JK tire carriers- Tera-flex vs AEV?

wADVr

Adventurer
So the time has come where I want something different. I currently have a Poison Spider bumper w/ tire carrier. I originally really liked this setup as it was completely separate from the body and uses a door type latch so it isn't too difficult to release. I like the all bumper mounting for strength but am not seeing any failures of the body mounted versions which has me thinking I underestimated them. I am looking for a change for two basic reasons; ease of opening with the rear door, rattle free operation, oh and being able to mount my hi-lift vertically on the hinged side. My current bumper rattles, or is adjusted too tight so that is difficult to open- despite many attempts at adjusting it is one or the other. The PSC hi-lift mount is horizontal and is weak IMO.

I have been looking at two options for a while now, the AEV carrier only and the Teraflex HD carrier. Both seem to be popular options. Both will hold a 37" tire and can mount a hi-lift vertically.
The AEV carrier has a couple options such as the fuel caddy and I have seen more than one with a shovel poking out the side. This comes with a frame mount which seems stronger but makes adapting to a non AEV or Mopar bumper a little more difficult- I plan on either building one or using a low profile PSC or similar bumper- not a deal breaker though as I can make it work.
The Teraflex carrier also allows a 37" tire and vertical hi-lift mount and I'm sure I could fab up other mounts for rotopacks etc, but is totally body mounted, seems less strong but haven't seen any issues either and it makes fitting a rear bumper easier for me.

Any feedback from those that have tried both? Have one or the other and happy with it? Any rattling after some use? any stress on the rear door after some time? Anyone caught their spare on a ledge and has it survived or_not..

xkid

Adventurer
I have the AEV rear tire carrier. Not as sexy as some but has worked perfect since day one. Almost 2 years now. I saw someone have a larger than a 37 on there no problem also.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The morryde/jscherb solution is awesome and less expensive as well. I have the stock carrier with his hinge. Its SOLID. I will only ever put on a 33" tire so My carrier is fine. I am going to add the tailgate brace to the equation however this spring. I am keeping my stock carrier so I can add the titan tanks gas tank. similar to AEVs tank but works with the stock carrier.

lysol

Explorer
I like the AEV carrier. Not in your face with metal on the rear end. Just one thing to consider though is that the AEV doesn't center the tire in the rear of the vehicle. It's slightly offset to the passenger side. While this doesn't bother me one bit, it seems to bother some.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think if you're only running the spare and maybe a hi-lift, the TerraFlex solution works.

If you want to run spare + hi-lift + shovel + maxtraxx + 10 gal fuel caddy, I think the AEV is the clear choice, because it's designed from the ground up to handle all of that weight.
My AEV has been flawless, I'm extremely happy with the choice.

-Dan

WininUtah

Adventurer
I have the Teraflex with the optional Hi Lift mount. So far it's been very good, 15K miles. It has the ability to carry Rotopax on the carrier or on the Hi Lift. I liked the idea for the antenna mount, too.

slvyj

Observer
I have the AEV and no issues. I looked at the Teraflex but the selling point for me was the AEV fuel caddy and extra five gallons of water. I just saw on Northridge4x4 site the TITAN Fuel Tanks TRAIL TREKKER, similar to the AEV fuel caddy, holds 12 gallons but more expensive. If this was around when I was shopping I might have gone with the Teraflex.

andoor

Observer
I have the Teraflex and it has been working great. I don't have the accessory mount yet but will be purchasing it soon. I was also between the AEV and the Tereflex when looking at tire carriers. I ultimately chose the Tereflex as it allows me to run any rear bumper I would want without modification. The AEV limits your options based on the tire not being centered, and also where the pivot bushing mounts to the frame seems to stick out pretty far. IMO it looks like crap when the frame brackets are not fully covered by a stubby bumper.

Matt

Adventurer
I have a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock edition. The rear bumper has a hole in it from the factory to fit the AEV carrier. The factory bumper has a cut out for the spare, and with the AEV carrier moving the tire to the passenger side it would seriously mess with my OCD!! I decided to install the Teraflex carrier to keep the spare centered on the factory bumper cutout. The teraflex carrier is stout and I'm happy with it for the most part. My only complaint is that it doesn't allow the tailgate to open as far as it did with the stock tailgate hinges installed. I have the AT combo slide, stove / fridge mount, on the driver side and a tailgate table. There isn't much room between the open tailgate table and the slide when its out now. I'd like the ability to carry extra gas, but a 2-3 gallon Rotopax wont get you very far.

Replacing the Teraflex carrier with the AEV carrier is on my list now. If I'm going to carry extra fuel, I might as well cary enough to actually get me somewhere! And putting the factory tailgate hinges back on will give me some extra space between my tailgate table and stove/fridge.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
I have the Teraflex with 130+ pound 37 tire, about 40k trouble free miles. It's a great piece and I don't regret it.
But there are a few things I don't like:
1) Hi jack and CB mount don't play well together, CB reception suffers.
2) No jerry can mount options.
3) I don't like how the rotopax mount on the jack, and I don't like that you can only mount a 2 gallon w/o the jack.

wADVr

Adventurer
I have the AEV and no issues. I looked at the Teraflex but the selling point for me was the AEV fuel caddy and extra five gallons of water. I just saw on Northridge4x4 site the TITAN Fuel Tanks TRAIL TREKKER, similar to the AEV fuel caddy, holds 12 gallons but more expensive. If this was around when I was shopping I might have gone with the Teraflex.

Interesting find! Never knew there was a fuel caddy alternative, will be looking into this. Curious how tight it fits with the Teraflex.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I have the AEV with a 35" and stock rear bumper for now. Bumper fitment isn't an issue for me, as I want the AEV, and I'll likely wait for a MOAB/COD rear used deal and pick that up. I like the stealth looks of the AEV stuff, as I don't want my Jeep to look like some crazy rock crawler. The fact that it can carry extra fuel tucked behind the spare, a hi-lift, a pull pal, and grey water tanks are all considerations for me. I also like the mast, which will let me easily mount a decent reverse/camp light.

It's only been on 6 months, but so far no issues. It is stiff in its rotation, which my girlfriend dislikes.

wADVr

Adventurer
Good info, never knew the AEV offset the tire but in the picture posted Blue Baby Sound I can see a 37" tire is tight to the door handle.

Good point with the CB antenna, I have a flexible SS antenna that would be constantly whacking the hi-lift, will have to consider that.

No mention of rattling yet- could it be true?

Septu

Explorer
The morryde/jscherb solution is awesome and less expensive as well. I have the stock carrier with his hinge. Its SOLID. I will only ever put on a 33" tire so My carrier is fine. I am going to add the tailgate brace to the equation however this spring. I am keeping my stock carrier so I can add the titan tanks gas tank. similar to AEVs tank but works with the stock carrier.

THANK YOU! I was never aware of these guys. I've been rocking morryde's hinges and have wanted an AUX tank, but wasn't quite sold on going with the AEV setup due to the cost. But this... this is pretty close to what I wanted. I always assumed I'd either have to figure something out or go with something like Genright (which installed would likely run 3-4k). That or just suck it up and go with AEV despite not really wanting to. I guess then it's just a matter of whether you want another 100 lbs hanging off the rear of the jeep. In an ideal world, no. But for me seeing how I only really need it on long road trips, it's not that big of a deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sztUtUOxXs

Sorry for the hijack.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No problem. Like myself. I have needed it a couple of times now. It will also be great when camping with my pop up and generator. Carry the extra gas a tidy way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier