JKU Hard top - Additional gutter in rear?

uberhahn

Observer
Has anyone added / used add-on gutters on the rear of their hard-top? I want to use a full-lenght rack, and would like to support the back half, but the JKU gutters are stupidly only over the doors. I had a Gobi, but like the flexibility of the gutters.

Yakima makes add-on gutters. These could be attached to the top by drilling by the rear window (from the side). The clamp load should be pretty significant.

Something like this:

kayadog

Adventurer
I haven’t done it yet but I plan too. I have a Yakima gutter rack and moving one of the crossbars to the rear would make loading kayaks much easier. Here is a write-up I found using the Thule version:

ratled

Adventurer
E trailer sells several roof rack tracks that install to the top of the Jeep that would be a better choice. Gutter mount racks have there place but like most things Jeep we tend to over task them. For about the same price point these can do more for the same effort.

BradS

If you are planning on drilling your hardtop for the sake of the flexibility of gutter mounts, you may as well go whole hog and get a proper rack. I went with the Rhino Rack with three load bars and couldn't be happier. Very adaptable to whatever you may need to haul and no worries of breakage. I just put the rooftop tent up there last weekend. Been running for the last few weeks with the awning and cargo basket before that. Otherwise take everything off.
I've heard a few stories of either gutters bending/breaking or the tower's metal clasps bending in higher winds resulting in your load flying off.513814513816513817

uberhahn

Observer
For sure the Rhino Rack is a great system. I've seen them first hand. The cost is a turn-off. And, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep my 2015 JKUHR. Worthy consideration though. Pics are great.

jeepers29

For sure the Rhino Rack is a great system. I've seen them first hand. The cost is a turn-off. And, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep my 2015 JKUHR. Worthy consideration though. Pics are great.
Smittybuilt makes a gutter mount rack that also attaches to the hinges for the rear glass. I went with a Teraflex nabob rack, but that is more money.

cykelnut

Wow...I have been looking for Rack system for some time now for my 2016 Rock....I have used many rack systems old and new on all my vehicles..
Teraflex i like the design but this version of Rhino Rack "I dig" way more. Could share Rhino model # parts etc...would be great save me some time ;-)

uberhahn

Observer
I saw the Smittybuilt rack (Defender). As you said, the rear mounts to the rear glass hinge bolts. I'll have to take a look at my hinges. I don't know if there is access to the "bolt" that holds the hinges on the inside, or if they're molded over. May be a good way to go as long as there is sufficient clamp load. $90 for the mount kit (2 rear glass mounts, and 2 gutter mounts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles