JK production comes to a close

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.toledoblade.com/Automoti...er-JK-run-ends-making-way-for-Jeep-truck.html

After 12 years and more than 2.1 million vehicles produced, the Jeep JK assembly line has fallen silent . The factory will be converted to produce the new Pickup. The JL Wrangler is already in production in another area in the Toledo assembly facility.

The success of the JK parallels the strong growth in interest in the concept of adventure travel. Expedition Portal, Overland Journal and Overland Expo all played a role in that growth.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
How does that compare, units produced-wise compared to the venerable Jeep XJ with its 16 year production run? 1984-2001. I"ve owned 3 of them: 1989 Limited; 1990 mid grade which I rolled off a cliff in Telluride; 1999 which I still have.

jefe

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Compare the Xj with the SJ, Wagoneer:

"The Jeep Wagoneer is the first luxury 4x4, sold and produced for Jeep by several automakers from 1962 to 1991.[4] Marketed as a station wagon, the design became known as "sport utility vehicle" (SUV) when Jeep first used the term for the 1974 Cherokee version,[5][6] the 4WD Wagoneer stayed in production for 29 model-years (1963–1991) with almost unchanged body-structure, making it the third longest-produced single generation car in U.S. automotive history.[7]"

And despite some serious searching I can find no solid production numbers earlier than 1974 let's just assume it was a crapton.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
How does that compare, units produced-wise compared to the venerable Jeep XJ with its 16 year production run? 1984-2001. I"ve owned 3 of them: 1989 Limited; 1990 mid grade which I rolled off a cliff in Telluride; 1999 which I still have.

jefe

No sure about numbers but it will never compare as far as being a real jeep. The xj was the last great family station wagon, a memory maker. It was 100% purpose designed to be user friendly and utilitarian. To get mom to the grocery store, the family to the campground, the kids to school, practice etc. Hard to kill is an understatement. The 4.0 was IMHO one of the best motors ever, it gave you everything you needed and nothing more. It was perfect in its simplicity.

I've had 4 jk's including a 6.4 brute and a jk350 now and I say this with all sincerity - the jk line gave rise to starwood motors conversions, angry grills, rgb headlights, 5 light bars and 37's but no re-gearing or lockers and the gutless wonders that are the 3.8 and 3.6 At least the aftermarket is deep enough so some of them aren't total rolling abortions.

Jurfie

Adventurer

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That's a bummer; I was planning on replacing my '14 JKR in a year or so. Next time I'm near a dealer, I'll have to try one on for size (I'm 6'-6" tall).
I'm more leg than torso/arm so I have to have the seat back enough for my knees to clear the steering wheel and still have to be close enough to reach the wheel. If the wheel telescoped I might be able to recline more. But, the way it is, I can't drive a JL and I'm pissed off about it...

I wish you luck. If you have monkey arms you might be able to jigger the seat/wheel to work.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Uh,...Allpar is allwrong about the XJ years. Production years: 1984-2001.I drove one of the first ones off the line in 1984. It was a 4 cyl. with 4.10's and a T-5 trans. At under 3000 pounds it was pretty peppy even with the 4-banger. It was obvious that as a compact 4WD with a low silhouette, it was not a good fit for tall people.
jefe

I liked my jkur not sure what your complaining about as with any car or truck there will be dip sh—- that do stupid things to it angry eyes excess light bars wings on Honda civics fake bullet holes. Spinner wheels. And the list goes on.

I drove a tj rubicon across the rubicon trail. My first jeep was a 77 cj7. Golden eagle I put 175000 on my jkur. And I just bought a new jlur. iMHO the jkur was a really good jeep way better than the tj and I had the gutless 3.8. The new jlur with the 3.6 is way better than the jkur and light years ahead of the tj. Which was light years ahead of my cj7

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
i see the jku as the only true successor to the xj cherokee. It's the same solid axle four door statio wagon recipee, it just has a frame and a more utilitarian look. I really liked the JK. I bought a new JKUR in 13 and had to let it go for more seating in 15. When the JL arrived I test drove it and i HONESTLY LIKED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT BUT HOW IT LOOKS. It's going to be a great Jeep with all the features it has. But it didn't make me smile like my JK so tonight theres a new JKUR recon in the driveway and I'm back on here druling at the pics!

jadmt

ignore button user
i see the jku as the only true successor to the xj cherokee. It's the same solid axle four door statio wagon recipee, it just has a frame and a more utilitarian look. I really liked the JK. I bought a new JKUR in 13 and had to let it go for more seating in 15. When the JL arrived I test drove it and i HONESTLY LIKED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT BUT HOW IT LOOKS. It's going to be a great Jeep with all the features it has. But it didn't make me smile like my JK so tonight theres a new JKUR recon in the driveway and I'm back on here druling at the pics!

I am sure the JL is nice too but my neighbor has a new rubicon and just not loving the looks in person. I get to see it every day so maybe it will grow on me who knows. I do know I would not trade him mine for his (he is the gm of the dealership so he would love to trade no doubt :)) even tho he is the gm he never owned a wrangler or thought much of them before I moved next door and he saw mine every day (I have owned 4). I just like jk's better at this point.
IMG_20180602_120226563_HDR_zpsahsl06f9.jpg

EMrider

Explorer
IMHO Jeep keeps defying the skeptics and raising the bar. As much as I love my LJ, the JKUR is better in almost every way. Comfort, capacity, power, off road capability, etc...the JKUR comes out ahead. I’m looking forward to getting a JLUR in 3-4 years.
R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles