JKU 2nd Battery-Solar-Refrigerator-Wiring

blackhawkip

Observer
I've done so much reading trying to determine the best way to set up my Rubicon JKU I questioned whether or not I'd ever get it done. Well I am about 95% complete and am very happy with the results. I took a different approach with my 2nd battery install. I'd looked at the Genesis system but wanted easier access to it from the rear of the JKU. I wasn't sure if the Springtail Solutions racks would work but they were the perfect answer.
You can look at the wiring diagram to see everything that is wired into the Jeep. I use my Jeep to hunt and camp with and wanted the ability to go off-grid indefinitely and have power, lights, hot water, and a refrigerator. I have all recover equipment as well to include the dual ARB air compressor (mounted under passenger seat) and Warn Platinum 10S. I also installed the remote wireless controller so the winch is completely hidden in the AEV front tubeless bumper.
I will take additional pictures as needed but wanted to post the results. If you see something that doesn't look right, let me know. I am not an electrical engineer but used the amperage draw of each item to determine the gauge wire and fuse to use in the install. Most of the electrical items are marine grade with the exception of the 1/0 awg welding wire. Couldn't justify the cost at 3X for marine when the entire run is inside the Jeep.

Let me know what questions you have about it.

Attachments

• Jeep Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Jeep Wiring Diagram.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 424
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461c.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461c.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 355
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461d.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461d.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 340
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_461a.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 306
Thanks for putting together this well thought out system and write up. Looks awesome. Can you give some more details on how the components are attached to the rack? Is it the JK Unlimited drivers side rack from Springtail? I'm setting up a very similar system now and hadn't even thought of housing the 2nd battery in that location. Any concerns or issues mounting it the Odyssey or a solar charge controller inside the vehicle? Seems like if it is safe to do so it would reduce the battery temp and give you a clean place with relatively stable temperatures to house the charge controller as well. Anyone else done this?

FlightMedicJP

I've done so much reading trying to determine the best way to set up my Rubicon JKU I questioned whether or not I'd ever get it done. Well I am about 95% complete and am very happy with the results. I took a different approach with my 2nd battery install. I'd looked at the Genesis system but wanted easier access to it from the rear of the JKU. I wasn't sure if the Springtail Solutions racks would work but they were the perfect answer.
You can look at the wiring diagram to see everything that is wired into the Jeep. I use my Jeep to hunt and camp with and wanted the ability to go off-grid indefinitely and have power, lights, hot water, and a refrigerator. I have all recover equipment as well to include the dual ARB air compressor (mounted under passenger seat) and Warn Platinum 10S. I also installed the remote wireless controller so the winch is completely hidden in the AEV front tubeless bumper.
I will take additional pictures as needed but wanted to post the results. If you see something that doesn't look right, let me know. I am not an electrical engineer but used the amperage draw of each item to determine the gauge wire and fuse to use in the install. Most of the electrical items are marine grade with the exception of the 1/0 awg welding wire. Couldn't justify the cost at 3X for marine when the entire run is inside the Jeep.

Let me know what questions you have about it.

Who makes the black box you have mounted? Awesome setup. Gave me some ideas.

blackhawkip

Observer
Sorry for the late reply. Yes the racks are Springtail Solutions racks. I've had zero issues and it has worked flawlessly. Most of the wiring and switches were Blue Sea, marine grade. The black box on that holds the Blue Sea switch as well as the National Luna meter are just electrical junction boxes you can buy at Radio Shack. I used 3M VHB tape to mount to the window.
Hope this helps.....

inzeos

Very nicely done. Have you considered or do you have (not pictured) covers for the buss bar components? Seems like it would be a bit to easy to arc the positive and negative bus bars.

blackhawkip

Observer
Very nicely done. Have you considered or do you have (not pictured) covers for the buss bar components? Seems like it would be a bit to easy to arc the positive and negative bus bars.

Thanks, all the buss bars have covers. Still works great and have had no issues with charging or solar panel keeping up with the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles