JK Roof Rack

Timgco

Adventurer
That's a great price...and below MAP pricing as well.

Armed Mobile Survivor www.armedmobilesurvivor.com just started carrying Gobi racks and we have them on sale for $1,300 with free shipping to the lower 48 states and a free ladder! I'm new here but have been off-roading for more than 25 years. We will be carrying expedition gear for Jeeps among other things. Sorry just had to chime in here since I'm proud to be representing Gobi now. I haven't even had a chance to add them to our website but if you call me and mention this post I'll order one for you at this great price and all the freebies.

Timgco

Adventurer
All of your requirements point toward the GOBI for sure. Couple that GOBi with a pair of AEV corner guards and you will have THE perfect setup to haul that RTT around and wheel that truck for years to come.

the GOBi racks are undercoated and powdercoated, use stainless hardware, and offer a ton of support. The rack will also hinge back to allow for your softop to be folded down. the no drill installation is what makes this rack so nice. They ship anywhere in the world as also.

I have run the GOBIs on my 2012 JKU and now the 2012 JKU. great racks. Realestate up top is "ok". add the sunroof insert in and you have a ton of room.

hi-lift mount, awning mounts, RTT mounts, Rotopax mounts light mounts with custom lightbars are all available.

Make sure you buy from a CERTIFIED GOBi dealer.

I'm on the search for a roof rack that I can use to mount a rooftop tent onto. So far I really like the Garvin racks but after doing some research I found out that they often crack the body of the jeep(at the rear mounting points). With this finding I no longer want to go with the Garvin rack and I'm trying to find something that is simple.

- I will be using the rack to mount a Tepui Rooftop Tent onto it.
- I would like one that does not require any drilling(if thats possible)
- Also looking for one that works with the AEV snorkel

Any help on the type of rack that would work best for all this? Also I have a 4 door soft top.

Thanks

Timgco

Adventurer
P4090096.jpg

P4090095.jpg

P4090099.jpg

Timgco

Adventurer
hinges up with a leash to hold it in place while your remove your softop.
rackhinged.jpg

the dual ladders really finish off the back AND add protection to the corners somewhat.
P3060035.jpg

figures

I'll be putting together a video showing how to install a Gobi Ranger roof rack with the quick release accessory. Since the Gobi Ranger roof rack has the larger off road light mounts we'll be installing 4 off road lights most likely Hella lights and using a Rugged Ridge A-pillar switch pod to give the dirver easy access to the light switches. In addition to the roof rack and lighting four infrared Sony CCD cameras will be mounted to the roof rack to give a 360 degree view to the driver and passenger via a windshield stem mounted 9" monitor. The videos will be done in segments with the final segment showing a Maggiolina roof top tent installation with a second monitor being mounted inside the tent with another set of switched to allow the occupants a 360 degree view of their surrounding at night if warranted. Since I'm totally new here I'll try to figure out how to post the video here or provide a link when available. If anyone has any ideas about the best way to run the wiring for the lights and cameras through the hard top I'd love to hear some ideas. I'm thinking we want the wiring to have a quick disconnect to allow the Gobi rack and accessories to be lifted back out of the way quickly. Since the Gobi roof rack front windshield mount bar stay stationary and the whole thing pivots using a hinge point on the rear it seems the logical place to place the quick disconnects is above the front stationary roof rack bar. Although we sell Gobi roof rack and other quality built off road parts at AMS...we do not have an installation department and I'll be putting the videos together to show how you can do this at home. God help me haha.

Kevin719

The wife & I have been thinking of an upgrade to a JKU for longer trips and have been wanting to do a RTT also. The one thing we like about the LJ we have now is the Sunrider top, that folds back over the front seats, feels like your riding with the top down but allows for quick cover ups when those afternoon Colorado thunderstorms roll in. Are you still able to remove and install the front panels on the hard top with the Gobi rack installed on a JK without folding the rack back.

Timgco

Adventurer
yes, on the JK you can slide the freedom panels out without hinging the rack back. you can also remove teh entire hardtop without hinging or removing the rack. you do have to pull the ladders off though.

The wife & I have been thinking of an upgrade to a JKU for longer trips and have been wanting to do a RTT also. The one thing we like about the LJ we have now is the Sunrider top, that folds back over the front seats, feels like your riding with the top down but allows for quick cover ups when those afternoon Colorado thunderstorms roll in. Are you still able to remove and install the front panels on the hard top with the Gobi rack installed on a JK without folding the rack back.

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I just got the Gobi rack for my '12 JKU, and after installing it, I can say that I am impressed. From the minute you open the packaging, you can tell that details matter to the manufacturer of this rack. Someone mentioned, well thought out, and that it is. All interfaces are padded, and all the hardware included is stainless steel, they also use nylon lock washers, wear pads in many places to protect the vehicle. Everything down to some nice corner guards included on the rear just matches up perfectly. The finish is excellent, absolutely no flaws. The installation is straight forward, no drill, logical, and comes with very detailed instructions with figures. I jumped (literally) on top after it was installed and nothing budged except the Jeep's suspension. It's solid, and I'm 250lbs.

People mentioned other racks to me, mainly the Kongo Masters, saying it provided more capacity @ 500lbs of load carry capacity. However, that is the rating on the frame, and doesn't include the weight of the cage, which reduces that number. You will notice that the Gobi says 300lbs capacity, but that is on the rear section, and if you add the freedom panel insert section, you get an addition 150lbs on that section. Deductive reasoning should tell you that the frame of the Gobi can support at least 450lbs, based on that. With others, you may get the capacity at the frame, but the cages you buy may not actually support that weight. So, I would consider the Gobi a 500lb rack, and that's about as much weight as anyone should ever consider carrying on a roof rack.

UNI

Adventurer
codename607 Posted: I'm on the search for a roof rack that I can use to mount a rooftop tent onto. So far I really like the Garvin racks but after doing some research I found out that they often crack the body of the jeep(at the rear mounting points). With this finding I no longer want to go with the Garvin rack and I'm trying to find something that is simple.

Codename607,

I have not heard of Garvin having any problems with cracking at the body mounting points. I've had two Jeeps racked out with Garvin Wilderness/G2 products and have had NO problems at all.

I'd highly recommend Garvin!

UNI :coffee:

Mike @ X-Treme

Gobi on JK

I've had my Gobi rack almost a year now with several trips on it with and without an ARB tent on top. No issues whatsoever and I can't say enough about the quality.IMG_4431.jpgIMG_7322b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior