JKU vs JLU

pittsburgh

tacocat
Guys, I am going to be a dad and the girl friend wants me to get rid of my Tacoma 2015 DCSB TRD OR and my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. She currently drives a Subaru Crosstrek. Her logic is two cars instead of three will save us more money and be easier with living in the city. I am considering it but I am not completely sold on this idea. I originally had it narrowed down to these maybe cars, a 2017/18 JKU if I find a sweet deal or a 4runner. I drove the 4runner and I don't like it as much as my Taco, so on Tuesday I am going to drive JK's and check out the JL's as well and see what my impressions are. After doing a little internet research it does look like I can score a JKU Rubicon manual transmission for less than a JLU Sport with a hard top, auto, and dana 44. To score a hot deal on a JKU Rubicon I ll have to drive a 100-200 miles outside of my current bubble. I have found about 3 JUK Rubicons for under $35k with in 500 miles from here. I have also found some JKU Sports for under $32k with a hard top with a soft top I have found JKU's for under $28k with in 20 miles of my home. I feel like these JKU's might be worth pursuing but I would like to hear from people who have gone from a JK to a JL. So... Hello is there anyone out there?

Attachments

• IMG_7823.jpg
    IMG_7823.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 77
  • 617B839C-6BA2-4EE6-B58B-A43C9BBE5691.jpg
    617B839C-6BA2-4EE6-B58B-A43C9BBE5691.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 70

ratled

Adventurer
What do you/she expects to change/improve by buying a new/er cars over the 3 you have, how will you use these that you can't do now? With kith kids you need LOTS of room and you have a back seat on the taco now plus the bed. Baby seats fit just fine in that. You have a new family do you need a new car on top of that? More kids on the way? have her get a mini van ..... you'll thank me later

That said my 2017 JKU HR would be fine with a family of 3... add another in the mix and it is too small for all of the stuff you will find your are bringing for the kids - diaper bags, playpens, clothes changes, toys etc.. it will add up.

ratled

pittsburgh

tacocat
What do you/she expects to change/improve by buying a new/er cars over the 3 you have, how will you use these that you can't do now? With kith kids you need LOTS of room and you have a back seat on the taco now plus the bed. Baby seats fit just fine in that. You have a new family do you need a new car on top of that? More kids on the way? have her get a mini van ..... you'll thank me later

That said my 2017 JKU HR would be fine with a family of 3... add another in the mix and it is too small for all of the stuff you will find your are bringing for the kids - diaper bags, playpens, clothes changes, toys etc.. it will add up.

ratled

This is one and done! There will be NO minivan! :) Basically she is trying to use this as an excuse to convince me to consolidate down to one vehicle. I know the Taco is an excellent dad-mobile, and the jeep came way before the girl friend lol. However in her defense there are times I would be nice to only have 2 cars. Parking in the city can be a little frustrating sometimes, and I tend to keep the Jeep in the garage next to her Subaru, and the Taco on the street.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I reserve the right to tell you "I told you so" ! :victory:
BTW the is how we do it, Jeep right next to the mini van in garage and the truck got kicked to the curb.

No minivan! besides I am too old for more than one kid, I barely have enough energy to walk the dog. But, back to Jeeps, Your JKU is pretty good with one kid? And have you considered going to a JL at all?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Keep the three. When your toy becomes the daily driver then you have to be more cautious. If they are paid off, then ask yourself is easier parking worth 20k?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'd have a really tough time selling that Tacoma <insert wolf whistle here> :)
If I was in your shoes, I'd either sell the Jeep and bank the money for a few years, or I'd sell the Jeep, and put lift, lockers, gears 33" tires and sliders on the Tacoma, then bank what's left.

I'm a huge JKU Rubicon HR "fan boy", and I think the JLU Rubicon will be even better all around. But man, that is one nice Tacoma! :beer:
At a minimum it might be worth while to wait it out, and see what comes of the diesel engine and 4cyl Turbo option on the JL.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I'd have a really tough time selling that Tacoma <insert wolf whistle here> :)
If I was in your shoes, I'd either sell the Jeep and bank the money for a few years, or I'd sell the Jeep, and put lift, lockers, gears 33" tires and sliders on the Tacoma, then bank what's left.

I'm a huge JKU Rubicon HR "fan boy", and I think the JLU Rubicon will be even better all around. But man, that is one nice Tacoma! :beer:
At a minimum it might be worth while to wait it out, and see what comes of the diesel engine and 4cyl Turbo option on the JL.

Thanks I love my Truck. But push comes to shove I am a jeep guy :). However the truck drives so nice I took it to Moab instead of the Jeep. IMG_8558.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I am always impressed when I wheel with Tacoma guys. On paper it shouldn't be as good as it is, if you know what I mean. But how well the engineering design meets with real world usage, always impresses me.
Not sure you are gaining much by going to a JKU-R, unless you plan on wheeling some really difficult stuff with a lift and tires.
I had a '14 JKU-R X version (same thing as a Hard Rock) loaded and lifted with 35" tires & 4.10 gears.
It could do more than the Tacomas, but not by much when it was stock.

Good luck which ever way you go. :beer:

nastav

Adventurer
Now is the ideal time to tell your GF that her consolidation of her clothes/purse/shoe collection will save you money and hassle when it comes time to organize the baby’s clothes.

I would make no changes until you’ve had the kid for a year.
Tell her that you will discuss on the kids first birthday.
Tacoma is good with kids because the stroller fits in bed.
Plus the taco has a built in changing table (tailgate)
Now is the ideal time to buy an ARB (or similar) fridge, as you’ll want to transport the baby’s food/milk etc in a controlled temperature environment.

Backseat access will be a PITA with car seats in LJ Jeep.
I have a AEV JKU and I wouldn’t get rid of an old Jeep and a nice new Tacoma to have a JKU.
I have a 5year old kid.
Tacoma great for bring all the baby furniture and crappy plastic toys home from the strip malls.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Now is the ideal time to tell your GF that her consolidation of her clothes/purse/shoe collection will save you money and hassle when it comes time to organize the baby’s clothes.

I would make no changes until you’ve had the kid for a year.
Tell her that you will discuss on the kids first birthday.
Tacoma is good with kids because the stroller fits in bed.
Plus the taco has a built in changing table (tailgate)
Now is the ideal time to buy an ARB (or similar) fridge, as you’ll want to transport the baby’s food/milk etc in a controlled temperature environment.

Backseat access will be a PITA with car seats in LJ Jeep.
I have a AEV JKU and I wouldn’t get rid of an old Jeep and a nice new Tacoma to have a JKU.
I have a 5year old kid.
Tacoma great for bring all the baby furniture and crappy plastic toys home from the strip malls.

The Tacoma is great for bringing stuff home lol! Already have the baby furniture.

Really the only draw back to the Taco is parking in the city. Especially at work.

That’s one of the reasons I entertained her idea and started looking at 2018 JLU’s, JKU’s, and 4Runners. Hoping one of them would feel more “nimble” for city life.

When I lived in the suburbs of Colorado I had a 6 car driveway and for work I didn’t have to park in a compact parking garage everyday. First world problems! I ll just have to pretend I am in Moab when parking at work.

I think you are right and I should wait a year, I hate hasty decision making.

My other problem is Allstate is killing me with insurance on 3 cars. I think I ll be shopping for a new insurance company this week.

Last edited:

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Every time time we've looked at new vehicles (since being Jeep owners) it comes down to:
  • Will it do well offroad?
  • Can I take the top off?
  • Can I take the doors off?
I wheel with Tacos and 4 runners all the time, and they do great. I'd have no issue with either, EXCEPT that in summer I can't roll naked in them. That's the biggest thing for the wife and I.

As far as JK vs. JL, we bought recently and went with JK. I was ready to build and didn't want to wait for the after market to catch up. The JLs are nice and we'll add one in the future.

My kids are all old and all drive themselves, we're on grandkid #3 and they all love riding in the Jeep. One is old enough to do multi-day trips with me (us)

Tough decision, good luck!!

pi8fVJ.jpg

pi8VUj.jpg

ratled

Adventurer
"My kids are all old and all drive themselves, we're on grandkid #3 and they all love riding in the Jeep. One is old enough to do multi-day trips with me (us)"

@ Blue Baby Sound - nice job!
index.png

ratled

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Sounds like a trap to me.

Personally I would keep them both for financial reasons. Consolidating to one newer vehicle may be convenient in some ways... but not financially.

Does it really balance out enough to make the hit worth it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles