JKU / JLU as a family travel vehicle

jadmt

ignore button user
I have never seen 0% on a wrangler and doubt the Gladiator will see that any time soon either.

Bobzdar

Observer
I am certain for 95% of what we do the Gladiator is perfect, especially the max tow package. My main hold up is doing truck stuff. Household stuff and firewood mainly. My Chevy does it well, but it’s also old and having a backup would be nice. I have looked at some of 3k GVWR utility trailers and one of those might work since I only haul a half cord of wood at a time with the Chevy anyways.

I was very surprised how good the 3.6/8 speed combo drove. The JLU I rented had the 2.0T and it came on hard and fast. The 3.6 was definitely well matched to the transmission.

I have a utility trailer as well, I've used it once since I got the gladiator and that was a situation even an 8' bed truck wouldn't have handled - we went nuts when camping in NY for a week and brought 4 bikes and a bbq smoker along with all of the equipment in the above pic.

Fwiw, I have my gladiator back and really missed it. For the final week I did get a 2.0T JLU loaner, which I really liked. 26mpg and more low end than the v6. For reference, my JLUR got around 20-20.5mpg and my JTR gets ~19.5mpg. I'd expect a sport s (which is what the JLU was) with the v6 to get 22-23mpg. The 2.0T wouldn't work in the gladiator though as the main limitation when towing is cooling, which with the intercooler would be further reduced. If I were buying a JLU now I'd probably go that route, though. Only issue is it sounded like a mid 90's chevy cavalier, just with ~2.5x the power.

tdferrero

Jeep people (jeeple's?),

Does anyone know if FCA runs a 0% financing offer on Jeeps? The gave me 0% for 72 last year (at this time) on the '19 Rebel I bought and they are running the same promo on that side right now, but not sure if they do that for the Jeep line. Hope some smart people with historical knowledge will know.

....ummm....asking for a friend! :censored:

To answer you, yes and no. Jeep does offer 0%, not on the Wranglers or Gladiators, but on the Renegades, Cherokees, etc. Sorry to disappoint. :/

Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
Molle Platform Solutions makes a fix for the rear doors not opening up far enough. I love my JKU, the JLU has more creature comforts.
I have them with two kids in car seats and they are a breeze. Best "dad mod" I ever did.

My kids are 6 and 4 and we take it everywhere. Fridge in the back driver side and everything else goes on the right. If we're going for a long trip and something doesn't fit inside it goes on the rack in a bin and strapped down. My wife has a 4runner that we travel in once and awhile as well, however the Jeep wins out due to the capability and fun.

billiebob

Jeep people (jeeple's?),

Does anyone know if FCA runs a 0% financing offer on Jeeps? The gave me 0% for 72 last year (at this time) on the '19 Rebel I bought and they are running the same promo on that side right now, but not sure if they do that for the Jeep line. Hope some smart people with historical knowledge will know.

....ummm....asking for a friend! :censored:
No one will give you more up to date financing advice than your Chrysler Jeep dealer.
A dealership might even give you 0% or be inventive just to close the sale.

Thinman

True true. I am actually glad to hear they don't offer the 0% as a standard incentive. Last year when we picked up the Rebel, if I remember correctly, they would not stack anything with the 0% incentive anyway. This way they won't be able to either/or me on the incentive and I think I can't actually get them down to at least 1.9 or .9 on my rating. Maybe better, who knows.

Anyway, think I finally got my wife to move off of Firecracker Red, so win there. I like it, but I think it would get old after a year. Got her eyeing the Sting-Grey and warming up to it.

? :devilish: ? :devilish: ? :devilish: ? :devilish: ? :devilish:

billiebob

I am getting ready to repainted my TJR.... It is black... I hate black. I am tossing up a retro powder blue or Firetruck RED. I have had a dozen red vehicles, definitely my favourite colour. Powder blue is only in there because you never see it. Red is probably a better 65th birthday present.

You will never get tired of RED. The world needs more colour.

billiebob

So, for those with kids, is a JLU a practical for long trips? Or do you just make it work because it’s a great 4wd?
Absolutely one of the best with 2 kids. Any more and I would want a van. I prefer small over supersize. The JLU/JKU is perfect.

jonathon

Ended up with a Ram. It was really tough because I loved the Jeep but really use the long bed enough to justify it. Funny thing is my wife has been telling me how much she’d like a Jeep so maybe that is still in the cards in a couple years.

wild1

Adventurer
Ended up with a Ram. It was really tough because I loved the Jeep but really use the long bed enough to justify it. Funny thing is my wife has been telling me how much she’d like a Jeep so maybe that is still in the cards in a couple years.
Just back from a three month road trip with the Ram and the Jeep, it was perfect to have both. We did several long multiday drives with each and I think this is the best way to do long trips with the JlUR.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online