JL to many electronics for the own good?

jktowhere

Observer
So same ole post I feel like these days...

Have a 15 jku Sahara. 3.5 aev, no lockers. 35’s. Armored etc etc. I’m really happy where it is now minus the axles / locker. The plan was to put larger axles under it and go to 37. 2-4 year plan is ls swap so engine trans b tween the two mean nothing to me. I like the jk dash better myself and I’ve been super happy with the jeep minus a steering box sector shaft debacle. I tend to take it camping and overland, but will do trails like Kane Creek. I want to point the jeep and get to where I want to go while being smart about my route.

I like that the JL offers. Dash is nice but meh to me personally, but I’m sure it would grown on me. If I went JL I would upgrade to a Rubicon.

What’s holding me back is that I do a ton of back country. Gone for days etc etc. 1- after the failure I had with the sector shaft and the retrivial of the vehicle being a massive ordeal, the hybrid box on the jl scares me, but I do t know enough about it. 2- when do the jeeps become a problem when they have to many electronics etc etc. I get the jeep dirty, rained on etc etc. I have fun with it and the idea of being stuck well out in the back country due to software or the such would frustrate the hell out of me.

Am I thinking rationally or over thinking this? That’s truly my only hold up on the JLu

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I drove 3 and all of them whistled at highway speeds. Never had a JK do that. I just bought a Recon a month ago because I still like the JK platform and the support will be better for many years. Not one thing on the JL will make it $5-10K better than my Recon. Maybe I will be interested later, but I wasn't really impressed when I drove it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
If you're that worried about the ECU/ELEX----

Buy a pre 1970 vehicle !

It doesn't bother me--I'll keep mine on order1

Good luck

JIMBO

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Oh...DJKU, New rig? did you get all that front end suspension goodies from your 2 door?

I traded the Willy's in about a month ago. I loved it, but it was really too small for my future plans and I wanted a Recon. After driving 3 JL's I was not impressed especially in the wind noise department. As far as all the suspension stuff that go left on the Jeep. I did not get all the SteerSmarts stuff off either. I really wish I could have, but I was in kind of a hurry when I was trying to finalize my deal for the Recon. Not many left so I had to move fast and just take things that bolted on/off quickly. I will likely buy the SteerSmarts stuff again in the future as I decide my plans for my Jeep.

zb39

Adventurer
You might be over thinking it a bit. When off road I think your far more likely to physically break something than have a computer go out on you. If your smart about your route you probably won't even break something. I will be ordering a 2019 2dr JL rubicon to flat tow behind my RAM 5500. The JK's are nice and I love them, but I want a new JL.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you're that worried about the ECU/ELEX----

Buy a pre 1970 vehicle !

It doesn't bother me--I'll keep mine on order1

Good luck

JIMBO
You ordered a JL?
I thought you're tall? I can't drive a JL without hitting my head. The dang seat doesn't go down enough or the bar is too close or something.
Pisses me off....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it dpends on your seat adjustment and steering wheel angle--these JL ruby's have a telescoping/angle adjusting steering wheel-

You probably didn't have that in the JK 2dr you had-

I'm a little less than 6'3" now HD, how tall are you ""

When I was 30 I was 6'5-1/2"', BUT NOW AT 75 I'm SHRINKING-

WHAT THE HELL-

Whatever

JIMBO

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm still 6'5" ----- you have to stretch, Jim.

I "tried on" a JLU Sport and a Rubicon. I even got salespeople involved. Tried the seat and steering wheel every which way.
Pissed me off --- I was looking forward to getting a JLU diesel eventually. I've got 104,000 miles on my JKU now.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Well, I've got a couple inch's on you HD and I'll show pics after I get the Jl--

I won't be doing hiwy trips with the jeep, I've got that RAM and so I needed a jeep back, but mainly for the NV desert where my "VACATION" home is-

Life goes on-

Have a great day HD

JIMBO

I just bought a jlu rubicon I live it I started with a cj 7 worked my way up through a lot of jeeps and others. I had a jkur 08 that I ran 175000 on it was lifted OME 4 inch heavy duty warn armorrails etc. I ran stock gears and. 315 7017 I have the new jlur premium soft top. I don’t have any issues with wind noise. It’s about the same as my hardtop 08 As for electronics I don’t see much difference. If all your gauges go out. No biggie. In my jkur the nav would periodically go out never affected the running of the jeep The jlur is just so much more comfortable. I drive a lot I wouldn’t hesitate to go off the beaten path for along while in either.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Heh Heh, yeah, we're gonna hear a lot about them this year and then after the 2019's come out--

I'll be getting mine SOON !

Whatever

JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles