JK Sway Bar Skid Plate with Lightbar

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I am curious how many people have "used" their sway bar skid plate on the JK platform? My factory plastic one came off the first time I went off-road. In the year following it looks like the frame underneath has not taken any hits.

I am thinking about installing a 20" lightbar I had kicking around down there. The dual row bar seems to be the correct dimensions. How ever if others have found this area to be in need of skid plate, then I will reconsider.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I suspect it is more about airflow and associated gas mileage than skid plating. If you drive carefully and with basic sanity you should be generally able to protect your sway bar and usually your tie rod... although I’ve seen a few of those bent on trails.

wADVr

Adventurer
I’ve had a Poison Spyder bumper and no skid plate for a decade now. I’ve hit it a couple times and bent the drop frame back almost touching the smart bar assembly. That said when I hit it it was not during normal activities and involved tall ledges. A skid plate tied into the bumper may have saved it from bending.

i wouldn’t be too concerned about mounting a light bar in the gap unless you’re doing some serious rock crawling Or you drive with little regard for your vehicle ( or think it’s invincible)..

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Thanks for the replies. The input was appreciated.
I suspect it is more about airflow and associated gas mileage than skid plating. If you drive carefully and with basic sanity you should be generally able to protect your sway bar and usually your tie rod... although I’ve seen a few of those bent on trails.

I agree with this 100%. That is why when mine got pulled off on the trail I never replaced it. I do apply fluid film to the electrical connector for the sway bar disconnect in hopes of its continual survival.

I’ve had a Poison Spyder bumper and no skid plate for a decade now. I’ve hit it a couple times and bent the drop frame back almost touching the smart bar assembly. That said when I hit it it was not during normal activities and involved tall ledges. A skid plate tied into the bumper may have saved it from bending.

i wouldn’t be too concerned about mounting a light bar in the gap unless you’re doing some serious rock crawling Or you drive with little regard for your vehicle ( or think it’s invincible)..

As most people I do not spend all my time in the rocks, but at the same time I am up for a challenge as long as I feel me and my equipment can handle it. Ledges I do enjoy so I may have to rethink this location, or hide it in a skid plate of its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles