JKU Trail Kitchen build....

Viatorem

Thanks and you're correct, it's not 80/20. Check out http://www.zyltech.com, slightly less than an inch. I'm thinking it's around 13/16, but plenty strong enough and much cheaper than 80/20.
wow thanks for the info. I've seen their stuff on Amazon, but never gave it a look. This has everything. What size tap & hardware did you use for the corner connectors? Yes, 20mm is plenty beefy for this application, and far less-weight than 1/2in plywood.

harpersJK

wow thanks for the info. I've seen their stuff on Amazon, but never gave it a look. This has everything. What size tap & hardware did you use for the corner connectors? Yes, 20mm is plenty beefy for this application, and far less-weight than 1/2in plywood.

I used a combination of their corner clips and sometimes I'd tap the center spline for a 1/4-20 and countersink it and run it in from the other side. I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

Viatorem

Thanks for the pic Randy. I hadnt considered that method for a butt-joint connection. In previous builds I made "L-brackets" out of aluminum L-angle, but that was very labor-intensive cutting, filing, drilling. I'm buying them this time!

Also this time - for the main corners I'm considering either "corner cubes" (which require tapping M5 or M6?) or the 3-way connector which uses set-screws. Which do you think is the stronger/sturdiest bracket for the corners?

harpersJK

Thanks for the pic Randy. I hadnt considered that method for a butt-joint connection. In previous builds I made "L-brackets" out of aluminum L-angle, but that was very labor-intensive cutting, filing, drilling. I'm buying them this time!

Also this time - for the main corners I'm considering either "corner cubes" (which require tapping M5 or M6?) or the 3-way connector which uses set-screws. Which do you think is the stronger/sturdiest bracket for the corners?

I used their standard angle brackets and they seem to hold very well. The only thing I didn't like was the m5 screws and nuts. They're somewhat small to work with, but after awhile you get used to them.

I wanted to try the 3 way connectors, but I never ordered any. I would expect those would be a stronger connection for the corners.

Randy

harpersJK

So now that a year has passed, any words of wisdom? I am thinking about building just the cooler/kitchen slide.

It's worked out flawlessly for the past year, no issues at all. My only change has been the rear platform, tore off the vinyl and went with a bedliner. I'll be putting it to the test later this year, I have a coast to coast trip planned.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Randy
Instagram: overland_rubi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles