JK(U) and JL(U) owners with an RTT I have a question

Outdoorsben

Observer
If your tent/rack allow clearance do you ever remove the panels with the tent on or do you always keep the Jeep buttoned up? Just curious as a lot of the RTT owners I see don’t seem to take the panels off. Wanted to get feedback from the group here.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The Gobi rack allows removal if you don’t have the “sunroof” panel. Very loud with the rack on and roof off, so I only did it once. My panels leak so bad that I don’t like disturbing them anyway.

kdeleon

Observer
It should be doable as long as your tent gives room to move the panel out of the way. Though i probably did it once or twice so i cant recall the experience, or at least dont remember being bothered by it. The gobi rack with a soft top is a diiferent story!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Mine sits far enough back that it does not interfere with the freedom panel removal/replacement.

ChasingOurTrunks

Another JKU with Gobi rack here (we no longer own it though). We took the panels out regularly but just for around town trips.

We used to take them out even for highway trips — I used foam ear plugs just like I use when motorcycling because of the noise but I’m used to that so I didn’t mind (they block wind noise but still give some situational awareness; they don’t block all sounds). But then we hit a swarm of some kind of large bug — hundreds of them hit the leading edge of the roof tent and bounced right in on our heads through the panels.

We kept the panels in on the highway after that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior