive cubby could then hang down lower without lowering the muffler overall.

That would be really neat to see.

-Dan

Zeep

Adventurer
Your idea sounds interesting. Have you thought about maybe raising the rear cargo floor as well, for a trade off?
Most will not pack items, all the way to the roof.

zgfiredude

Dominion Offroad makes one of these for the JK. Their site has a link to the installation instructions with several photos that may be of help. While I haven't looked for a JL version.....one may exist.

Also, American Adventure Labs makes a cool aux. battery bracket for this space that is JL specific.

Good luck.

pith helmet

i love this idea, although i kind of like the sound of the jeep, i hate where the muffler is.
i think something like this could work for someone with or without a welder.
pan.jpg
just cut a hole in the floor and insert, bolt it or use self tapping screws and a really good silicon.
share some pics of your projects as you go along, if you dont mind.

billiebob

Have you thought about maybe raising the rear cargo floor as well,
I have often thought of this for my TJ.

Raise the floor and add a custom gas tank,,,, say 35 instead of 19 gallons.... kinda like an old Corvette tanker.
I now have a second damaged TJR sooo.... maybe

At any rate, if you can modify the exhaust and stay legal, definitely do it.

86scotty

Cynic
Interesting idea Sweezy. I'm trying to get in to a JLU myself and I have yet to figure out aux battery storage. In my last JKU I just put a giant AGM in the rear passenger floorboard boxed in under a Goose Gear type setup but obviously that's a problem if you have passengers.

pith helmet

Wow, I just saw how big the JLU cargo box is. Huge compared to JK. I looked at mine and even the largest stainless pan I can find is still too small to work.

Zeep

Adventurer
I have zero space on the floor of my LJR.(underside) That being said, the extended length of the 2 door unlimited, makes the rear wheel well housings
a great place to store things!

Jsweezy

Explorer
Alright ya'll, Ill get you guys some more info this weekend and show you some drawings so you can give me some feedback. Sorry I started this and haven't gotten any further, life seems to be getting in my way ha ha. Plus I am also not ready to tear apart the jeep and not drive it for a week while I wait for parts.

I was initially going to have it welded together but now I am kind of debating on making it bolt together and then just use some super thin foam or whatever to keep any exhaust or anything from leaking in. But even the stock box isn't totally sealed and has the drain plug so I dunno. I could even make it press together with some 3m tape and then just use a couple bolts on the sides.... gotta get measuring and drawing...

Jsweezy

Explorer
Interesting idea Sweezy. I'm trying to get in to a JLU myself and I have yet to figure out aux battery storage. In my last JKU I just put a giant AGM in the rear passenger floorboard boxed in under a Goose Gear type setup but obviously that's a problem if you have passengers.

Yep, It was the first thing I thought when I got my jeep was I could just throw it under the rear seat because I usually have car seats there for my kids. But I was by myself one day and needed to load a hand cycle and when I went to fold it flat one day and just about crushed all the random stuff I had placed under the seat and was like well... damn...

Thats when I started thinking about the rear storage and how I installed the underfloor storage on the van I had and figured shoot this is already cut for it, just gotta mount a bigger box.

sourdoughben

I have looked at adding a much bigger/deeper box into the cargo floor and it is very doable. If, you remove the JL's suitcase sized muffler and swap out the factory swaybar for a RockJock Antirock swaybar. I think its a great spot for a full size auxilary battery. This mod is on the back burner but may happen this winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior