JKU - RTT for 4?

kylelever

Starting to wonder if this is not possible. Weight wise, it looks like both the Black Rhino or the Maximus would support the weight, but I have yet to see definitive proof. No too picky about the tent to much but I do love the FSR and the iKamper. Just wondering if I should be looking at tailer to haul the RTT on.

What say you JKU experts?

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Teraflex nebo works well too. I have a cvt mckinley. It is very large but still tight for 4 adults. The rack is fine though.

That said i now run mine on a trailer most of the time.
bb8079d266d2b0edcd8647847cf5f8ba.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

billiebob

Starting to wonder if this is not possible. Weight wise, it looks like both the Black Rhino or the Maximus would support the weight, but I have yet to see definitive proof. No too picky about the tent to much but I do love the FSR and the iKamper. Just wondering if I should be looking at tailer to haul the RTT on.

What say you JKU experts?
go to their website
It is rated 300# dynamic load... ie with campers in an RTT
900# static.... ie tools, tires, cargo.

so not rated for an RTT with 4 people, unless everyone is under 100#

kylelever

Teraflex nebo works well too. I have a cvt mckinley. It is very large but still tight for 4 adults. The rack is fine though.

That said i now run mine on a trailer most of the time.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Why did you move over to the trailer? I had started building one, but the idea of everything being in the JK seemed a little easier to manage.

go to their website
It is rated 300# dynamic load... ie with campers in an RTT
900# static.... ie tools, tires, cargo.

so not rated for an RTT with 4 people, unless everyone is under 100#

Static load is for when the vehicle is parked, and dynamic is when the vehicle is moving. So a tent (~200 lbs), 2 adults (~400 lbs) and two children (~100 lbs) is well under the static limit. I have no doubt they will support the weight, my question is around the actual physical size. I just hadn't seen any examples of JKUs with a 4 person tent on top.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
We occasionally go places where we don't want to take the tent. i.e. rockcrawling, off road parks, elk hunting, etc...., yet we still camp. It is just easy to leave it set up in those cases. If we go somewhere where we are moving a lot it goes on top of the jeep.

86scotty

Cynic
Put the kids in a cheap tent outside. They'll be happier and so will you. They may require some therapy someday but it's doubtful.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
fsr builds a big tent that will fit on a jku. I'm going to look at them in person at the trailpass overland event in hood river next week. It's called the high country hc80. As for a rack, the frontrunner rack will support the weight of a family and tent, and I believe the rhino rack will as well. Get ready to spend some $$ though!

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
IKamper it is a hardshell and fits a stupid amount of folks, King size mattress.
Buddy on the right in the 130 is rocking one.
rNX4K9H.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Thought I'd drop another post that I got a good look at the FSR tent. It looks like pretty good quality for a tent, but at the end of the day that's a $2500 tent. Add a rack to that purchase and I'd be right at four grand to be able to sleep four people. I think I'm going to buy a folding mattress on Amazon for downstairs and I ordered an Ursa Minor J30 for sleeping upstairs. It was more money but I think it's a more permanent solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles