JKU suspension upgrade needed - Opinions Welcome

Weeds

Adventurer
I have the OME heavy duty 7 years now. The springs hold up well. I added the Hellwig sway bar a couple of years ago. I did not notice much difference, I do drive aggressively. I am still searching for the right shock. The OME's lasted until the warranty expired, two had failed. My Rancho 9000 no longer adjust. I took the knobs off and lubricated, no help. I think I will try the Teraflex falcon series next.

MattJ

Adventurer
Here's my Jeep on the scale and another photo that shows how much gear gets packed when I take my boys on a trek with me. I'm way over the GAWR due to 35" tires, bumpers, armor, roof tent and more, but the AEV 3.5" kit helps. I called Hellwig and left a message - I'd definitely like less sway since I am so top heavy. Everything handles fine at 75mph, but I do grip the steering wheel a bit tighter when I'm circling around an off-ramp and trying to slow the beast down. I'll let you know what I learn from Hellwig.

y4mqUSxktjooj30e69nJyGtNGaBcJv6Dc33ozOKOgMcmGpzMafYUzMAFj0-TQ3Rav6ztVCw4YCwoAqUUkKbVYkvagb5J8yaC8gnpD4eW6Kzv1xU11TDMxoyooGwgCHcYvQimqpyxYXwrNko8vwCCLsP7TDmGLboZafXK1kvONOIBzeXlHG_C4r7YKzkGpuj_a1hAJThPvzfdAoDhv-rteENiA

y4mLPbqAPkVRsOg3qd3UGnrNn3bXNr2v1siVkMEcg4iSHlb8STzFglyeQZm7lSxFLg6n7C1a1lOyw4IEPvkzOUtbNYh88QmU1hAyHqdx1ROPqsvSZTXx5TyNcfA6LnY4jv6H1v_eQ8nWMw6fgeWQK9wIUQzsJ9lna5G2CJjV5PqG0stabWARCmco3fh9R2rCE1Bj8FZL5p537nnilPb_yWabQ

HKLover

HKLover please tell me about that ladder. I’m thinking I could adapt that to my J30 with great results. It would be nice to have a second way out if the weather is nice. Also does the additional light onto of your brake light tie into the reverse light? I could definitely use more light behind the jeep.

Thanks again,
Tom

The ladder on the side is made by Maximus-3 and is part of their Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform roof rack. There is a small bracket that is sandwiched in between the hard top and tub of the Jeep at the bottom and then it attaches to the roof rack with the same square nuts in the track that you would use attach other accessories. https://maximus-3.com/roof-rack

The lights on the tail lights are Ridgid Industries SRM lights and yes, they are wired to come on only when the vehicle is in reverse. They are a huge improvement over the stock reverse lights built into the tail lights and really light things up behind you. One of the best upgrades I did early in my build.

HKLover

Here's my Jeep on the scale and another photo that shows how much gear gets packed when I take my boys on a trek with me. I'm way over the GAWR due to 35" tires, bumpers, armor, roof tent and more, but the AEV 3.5" kit helps. I called Hellwig and left a message - I'd definitely like less sway since I am so top heavy. Everything handles fine at 75mph, but I do grip the steering wheel a bit tighter when I'm circling around an off-ramp and trying to slow the beast down. I'll let you know what I learn from Hellwig.

y4mqUSxktjooj30e69nJyGtNGaBcJv6Dc33ozOKOgMcmGpzMafYUzMAFj0-TQ3Rav6ztVCw4YCwoAqUUkKbVYkvagb5J8yaC8gnpD4eW6Kzv1xU11TDMxoyooGwgCHcYvQimqpyxYXwrNko8vwCCLsP7TDmGLboZafXK1kvONOIBzeXlHG_C4r7YKzkGpuj_a1hAJThPvzfdAoDhv-rteENiA

y4mLPbqAPkVRsOg3qd3UGnrNn3bXNr2v1siVkMEcg4iSHlb8STzFglyeQZm7lSxFLg6n7C1a1lOyw4IEPvkzOUtbNYh88QmU1hAyHqdx1ROPqsvSZTXx5TyNcfA6LnY4jv6H1v_eQ8nWMw6fgeWQK9wIUQzsJ9lna5G2CJjV5PqG0stabWARCmco3fh9R2rCE1Bj8FZL5p537nnilPb_yWabQ

So what does it weigh in at out of curiosity.

MattJ

Adventurer
So what does it weigh in at out of curiosity.

The answer is, too much!

Here's the thread on the topic, from last year: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/is-my-jeep-too-heavy.184084/

It was 5,800 pounds in that photo, but it's only gotten heavier since then (more armor, dual batteries, twin 5-gallon water cans at 40 pounds each . . . the list goes on). Plus, I didn't have any passengers in the Jeep when I weighed it. Ultimately, I concluded that I'm lucky I picked the AEV 3.5" when I started my build. And I just need to be careful and pay attention to the handling characteristics (how it looks AND feels) when I'm fully loaded. Not much else I can do.

MattJ

Adventurer
Update: I spoke with Kevin at Hellwig. He advised to purchase their Jeep JK 7/8″ Rear Sway Bar (item 7706) but not to purchase a Hellwig front sway bar since I would lose the ability to disconnect it electronically from the driver seat (a standard feature on the Rubicon model JKU).

forsakenfuture

Explorer
First off, several of your comments lead me to ask what tire pressures you are running and have you considered a more AT style tire?

I'm in a nearly identical situation as you minus the J30 (would love one). I've been running the AEV 2.5" for roughly 50,000 miles and have really loved it...in a low to no added weight situation. In the last 5,000 miles I've recently started using the Jeep more for exploration and adventure...mild offroading. In full load-out I've got an ARB 50L fridge, Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, drawer system, solar setup with Yeti 1000, Oztent RV5, along with various other items for camp setup. I'm pretty heavy aside from camp stuff, full skids, sliders, AEV rear tire carrier with 35"s, front steel bumper with winch. I've probably sagged a little over time (who hasn't) but I've never taken any true measurements. I've recently started working backwards with my suspension: swapped out the AEV tuned Bilsteins for Fox 2.0 Performance IFPs and added a Hellwig Heavy Duty Rear sway bar. I cannot recommend the Hellwig Sway Bar enough. My biggest complaint was the bobble-heading and swaying over rollers and off camber terrain. So far, it is a major improvement and one that I wish I'd done a very long time ago. So of the best money I've spent. Highly recommend the Hellwig!
I was recently told by a trusted shop that the AEV 2.5 springs weren't designed to carry all this additional weight we are adding to the JKUs. And I have to agree after years of use. In working backwards I plan to test the shock and sway bar change first...if I still need more stiffening I'm going to the OME 2.25 Heavys. Supposedly they'll net more than 3" and help my loaded rig ride smooth and level without much sway. We shall see. I'll be watching this thread.
Photo for reference:

How much suspension travel do you think you lost with the hellwig?

autism family travels

For shocks, FALCON's all the way. The best shock available for JK based vehicles right now. Also, look into getting the attenuator for the steering system. Look in Dallasjku's build thread. It's an awesome device that works!

MattJ

Adventurer
While we're on the subject of suspension systems, if you decide to go with AEV and Bilstein shocks, you MUST coat them with Sharkhide before they are installed. That's what all the AEV employees do (that's how I found out about this trick). If you don't, you'll end up like me . . . horribly rusted and ugly shocks within a year of installation. Bilstein shocks are raw steel, so when you park your lifted vehicle next to someone with shiny aluminum Fox or Falcon shocks the difference will be obvious UNLESS you apply a metal protectant.

Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way, so now I have to remove my shocks, recondition them with a wire wheel and wet sanding, then apply Sharkhide and reinstall them. For $100 I got a can of Sharkhide and the special baby diapers they recommend (when I am done I'll have 90% of the Sharkhide and nine diapers leftover). I asked AEV for some new AEV and Bilstein stickers so I could proudly carry their brand even after all the headache and they said they didn't have any they could send. Maybe I can find some stickers on ebay . . ?

y4m6SPL9dQ7Kf18PhPfXmU969rLjj7x1VhTJohISjqT8qeatXbVuMrKsRc7o3L1OEJc-dcWpow4iQtYUIVmX_V6T00Z870G4aRhiycCY63Lw5XcQrzbvIFa48-siX2t_ATK5AinL7NJSpgon2r_EJyUN2fQGMAka7EBP1r-DX6puQ5IKYOcd8aTjKDf4jVG4e557Ys6m-q1GdIHDAHpSp_zvg

y4mjjCyjME8UP-eejFtaZRNHvtkzTESJj8X92t3pnnkdrRS53kKLTDOpsRMkuQf0RQNrRCUDBK0vBA_M5GgcwuBk5lhXQ8sVXWPyVccdZHfDEqArbta4BnwNFzks8np2nw-bO7yHk1QI96IxlRnM3IsWXC0Au7dsLC1QicMZ9lgdEG3EaLkHfX7nD1TUwkhj6gRHY4SQri_L-jeDuw2XZAH2A

y4mxejMAHTFAkZmhIrpop2J4e1uATWBvTXLOsufK594a32BmCD1DLFG8mrVSQrzBiXRwBFUqNz8Tn6SxzhZOLUyBCSDvpHIIbqSK2xjkUKErsph2OrP9uQu4ThKnhpL_zBU4izs1ZObXYja-KRvwwKHpXuHGxLJqArX5taMgsXthHBvWAMcUwV5QRUqru8KATGL6lsecrhVP-1QsU3EjmuKuQ

jadmt

ignore button user
While we're on the subject of suspension systems, if you decide to go with AEV and Bilstein shocks, you MUST coat them with Sharkhide before they are installed. That's what all the AEV employees do (that's how I found out about this trick). If you don't, you'll end up like me . . . horribly rusted and ugly shocks within a year of installation. Bilstein shocks are raw steel, so when you park your lifted vehicle next to someone with shiny aluminum Fox or Falcon shocks the difference will be obvious UNLESS you apply a metal protectant.

Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way, so now I have to remove my shocks, recondition them with a wire wheel and wet sanding, then apply Sharkhide and reinstall them. For $100 I got a can of Sharkhide and the special baby diapers they recommend (when I am done I'll have 90% of the Sharkhide and nine diapers leftover). I asked AEV for some new AEV and Bilstein stickers so I could proudly carry their brand even after all the headache and they said they didn't have any they could send. Maybe I can find some stickers on ebay . . ?

y4m6SPL9dQ7Kf18PhPfXmU969rLjj7x1VhTJohISjqT8qeatXbVuMrKsRc7o3L1OEJc-dcWpow4iQtYUIVmX_V6T00Z870G4aRhiycCY63Lw5XcQrzbvIFa48-siX2t_ATK5AinL7NJSpgon2r_EJyUN2fQGMAka7EBP1r-DX6puQ5IKYOcd8aTjKDf4jVG4e557Ys6m-q1GdIHDAHpSp_zvg

y4mjjCyjME8UP-eejFtaZRNHvtkzTESJj8X92t3pnnkdrRS53kKLTDOpsRMkuQf0RQNrRCUDBK0vBA_M5GgcwuBk5lhXQ8sVXWPyVccdZHfDEqArbta4BnwNFzks8np2nw-bO7yHk1QI96IxlRnM3IsWXC0Au7dsLC1QicMZ9lgdEG3EaLkHfX7nD1TUwkhj6gRHY4SQri_L-jeDuw2XZAH2A

y4mxejMAHTFAkZmhIrpop2J4e1uATWBvTXLOsufK594a32BmCD1DLFG8mrVSQrzBiXRwBFUqNz8Tn6SxzhZOLUyBCSDvpHIIbqSK2xjkUKErsph2OrP9uQu4ThKnhpL_zBU4izs1ZObXYja-KRvwwKHpXuHGxLJqArX5taMgsXthHBvWAMcUwV5QRUqru8KATGL6lsecrhVP-1QsU3EjmuKuQ
Crazy, I have had 2 AEV lifts (2.5 and 3.5) and at least 3 other sets of billsteins 51000's and they never corroded like that. I hit them with a coat of carnuba wax once or twice a year and mine never corroded and I live where it is winter 6 months a year and they magnisum chloride on the roads. AEV is tight with giving stuff away. they do sell the AEV black and white bison decals but not the yellow ones as those come with the lift kits. I doubt you can get the made for AEV bilstien stickers tho as they are uber worried that someone might stick them on an off the self shock, I believe that lol. I live very close to their R&D and have talked to the owner many times. Great stuff but I dont like that they will not allow a vendor to discount their stuff even a penny.

MattJ

Adventurer
Yeah, I spent a lot of money to have my AEV suspension system installed, so I'm pretty frustrated that the installer didn't mention I needed wax, Sharkhide or SOMETHING to keep my Bilsteins from turning into a horror show six months later. But that's what forums like this are for . . .

By the way, the next time you see the AEV owner, please BEG him to manufacture a food-grade spare wheel carrier that is safe for water storage. It is often talked about in these forums and I am confident there would be huge demand for it, especially for those of us that overland here in the U.S. We're never more than 250 miles from gasoline, but having an extra 10 gallons of water externally mounted in a stable position would REALLY come in handy in the woods, desert, sand dunes or mountains. AEV already has the mold ready to go - it's the same one they use for the fuel carrier. The AEV rear bumper water tanks only hold 4.8 gallons, are a pain to use (hand pump) and break easily from impact when off-roading (yep, done it).

y4mgkJEp_zTJ0sgucyuAgLf4dmbBeuIFzq1VpS3mwMeTqia_HE5fDDwBoNJH77ccsSQm846S288K72roGTkc3BZlEL_8eATYVN_wsJNjpBnzWobBjWuuKyH5VvNVq5EmItwol69r0qEebNXG7u11UhaBIFlEaXEiOYJFUVRlkTQz3GDe8hB3wqn6JnfZPOtIvdMtqRiUIA41kBSaOvD_fo3Kg

Last edited:

St8ton

How much suspension travel do you think you lost with the hellwig?
I would say it's negligible at best. The benefit far outweighs the hindrance. I wish I would have known about it 40,000 miles ago.

Sidenote: I'm all loaded up and headed in to the woods for a couple nights with my new setup (Shocks and Swaybar). Going to do a bit of testing before I decide if the OME Heavy Springs are going in to replace the AEV 2.5s.

MattJ

Adventurer
I would say it's negligible at best. The benefit far outweighs the hindrance. I wish I would have known about it 40,000 miles ago.

Do you have both front and back Hellwig sway bars? Or just the rear? Hellwig told me to only purchase the rear one, but I’m hoping it makes a noticeable difference since that’s where all the cargo, roof tent, spare wheel, hi-lift jack, fridge, etc are.

forsakenfuture

Explorer

Sidenote: I'm all loaded up and headed in to the woods for a couple nights with my new setup (Shocks and Swaybar). Going to do a bit of testing before I decide if the OME Heavy Springs are going in to replace the AEV 2.5s.
That's what I figured. Be sure and take some photos while out on your trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles