JKU Rubicon takeoff parts worth buying?

wandererr

Adventurer
what's a Dana 44 coil? :D :D :D

Again, depending on what options you had on your jeep various springs were available. There were sports that had springs that were same as Rubicons out there.... anyways, you have to look at the tag on the coil spring to figure out if the upgrade is really an upgrade IIRC going up a number means 1/4" increase.

For the front IIRC the JK springs were going from 15 to 19 on the last two digits
For the rear IIRC the JK springs were going from 56 to 61 on the last two digits

Recon (or was it the 10A ?) had a different numbering spring and those (68196009AA 68196006AA ) supposedly gave an inch of lift over.... and that's a question now: over the 15/56 combo? or the 19/61 combo? (btw, difference between 15/56 and 19/61 is 1"/1.25")

jadmt

ignore button user
Axels are Dana 44 coils are beefier and longer shocks better. There is a reason that rubicon’s cost more
on jk's coils are the same depending on factory options, does not make a difference if it is a rubicon or sport. I have done sports that have had 19/60 coils. I have installed at least 20 lifts on JK's of all variations.

jadmt

ignore button user
what's a Dana 44 coil? :D :D :D

Again, depending on what options you had on your jeep various springs were available. There were sports that had springs that were same as Rubicons out there.... anyways, you have to look at the tag on the coil spring to figure out if the upgrade is really an upgrade IIRC going up a number means 1/4" increase.

For the front IIRC the JK springs were going from 15 to 19 on the last two digits
For the rear IIRC the JK springs were going from 56 to 61 on the last two digits

Recon (or was it the 10A ?) had a different numbering spring and those (68196009AA 68196006AA ) supposedly gave an inch of lift over.... and that's a question now: over the 15/56 combo? or the 19/61 combo? (btw, difference between 15/56 and 19/61 is 1"/1.25")
yup Recons and 10A 4 doors have the bit longer coils. they give 1/2" I had a 2018 recon 4 door and it was exactly 1/2" taller than my 2014 that had 19/60 coils.

Jupiter58

As said, on a jk shocks and springs are not worth the effort to change unless you need to replace yours anyway. Be careful with the springs and read the tags. You may end up with weaker springs. Pretty much if they came off a max tow jk model you could count on getting the heavier sets but for anything not max tow it almost seems like you get whatever they have available. If you have no sliders and doing light trail, get the sliders if they are very cheap. If you do heavier crawling go aftermarket. As said before the skids are sufficient for light dragging if you get them cheap enough
Full axles and transfer cases on a takeoff aren’t cheap. The axles are just slightly stronger than a regular jk but you get the lockers (electric). The front and rear have a few more splines then the regular jk. The front on the rubicon has the same weak points as the jk, ie, uses the same sleeves and ends, just connected to a slightly bigger pumpkin. Unless you are getting them super cheap you are better off buying an aftermarket real d44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
As said, on a jk shocks and springs are not worth the effort to change unless you need to replace yours anyway. Be careful with the springs and read the tags. You may end up with weaker springs. Pretty much if they came off a max tow jk model you could count on getting the heavier sets but for anything not max tow it almost seems like you get whatever they have available. If you have no sliders and doing light trail, get the sliders if they are very cheap. If you do heavier crawling go aftermarket. As said before the skids are sufficient for light dragging if you get them cheap enough
Full axles and transfer cases on a takeoff aren’t cheap. The axles are just slightly stronger than a regular jk but you get the lockers (electric). The front and rear have a few more splines then the regular jk. The front on the rubicon has the same weak points as the jk, ie, uses the same sleeves and ends, just connected to a slightly bigger pumpkin. Unless you are getting them super cheap you are better off buying an aftermarket real d44.

You are correct except for the Recon edition which has thicker tubes and different heavy duty c’s. When I bought mine I was skeptical so I climbed under a recon and a rubicon and sure enough, the axles are different.

Jupiter58

You are correct except for the Recon edition which has thicker tubes and different heavy duty c’s. When I bought mine I was skeptical so I climbed under a recon and a rubicon and sure enough, the axles are different.

Nice! Must be a j8 axle or similar. That is much better.

wigsajumper

Putting a JKU Rubicon Suspension under my JK X gave me a couple inches of lift. Parts were free so seems a quick and easy upgrade. this was back in 09. Don't remember how much of a lift it was.

wandererr

Adventurer
Couple inches??? Either your stock suspension was shot to hell or you didn't get stock Rubi suspension.... Even considering the 4 door to 2 door springs and hard top to soft top, still couple inches are overly ambitious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior