JKU in floor OBA and cargo floor project

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Just started on a project I've been wanting to do for a long time. Built in OBA contained in a drop in box that will be replacing the factory cubby hole.

At the same time I am reconfiguring my rear storage.

For years I have been running this setup for storage in addition to a half size lift top box that mounts next to the fridge slide. This has been great but with the fridge mounted I am unable to use my sub roof storage box due to the height. My plan will be to just have my fridge slide and half size box which will leave me plenty of room to open my roof mounted box.

image.jpg

Box removed and blank slate. Factory cubby will be cut out and will be replaced by an aluminum drop in box made from 5052 .125 aluminum.

image.jpg

Drop in box will contain a Viair constant duty system.

Cargo floor plate made from 3/16 5052 aluminum, mounts to the rear seat brackets and standoffs in the rear, will have an access door for the OBA system and vent for Cooling compressor cooling fan. Still have to make the bend for the rear and cut out access door.

image.jpg

That's all I have for now :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 100

HAFICON

Adventurer
I want to do this to just no time to cut a big hole in my floor. Do I mounted mind in the cubby.

I will be watching to see how yours comes out.

Expedition Essentials

Little more progress. Floor plate formed mounted and trimmed. Temporarily mounted my fridge slide and box for an event this weekend. Access door gets cut out next then factory cubby will be surgically removed.

3928bf1d586923263915ccbc2f643d18.jpg
66091737545ada67c8b3dd82ebe988d3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Expedition Essentials

I want to do this to just no time to cut a big hole in my floor. Do I mounted mind in the cubby.

I will be watching to see how yours comes out.
Where is your tank mounted? Any issues with thermal cutout on the compressor?

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Ooo, that looks good! Just noticed you are only a couple hours from me...wanna make an aluminum plate flat floor for my 2-door? :smiley_drive:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Does the Aluminum panel sit flush on the Jeep floor? In your second picture I see two brackets dead center that I believe are used for the access panel hinge. Did you cut these out. Or are you using some type of spacer? I believe you removed the stock access panel but I might be wrong. Also at your convenience could you take a couple of photographs of the mounting locations. I like the simplicity of this panel and may change my setup in the near future. What does the aluminum panel weight? Looks good. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Expedition Essentials

Does the Aluminum panel sit flush on the Jeep floor? In your second picture I see two brackets dead center that I believe are used for the access panel hinge. Did you cut these out. Or are you using some type of spacer? I believe you removed the stock access panel but I might be wrong. Also at your convenience could you take a couple of photographs of the mounting locations. I like the simplicity of this panel and may change my setup in the near future. What does the aluminum panel weight? Looks good. Thanks for the info and pictures.

It sits roughly 3/16's above the factory floor. Those two brackets are the factory brackets for the lid for the original cubby. I used those as a standoff for the panel and additional mounting location by enlarging an existing hole and installing nut serts. Additionally at the rear I installed four nutsert's, two on each side for another mounting point. The plate weighs about 25lbs. When I take it back apart I will take those pics.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Expedition Essentials

Ooo, that looks good! Just noticed you are only a couple hours from me...wanna make an aluminum plate flat floor for my 2-door? :smiley_drive:

Buddy of mine wants the same thing, I can always be convinced :)

HAFICON

Adventurer
Where is your tank mounted? Any issues with thermal cutout on the compressor?

I do not think there will be any issues, I have not run it here as of yet but I will be doing a muffle relocation on day. The two tanks were mounted in my cargo area, but I am going to build a cargo area basket and mount them to the under side of the basket.

Expedition Essentials

No going back now.
e475f138b08b1bed5dcc11a08d3f4852.jpg

Pics of mounting locations for cargo floor.

a9213056355453dd431bdab7dca4e6a2.jpg
193adb8d987cd9b39115398a70dbc3d0.jpg
f0eb6231e58462e2436678c4ae1ffe06.jpg
f8be7dbd89918942f2cbb0267da99f77.jpg

The extra holes are awaiting higher grip length nut serts for my slide and side box mounting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94