JKU suspension upgrade needed - Opinions Welcome

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Anyone know people running Rockkrawler Springs on a heavy JKU? People really seem to love the ride on these springs - -but I don't know how they handle the weight...

As a side note, I replaced all my factory arms with new factory takes off...it was unreal the improvement in the ride. I don't recall the mileage on the jeep, but it was somewhere in the 60-80k range. Also, my swaybar bushings were looking ok, but not great front/rear. Amazing the difference in the ride when I put new MOPAR bushings back in...something for those with high mileage heavy jeeps to consider.

Boatmonkey

Observer
I am. 3.5" lift. They sag a ton in the rear and I hit my bumpstops on a regular basis on mild terrain. Very disappointed in the springs. I plan on upgrading to the heavy duty Terraflex or OME's in then near future.

Anyone know people running Rockkrawler Springs on a heavy JKU? People really seem to love the ride on these springs - -but I don't know how they handle the weight...

As a side note, I replaced all my factory arms with new factory takes off...it was unreal the improvement in the ride. I don't recall the mileage on the jeep, but it was somewhere in the 60-80k range. Also, my swaybar bushings were looking ok, but not great front/rear. Amazing the difference in the ride when I put new MOPAR bushings back in...something for those with high mileage heavy jeeps to consider.

autism family travels

Teraflex outback springs for really heavy jeeps is the way to go. If you are what I consider medium weight ( meaning driving most of the time empty, then putting your gear in the back for camping trips etc, I recommend the regular teraflex springs with a set of airlift 1000s. That way when you are empty you have a good controlled ride and when you load up, you can fill the bags and have the same controlled ride. My thoughts on a heavy jeeps are ones with cargo solutions, etc built in and not removed at all. Don't forget to run falcon shocks too, they are the BEST!

jadmt

ignore button user

I have had Rock Krawler coils in 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 and while I loved the ride on and off road both the 2.5 and 3.5 rear coils sagged. RK warrantied the first set after jumping thru all kinds of hoops and blaming the sag on everything else. The actually tried to blame it on my shocks (shocks dont cause sag) my pinion angle which was perfect and even said some people liked the dog taking a poop look. When my second set started to sag I went another route and never looked back. I will never use another RK suspension again. AEV coils have not sagged one iota.

St8ton

I'm swapping over to OME Heavies 2.25/2.0" from my AEV 2.5 setup hopefully this week. Since starting this post I've added a roof top tent and I'm re-doing my drawer system so I've gotten a little weight. I'll report back with my findings and experience along with some measurements hopefully. Although it'll be brand new springs versus 50K springs so it won't exactly be apples to apples.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I just installed 1" spacer in the front and 3/4" on the rear...still doesn't look like it did when it was freshly lifted, but the ride is significantly better (since it is out of the bumptops a little more). I should have installed 1.5" front and 1" rear, but I had 3/4" rears laying around and picked up a set of used 1" fronts.

I am running Mopar 2" lift springs ... And they have not held the weight well at all.

If anyone cares, the front mopar spring length is 19" or so and the front shocks are about 24". The spring rate is about the same as stock (unscientific me sit in bumper & measure test).

The Mopar lift leaves about 2" of shock uptravel front and rear when running their supplied spacers.

Better drop-down brake line brackets (or include some) should have come with the kit - they are pretty tight in the stock configuration. I've bent the brackets to help out a bit.

The rear track bar bracket hits the frame on driver side and the driver coil hits the trackbar bolt. (Also seen by others). In 30-40k miles the springs have sagged about 3/4 of an inch (after settling for a few months)... They sag even more with AEV bumper and winch.

The folks on Wrangler forum love this lift - if running light, I'd say it is an ok lift -> the rear trackbar bracket smacking the frame is unbelievable and the loss of 2" of shock travel is also really lame. The shocks are too short (I'd have to check to see if the sprung will pop out with some 1.5-2" extensions. I feel like Mopar didnt do their homework on this lift.

autism family travels

I just installed 1" spacer in the front and 3/4" on the rear...still doesn't look like it did when it was freshly lifted, but the ride is significantly better (since it is out of the bumptops a little more). I should have installed 1.5" front and 1" rear, but I had 3/4" rears laying around and picked up a set of used 1" fronts.

I am running Mopar 2" lift springs ... And they have not held the weight well at all.

If anyone cares, the front mopar spring length is 19" or so and the front shocks are about 24". The spring rate is about the same as stock (unscientific me sit in bumper & measure test).

The Mopar lift leaves about 2" of shock uptravel front and rear when running their supplied spacers.

Better drop-down brake line brackets (or include some) should have come with the kit - they are pretty tight in the stock configuration. I've bent the brackets to help out a bit.

The rear track bar bracket hits the frame on driver side and the driver coil hits the trackbar bolt. (Also seen by others). In 30-40k miles the springs have sagged about 3/4 of an inch (after settling for a few months)... They sag even more with AEV bumper and winch.

The folks on Wrangler forum love this lift - if running light, I'd say it is an ok lift -> the rear trackbar bracket smacking the frame is unbelievable and the loss of 2" of shock travel is also really lame. The shocks are too short (I'd have to check to see if the sprung will pop out with some 1.5-2" extensions. I feel like Mopar didnt do their homework on this lift.

that's why they should have left their suspension offerings to teraflex. They were much better!

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer

I have had Rock Krawler coils in 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 and while I loved the ride on and off road both the 2.5 and 3.5 rear coils sagged. RK warrantied the first set after jumping thru all kinds of hoops and blaming the sag on everything else. The actually tried to blame it on my shocks (shocks dont cause sag) my pinion angle which was perfect and even said some people liked the dog taking a poop look. When my second set started to sag I went another route and never looked back. I will never use another RK suspension again. AEV coils have not sagged one iota.
Thx for the feedback on their coils... I may try AEV or OME next. Ive been kick around the idea of running 37s, but the next set of tires I buy will be for the van. My sprinter has 35" Duratracs and these are not a good match for the van (need heavier duty/stiffier tire) - so I will be moving these to the Jeep. ... So thr next set of springs will be a 3.5 or 4" lift (to get ready for 37s)...

I'm swapping over to OME Heavies 2.25/2.0" from my AEV 2.5 setup hopefully this week. Since starting this post I've added a roof top tent and I'm re-doing my drawer system so I've gotten a little weight. I'll report back with my findings and experience along with some measurements hopefully. Although it'll be brand new springs versus 50K springs so it won't exactly be apples to apples.

Let me know how it goes. Just came back from a camping trip with my added spacer setup - it did much better and now I am convinced that more uptravel is good...

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Teraflex outback springs for really heavy jeeps is the way to go. If you are what I consider medium weight ( meaning driving most of the time empty, then putting your gear in the back for camping trips etc, I recommend the regular teraflex springs with a set of airlift 1000s. That way when you are empty you have a good controlled ride and when you load up, you can fill the bags and have the same controlled ride. My thoughts on a heavy jeeps are ones with cargo solutions, etc built in and not removed at all. Don't forget to run falcon shocks too, they are the BEST!
I had airbags for quite a while and found them to pogo too much. Granted this was with worn out stock shocks and then with Rancho RS9000 gimmicks... My preference this go around is to run with the proper spring setup since this rig will continue to run heavy and haul lots for quite a while....I'll look into the Teraflex springs. The lack of sprung rate info is really really stoooooopid.

MattJ

Adventurer
Quick update on the project I mentioned on the previous page in this thread: I bought another set of Bilstein shocks and coated them with Sharkhide and swapped them for the original AEV shocks that I had installed a year ago. Hopefully the Sharkhide keeps them from looking horrible for at least a few years. I sure wish AEV or the shop that installed my suspension upgrade had mentioned how bad raw steel shocks look without protection.

PS - you can also see the upgraded anti-sway bar in the last photo - I mentioned that on the previous page, too.

y4mWNaHrcs2IJoQfuhMnVtsJDUy1mwsuYVM2LzDvi9sY90w8Tn-rb54sv4-cctVRUyHI4dqNNv_cKkwqUF2rqTuEt07PzGj2FGQ8IurVFCMV2yozGR4kkWjVxKfNNXkzYgfrW7RMKfysBI-JanGlz9yunnFFRzZOA_bAFrfDKDmtenLFGpqI7fcAX7NN3egAEConz4WC9iS0YpRzKP0VmN5mA

y4mL0cibRbMq1vsRYJcDChpumAuqf5qwbtLFJ2cYbHlLNHPHDYOLX5BD31my2Bx5eldRqiX272BBrtwkNXXO4LcADCvZucW9iOZN1OdHDw3co1ieHoqI5_FGkf65nWwyFiUMxgubi8JP4Kx1vm2YpT7MPZdm7H6QfuHakuoEtRrpo9XCCG1Apd6btzUri4zdnvcNmEVAQ41lWlX0n9i6BEczA

y4mJZcp7sjhs2zI-7lepTPsYMcFvkU2wdpwGJzq3Ot_syDSGH55C8BY19mckY7nmd5IG7-75VOHmeiBj34gT8b1z8e-VFCFk4rGZnzW2o70Z4_dlTwalKUfn4iCM9t6vovwIveHm3bGGJk40Z3en7-Ygh6r0MNqw22cHVC-BhyiKu5bNaN72Pn4THsr8ybTznMQTbXwXoDEznFjTUNFTn8cqg

y4m-g_7radtXh6fh1c3TDz16eEE6OhBqVeDeQBqiYnLGkMzNB1ABOByXf1uR3h-0N5d5IVVQFJrk60G3QVLX89TanyCq8LHhsvADWNTxwJNqCSXe7ZLSJNmlwagc35-Ewb_66I0dpV0nY7g6zLJBdCAm6TVo07Zil4nCNd1CTcJ_MLVKLTBy7mUqqNOtsjx2fpwn-sAmcRQpvxYx1leeBjL8g

slvyj

Observer
Great thread, don't know how I missed it. I have a AEV 2.5, Gobi Roof Rack w/tent, fridge and everything else. When fully loaded, the rear suspension sags and hits the bump stops. I'm looking at airbags but for those with AEV2.5 that switched to OME, is it a simple swap just the springs or do you need to replace other components? Did you do front and rear or just the rear?

Kingfish

I've been shopping lifts and everything else that will entail. I'm looking at a Teraflex Alpine CT3 with Falcon 3.2 shocks or something very similar. I have a '15 JKU Sahara with D30 stock front axle. I am planning to install 17" wheels with 35" tires. The shop that I take my Jeep to said that I should definitely replace the axle with a Dana44 at minimum if I plan to go with 35's. I'll definitely be regearing to 4.1 but those with experience or knowledge, do you think it would be critical to replace the front axle? The rear is a stock D44.

The shop was recommending that I find a Rubicon take-off with 4.1 gears installed, plus that would include the locking diff. Obviously all a huge benefit but again, another huge expense to an already expensive upgrade. If the D30 isn't up to the task, then so be it but I'm curious who has gone down this path before and what their experiences were.

slvyj

Observer
Depends the type of wheeling you do. Full throttle on the rocks, a Rubicon 44 with 35's will not survive. I have a heavy Rubicon with 35's but I avoid the really difficult terrain, I'm mainly on forest roads. I also don't think the factory locker will work with a Sahara. If worried about it, aftermarket offers ways to strengthen the axle or you could get a entirely new aftermarket axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles