JKU Lift/Wheel/Tire combo Sanity Check

donaldj

Observer
Hello all, I'd like a sanity check on the following combination. Can I run this without issue?

Vehicle: Jeep JKU 2015 3:73 gear Automatic trans
Proposed Lift: AEV 2.5" with Geometry Correction Brackets
Proposed Wheels: Ultra Type 164 17x9"
Proposed Tires: BFG KO2 315/70R17

Purpose: Light offroading and overlanding, while maintaining highway driveability.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Don

Last edited:

daveh

Adventurer
Not familiar with those wheels, but the AEV 2.5 with 35s or 315/70s is pretty common. You shouldn't have any issues as long as you have the optional 3:73 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
You didn't state whether you have an automatic or manual transmission, but in either case you'd be better off with a minimum of 4.10 gears for those 35's. You might want to look into the 34x10.5R17 BFG A/T KO2s.

Fishrising

Observer
My understanding with the 34" KO2s is that in real life they are barely larger than 33" measured. So, if going that route might as well look at 285/75/17 (Cooper AT3), 285/70/17 (Duratracs, Grabber AT2, Toyo ATII) and 255/80/17 (Cooper ST MAXX). I've got a 2011 JKU with 3.73 auto 3.8, and am looking for new rubber as well. Just can't decide, but I do know I don't want to re-gear. And I do have a traildash2, so I can tune a bit. And I don't want to lift beyond my 1.75" leveling kit. Anyway, subscribing to this to see where it goes...my head is spinning from the tire threads on some of the JK forums.

Last edited:

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I ran 315 Duratracs with a 2.5 lift and 3.21's on my '12 auto for three years with no issues. You are not going to win any drag races, but it is certainly liveable. You'll want to trim your fenders though. I strongly advise you to drive it around for a while with the 3.73 gearing and 35s before you dump money on a re-gear, you won't break anything doing so. You may also find that you would like to go larger on your tires (different desired gear ratio) and want lockers (do them at same time as re-gear). Heck, some guys even want to drop back down a size. Log some miles between each upgrade and let your own experience inform your decisions as everyone has different terrain, driving styles, and expectations.

I ultimately upgraded to a 4" lift, 37" KO2s, and 4.56 gears with front and rear air lockers.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
My 315 tires would occasionally rub lightly on the fenders when i had a 2.5" lift. Usually making a turn while flexing. Now have trimmed fenders on 35's and no more issues.

piratenation90

Adventurer
I agree on the not needing to regear, the 5-speed with 3.73 gears will be fine unless you live in the mountains and climb steep incline on the highway all the time. I would highly suggest getting the AEV Procal to adjust your speedometer plus it takes care of a few other items.

donaldj

Observer
You people just plain rock.

Yes, I am getting the ProCal.
I live in the gentle rolling meadows of Michigan.
I will eventually be hauling an approx 2000 pound pop-up camper.
I'm fairly sold on the BFG KO2 tires. They are a great balance of onroad and offroad.

I'm not opposed to trimming fenders but would prefer not to. Would switching to a 285/70R17 help alleviate fender rub?

Can anyone offer commentary on the wheels selected. Any issues there?

Thanks,
Don

daveh

Adventurer
I've run km2s in both 285/75-17 and 35x12.5-17 on my current jk. No issues with rubbing even on some serious trails with either tire. BFGs run small so you should be fine. As for wheels, depending on the offset of the wheel that could cause tire rub when flexing. I run AEV wheels so I'd say check your wheel specs vs AEV wheels and see if the offset is close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(none)

Adventurer
I'm going to be the dissenting opinion...

35s with 3.73s are indeed livable. People do it every day. Is it ideal by any means? nope. I wasn't a fan with of 35s on a 2dr manual with 4.10s and it's flat down here. Add that to your plans of towing, and your expected combo is looking worse. If you must stay with 3.73s, i'd stick with 33s. Or go with the 35s and start saving to regear. Just my opinion of course.

Also, you get by trimming your fenders with extended bumpstops. Limits your up travel of course, but allows you to stuff the fenders without the rubbing.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
I run 315s on the wife's Jeep with 3.73. It does well.
Not sure what bump stops are on the AEV lift, I put on a Teraflex 2.5" with rancho CA relo brackets. Tires stuff perfectly with no rubbing. Total backspace is 4.5"

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I'm going to say that if you go with that combo and tow a trailer, re-gear to at least 4.56. I have a 2013, JKUS, 2.5" lift, 3.73's, equipped for overlanding but with 33" tires.and have towed a SoCal Teardrop on a couple of occasions. It is the towing portion that makes me recommend the re-gear. Hills and altitude (we won't even get into high altitude and heat) will dog the hell out of those 3.73's while towing with 35" tires. Either go a little smaller on the tire (33") or re-gear.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I'll throw my opinion in here, I run 35x12 KM2s on stock Rubi rums with the AEV 2.5" dual sport xt lift. Automatic, 3.73 gears here, JKU Rubicon, along with the ProCal. I live in a fairly hilly part of NJ/PA and go into the mountains fairly often.

"Livable" is hard to measure and far from objective. Here's how I see it - I didn't buy the Jeep to be a go-quick car, but I did buy it to offroad and to daily drive. I have adjusted well from the stock 32s to the 35s and would say that I enjoy driving it with the large tire. It is slower, but I can still throw the hammer down and pick up speed at a decent rate - compared to stock, at least. It can be a dog going up the long, steep hills, no doubt about it. But on the average hill here, it does perfectly fine.

I occasionally tow an M416, which is loaded with anything from gear to firewood to landscaping materials. I never notice it back there. I don't have a ton of experience towing so I am cautious and drive slower anyway, which may contribute to it not being a big burden (i.e. if I was driving quickly and aggressively).

Your best bet is to go for it and see how it feels for you. Your tolerance for "livable" may be way off of mine or any other poster. You can always upgrade down the road to make it more to your liking. I've heard great things about 4.56s for this setup and will possibly do that someday, if I have the spare cash (often don't lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke