JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
So basically it sounds like most people want more of a functional sleeping unit rather than a full camper......

People can fill in as they need if we end up doing something more basic. The 4-door ( 5-door ) production JK is going to be MUCH more prevalent than a J8. Honestly I think that the J8 would be the ultimate platform, but its a very super small market.

To keep the carryover between the J8 and JK we are going to have to figure out something to do for the upper half of the doors ONLY on the 3-door versions.

How much space is there between the rollbar and hard top on a JK. Can someone please post pictures. This measurement is going to dictate both the thickness of the bed and/or the amount we have to raise the factory roof line behind the 'targa' tops.

If we are going to keep the 'targa' top feature...what do you think about having that portion of the top rimmed with a small roof rack on 3-sides? This would allow the line from the rear of the top to the front to be carried over and allow a small storage space for stuff when the 'targa' tops are in place. This could be a great place to throw some firewood or something. Whatever is up there would have to be removed before opening the top....just an idea. It might also provide a hand hold for people getting in and out of the jeep.

Having the rear seats and belts operational with the new top shouldn't be a problem. The main bed isn't going to be able to sleep more than 2 adults comfortably. We could think about having an option for two earthroamer style bunks/cots for 2 kids/teens in the rear portion. I would think that these beds are going to be no longer than 5'6"ish. Sleeping 4 is one thing, having room for 4-peoples gear is another.

I think the ideal configuration would be for two adults, no back seats, and more rear storage?

Personally I am looking for a more permanent camper, something like an earthroamer but smaller, lighter, and more compact overall....

I think an option should be the rear floor setup. I think the J8 has something like this in steel but with no access to the underside? I like the ability to access the storage under the platform, that would be a very nice place to put heavy things....weight down low.

Idea. Perhaps build an auxiliary fuel or water tank that is molded to the rear seat floor yet provides a flat storage surface on top. That would be almost the IDEAL location to carry extra fuel. An optional filler could be installed in the door inserts or door area for the permanent camper folks. Again, this would be a functional add on down the road. Not a part of the base unit, basically I am just thinking out loud.

I will try and work up a better chop tonight....

fun project....gets the brain working.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
The Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf
Ok, its really easy to add and add and add....

Lets slow down and focus on the camper concept before we start adding stuff on everywhere. The awning is a valid idea, but I would think that best we could do is integrate a mounting position/brace inside the fiberglass shell. Also, a full awning like that is going to have to be mounted pretty high to avoid the doors, perhaps adding more height to the camper shell.

The more simple we make this idea the easier it is going to be to get built.
Fully agree. Let's concentrate on creating a base sleeper top for the JK; details like awning, floor and interior should IMHO be left to the individual owners. I would love to be able to buy what I can not make myself, the bare bone camper top, and fab the rest to my gusto. Don't forget: real Jeeps, also camper Jeeps, are made, not bought

I fully agree. I was just trying to make a case for leaving the rear doors on. Keep it simple! I do think the rear roll bar is going to be a major inconvenience.

Gear

Metcalf wrote
How much space is there between the rollbar and hard top on a JK. Can someone please post pictures. This measurement is going to dictate both the thickness of the bed and/or the amount we have to raise the factory roof line behind the 'targa' tops.
The roll bar over the B pilar is 1 1/2" to the hardtop. At the C pilar it is 2 1/2" to the hardtop. Here are some shots inside for reference.

DSC_2047.jpg

DSC_2048.jpg

DSC_2049.jpg

If I was able to get a Flip-Pac like this built I would have to rework the rear roll cage bar. Possible moving it all the way back or making some sort of removable one for when you open the tent. There is only 20" from the rear roll bar(C pilar) to the back of the hardtop. If you could relocate this roll bar you would have close to 54"

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Crazy idea....what if the rear doors opened up into storage compartments that where sealed from the inside? This way you could have some pretty slick storage areas for dirty/muddy/wet stuff....
I was thinking along the same lines. Doe to the special design of the rear edge of the Chrysler removable front roof halfs, probably a new roof would have to be molded. Why not making one that has molded front tray like the VW Westfalia pop-ups?

OK, getting too fancy again.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Not sure which of the two concepts below:
  • I would actually like better
  • Would be easier to produce, keeping in mind the whole contraption should be somewhat watertight
  • Would be accepted by a wider audience
  • Would have a more attractive price point

vehicles_show_outpost_jk.jpg

earthroamerconcept4doorshort.jpg

Both designs have their pros and cons. The FlipPac design offers more room and in the short version the advantage of the open air feeling, I feel however that the traditional pop-up roof design is easier to put into production. The Outpost design already have seen a prototype on the JK, the FlipPac design has not seen a prototype on the Jeep yet. Just because AEV decided not to put their prototype into production does not mean nobody else could do it; there is IMHO nothing propitiatory to their design.

EdoHart

Observer
You're really on to something.

All of those concepts are appealing. If this every gets built, I may have to trade in my truck and FWC.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I think if you have it fold out you might as well have it overhang the rear of the Jeep so you can use it as a shade canopy and or attach a screen or tent.

To me this is the perfect configuration, assuming there's enough length to sleep an adult on the overhang and enough height to stand up under the peak near the end of the Jeep.

earthroamerconcept4doorshort.jpg

Assuming the rooftop portion under the tent is not fully open once the tent is deployed; I really like the idea that the front end of the tent area could hold all of your personal gear & clothing while sleeping in the back overhang part. And then all of the camping/wheeling gear would be kept in the back of the jeep or outside of the jeep while at camp to allow access through the roof 'portal'.

The best part to me is that; with keeping the rear doors & seats in place, I would have no issues with taking the family for a scenic drive in the mountains or along on a camping trip, even thought the kids might need their own ground tent due to the space issue in the RTT.

Ideas like this make me want to sell my XJ and buy a JK.

Gear

I spent a couple of hours at Adventure Trailers this weekend. Mario has the Flip-Pac on his Jeep MJ. Looking at it there is no way the t-tops on the JK are going to be able to stay. The bed would be to short. Second the top is going to have to be at least 7" higher than the JK roof. This allows for the front hinge as well as the fabric from the tent. Going with an Earthroamer style off the back only complicates things. The Earthroamer uses a winch to open and close it. I would like to see another photoshop picture with a Flip-Pac going all the way to the windshield. As well as increasing the roof height by 7". Now if we could just come up with a solution for the existing roll cage. It is going to be right in the way of the usable standing space.

Metcalf That one was a request...
Thanks, Looks good!

tommudd

Explorer
Gear fully understand what you mean, went and REALLY looke at the interior of the JK and yes it would after looking need to be like you stated I think. Roll cage.... not sure what can be done there.
I would like to see something come of this as I plan on getting a JK soon and this would fit my needs perfectly. But I don't really want or need a full blown kitchen/living area inside, just a place for passengers if need be, storage and at night sleeping area with the ability to stand up.

keep the ideas flowing:victory:

suntinez

Explorer
I would like to see another photoshop picture with a Flip-Pac going all the way to the windshield. As well as increasing the roof height by 7".

I don't know much about the JKs but have been watching this thread with interest. According to FRP, there are only two different sizes of the top piece - the part that flips, with the mattress in it. For fullsize and "mini"-trucks, corresponding to the substantially different widths.

That's why all the different shaped bottom pieces depending on whether it's a longbed, regular bed or shortbed. You can see how different these two look - one on a Tacoma regular bed, the other on a Tundra longbed.
flippers.jpg

So just from looking at the pics on this thread, I think you're right - the "nose" on the camper part would have to extend closer to the front of the JK - that space behind the back seats looks tiny!

As far as height - I agree here also - it would have to be higher than the roofline of the JK. 7" seems about right. My flip when opened has about 6" of clearance between the cab roof and the mattress part. I wish it was higher because I'd like to put a roof rack on the cab. I don't have any really good pictures of this but these should give some idea:

partsoverview.jpg

openwithcrank.jpg

Last time I was at FRP they told me they'd recently made their smallest ever - 48" (that would be the truck bed length) - maybe Mario can tell us about that?

(sorry my pics are all different sizes)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Thanks suntinez, these pics are helpful.

Now if we could just come up with a solution for the existing roll cage.
As long as the design attaches to the JK body like the hard-top and is not made like a slide-in camper shell, I don't think the roll cage will cause that much of a hassle. I am more concerned about how to get everything water-tight, no matter if at the windshield or a seam where the targa top attaches.

Looking at suntinez' pics, attaching a lip at the lower front edge of the of the FlipPac and have the targe top attache to this actually sound really feasible. I agree that one half of the FlipPac alone does not offer enough sleeping length, neither does one half of a traditional RTT.

I replaced my hardtop with the softtop this Sunday for the summer months. The hardtop is sitting on my garage floor right now and I am just thinking about the possibility of robbing a Autohome Columbus RTT of its lower shell and crafting it directly to the hardtop...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior