JKU must do’s upgrades

mindfield

Opening this up to any and all advice on my first JKU. been enjoying a little off-roading and camping in the past two weeks owning it.
It has bilstein shocks with a 3.5” lift. KO2 all terrain tires. 32-33”? All that came with my purchase. I’m not needing anything crazy engine wise but performance enhancing stuff and to make off-roading a bit more fun. I’m not rock crawling or anything. I’m sure this is vague but I’m open to seeing what y’all think.

jadmt

ignore button user
what year and model? does it have 3.21 gears or 3.73 or 4.10's is it auto or manual? One of the best upgrades I have found is replacing the stock head lights if it did not come with LED's. I have had 4 JK's and head lights (with the exception of the factory equipped led's) are really poor. a 3.5" lift with 32" tires probably looks a little funny. What lift does it have? Is it a complete lift? lots of questions need to be answered before you can get much help.

jsek29

Observer
I can second getting LED headlights. That made a world of difference. Once you sort out what gearing you have, figure out if you need to re-gear. That will massively change off-road performance. Also, maybe look at a big brake kit, it doesn’t take much gear to see noticeable changes in stopping power on the stock brakes.

Otherwise, go out and get it dirty and even stuck! That will show you what you need.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
You own one of, if not the most, capable offroad vehicles to roll out of the factory. I agree with headlights. The only "required" modification in my opinion is recovery gear. A winch if you often travel alone, or at least a tow and or snatch strap. Do you have a Rubicon? If not then I would look at protection for your rocker panels. Rubi's come with rock sliders. Especially if you have a four-door you have a lot of rocker panel exposed.

There are many other mods that you can do, to make it more capable or comfortable or convenient, but it all depends on your specific needs. Camp a lot? A fridge is a great addition.

It is really up to you. I would say take your time, drive it for a while and see what you think it needs. And enjoy the ride!

mindfield

hey y’all! It is is 6 speed transmission and my head lights are super bright led. It’s 2012 jku unlimited not a rubicon. How do I find out about gear ratio? And what is best gear ratio for it?

jadmt

ignore button user
click on the link and enter your vin number. If you have 3.21's and want bigger tires you are going to want to regear based on tire size.

jadmt

ignore button user
Depends on what lift kit you have you might want to upgrade that. Without knowing not a lot more to say.

mindfield

They’re bilsteins I’m trying to figure out how big the lift is. My gear ratio is saying 3.73 and tire size is 33”

mindfield

Attachments

• 25F7D15A-C1C6-421D-8FBA-9754C6BE205D.jpeg
    25F7D15A-C1C6-421D-8FBA-9754C6BE205D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 5601D96B-0672-42DC-B191-1989CE7D0080.jpeg
    5601D96B-0672-42DC-B191-1989CE7D0080.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
We hate the Jeep LED's over here. OEM or aftermarket. Way too blinding. Not going to make many friends at night running those.

Skip the BFG's, get a nice MT like a Cooper stt pro. If you have to get gears, get some chromoly front axles and a Yukon Griz up front. Don't forget armored diff covers, of jeeps don't already come with them.

jadmt

ignore button user
We hate the Jeep LED's over here. OEM or aftermarket. Way too blinding. Not going to make many friends at night running those.

Skip the BFG's, get a nice MT like a Cooper stt pro.
I have never been flashed with my OEM leds not a single time in 2.5 years and I drive at night all the time.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
We don't flash, we swerve into the oncoming lane. Lol.

Jeep and truck LED's are an epidemic over here. Mommy SUV's with too much weight in the back as well.

jadmt

ignore button user
jeep oem led's are DOT and meet all regulations. I have seen aftermarket that burn your retinas. My last 3 jeeps before this one I installed Trucklite (Rigid) led and they too are DOT and never had an issue getting flashed or swerved at. I guess it depends on if they are aimed properly. I will say I have had Trucklight and my buddies have jsspeakers and I really like the OEM best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles