JK Wrangler 3.8l vs 3.6l Pentastar

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The never ending story-

Really? I figure putting 4000 miles which is 8000kms which is more than some people drive their rigs in a year is warranted as ample seat time. Just because I don't own one, does not mean I cannot comment on driving one? Actually I am probably more qualified than YOU as I drive both back to back regularly. Again, mine has larger tires and lift so that makes it more "sluggish" and I don't see a big difference. If someone's JK was dying and they needed to toss a crap load of money at it, yes. its' worth upgrading, but if the jk is working great I do not see the reason to have another payment when you can use that money for other things.

I'm in total agreement again !

A JEEPER, gets a jeep and modifies it to his satisfaction and expectations--

People that aren't able to/don't want to/don't have time/money/tools--buy a new jeep--keep up with the joneses-

Their tech/quality/mechanical attraction is there, even admirable, but

To buy a jeep/own a jeep/use a jeep, is a social climber---or not-

There is one BIG difference between a NEW jeep and 99% of the older jeeps--your social level/status and Daily Driver requirements-otherwise, be happy with whatyougot !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

:sombrero: The never ending story-

I'm in total agreement again !

A JEEPER, gets a jeep and modifies it to his satisfaction and expectations--

People that aren't able to/don't want to/don't have time/money/tools--buy a new jeep--keep up with the joneses-

Their tech/quality/mechanical attraction is there, even admirable, but

To buy a jeep/own a jeep/use a jeep, is a social climber---or not-

There is one BIG difference between a NEW jeep and 99% of the older jeeps--your social level/status and Daily Driver requirements-otherwise, be happy with whatyougot !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

When I bought my 2012 JK new, I also drove leftover dealer new 2010 and 2011 JK's around the same time. I felt there was a substantial difference between the older 3.8 and the new 3.6 Pentastar in overall power, smoothness, and driveability. Enough of a difference that to me it was worth spending the extra couple thousand for the 2012 since I was making the purchase of a brand new 4x4 for the first time ever in my life. I looked at it like stepping up with an "optional" engine when I made the purchase. For the first time, I didnt have to "undo" all the booty fab, poorly selected modifications, and lack of maintenance on a used vehicle.

That said, I wouldn't "trade up" out of a perfectly good 3.8L JK that I had gotten to know, modified to my liking, take the inevitable huge financial hit, just to get the newer engine, and then have to start over modifying and building trust in the vehicle. To me, a Jeep is a long term purchase, and Jimbo said it just right. My recommendation would be to keep what you've got! Heck, I cant wait until they come out with a new version of the Wrangler, just so my JK is no longer one of those "new" Jeeps.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
When I bought my 2012 JK new, I also drove leftover dealer new 2010 and 2011 JK's around the same time. I felt there was a substantial difference between the older 3.8 and the new 3.6 Pentastar in overall power, smoothness, and driveability. Enough of a difference that to me it was worth spending the extra couple thousand for the 2012 since I was making the purchase of a brand new 4x4 for the first time ever in my life. I looked at it like stepping up with an "optional" engine when I made the purchase. For the first time, I didnt have to "undo" all the booty fab, poorly selected modifications, and lack of maintenance on a used vehicle.

That said, I wouldn't "trade up" out of a perfectly good 3.8L JK that I had gotten to know, modified to my liking, take the inevitable huge financial hit, just to get the newer engine, and then have to start over modifying and building trust in the vehicle. To me, a Jeep is a long term purchase, and Jimbo said it just right. My recommendation would be to keep what you've got! Heck, I cant wait until they come out with a new version of the Wrangler, just so my JK is no longer one of those "new" Jeeps.

You hit the nail on the head, if you were buying new, and never had one, get the newest one you can afford. However, if you have one, why waste money on the upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94