JK spare tire

XXXpedition

Explorer
Will the JK tail gate hold a 35" tire (weight)?
If I build a rack that sits on the hinges, will the hinges and quarter panel hold the weight? (similar to the OR-FAB carrier see pic)
85207-1LG.jpg

TheGillz

Explorer
From what I have read 35 is ok, not any more though. So that pic you have I would think has been heavily added on for support.

Plus if you look closely the gate itself is not holding the tire/cans in that pic, but the seperate hinge over the gate hinge.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
A friend of mine has a 35" tire with the Hutchinson bead lock (very heavy) on the factory spare tire mount Done plenty of hard offroading, no issues.

Zeero

Adventurer
In one word....yes.

We have 34.4" MT's on our STOCK tire carriers, and it holds just fine.

That being said, long term travel, I would prefer to move the tire to the roof.....simple vibration and sheer reasons.

WFTW

Adventurer
Generally all spare tire mounts will hold a 35" tire (have yet to come across one that wouldn't.

The TeraFlex spare tire mount will hold up to a 37" tire if you're looking for one that attaches to the rear bumper.

XXXpedition

Explorer
thanks for the info. i would only run a 35" tire...
but the seperate hinge over the gate hinge.
i know, that's why i wanted to know if the hinge and quarter panel would hold the additional weight. in this case the distance away (backward) from the tailgate could cause problems in my opinion...

for now i just run it on the stock carrier (once i get it :)).
sven

jagular7

Adventurer
With the previous comments, I would also suggest you keep the spare pressed against the tailgate. You really don't want any weight to have 'free' movement through vibration. This will in time fatigue mounts, hinges, etc and sheetmetal will tear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior