JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I'm kind of surprised this thread died out so quickly?

Anyways, I am still thinking about it.

I think the interior space of a J8/4door JK would be about the same as a 109/110 land rover?

I am definitely lusting after a J8 3 door built into an expedition camper today!
I started a similar tread in the Jeep section of this forum http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24335 It seams we are not as many who share the same dream as one might think :( Oh well , will make it even sweeter when we manage to realize our dream and you will see the quantity of people jumping on the bandwagon ;)

I had a Defender 110 in Europe and they are roomier on the inside than the JK. They are a wider, higher and longer. From the front seat to the rear door they have over 6 feet, while we have like 5'8" in the JK Unlimited. Anyhow, I see no reason why we can't do something like Teri Ann's Dormobile.

JK Unlimited Campers, unite!!!! :elkgrin:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think Teri Ann's Dormobile is about as simple and perfect as I have seen. I would love to see something like that duplicated in a J8 out of super light weight and rugged materials like carbon fiber, NidaCore, etc.

While it wouldn't be the easiest way to build I think it might be worth it in the long run for weight reduction or weight conservation. I love my dodge/trailer/Willy's jeep combo most of the time. But it would be really cool to be able to camp and wheel the same vehicle some of the time. I fear that I would push it a little too far but once I got that under control I think that would be really cool.

I would definitely want to keep the top as low as possible and perhaps integrate a rub bar into the perimeter of the camper top for protection of the edge of the camper.

The top could be made to fit the J8 and JK with a fiberglass insert to take the place of the rear doors easy enough.

Any other thoughts?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I also think that having the entire camper shell molded with a floor would be really nice. That way whatever was built inside the camper could be removed all in one easy process. Have it be somewhat self-contained per say. I wouldn't waste any space in the bed either. Have the floor molded to fit right in the back of the jeep. It could be held in with all the factory hard top attachment points perhaps? Having it all be one big carbon fiber shell would be wicked!

This way the jeep could still be used for other things fairly easily and reverted back to stock for multi-use and flexibility?

Perhaps even have it so you can lift out the camper and drop it off at a camp spot and wheel the jeep separately for the harder trails and stuff?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
This could only be truly viable for the 4 door JK. The 2 door JK, TJ, YJ & CJ have roof lines that are too short to make sleeping surface without a hinge breaking it up. As much as I like the LJ, there simply are not enough of them out there to make a reasonable market. The 4 door JK on the other hand has seen a strong market.

That being said, in order to achieve a real world design, we are talking about adding 7-8" to the roof height. We're also looking at about a $4000 price tag. Considering that a aftermarket hard top runs about $2200, a decent RTT of that size is $1750 and a set of 3 Thule bars & track bars to mount it on $400 (total $4375) then the price tag would not be out of line.

Any feed back on roof height or pricing from interested parties?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think roof height should be kept to an minimum. That is the one thing I don't really like about the earthroamer! I think its just too tall. I would like to see the roof raised a maximum of 6" overall.

I am willing to do the modeling and CAD/CAM work if people are interested in putting together a concept for manufactures to work with. To be honest, I will probably do the modeling anyways just for myself. In an ideal world it would be VERY nice to have the Jeep solid models to work from. You could literally design the mold plugs very easily that way.

If someone has a 4-door JK sitting outside. Could you get a rough measurements please...

-Distance from the windshield frame to rear of tub
-Width of the jeep body
-height from body line to the top of the top
-height from the floor to body line.
-distance from the windshield to the rear of the front door frame.

I can work up a box model of the concept so we can get a sense of scale and space available.

Also, if someone wants to take a nice clean level side view picture of a 4 door JK I can 'chop the camper concept on the Jeep.

What is everyone's opinion on how the camper should open and what style of tent? Choices are.....

1-Earthroamer style opening to the rear with a full tent, full bed space, and standing height in the living area.

2-Flip-pac style opening to the front with a full tent, full bed space, and standing height in the living area.

3-AEV camper style with the lid just popping open a few feet. The bed could be hinged to allow a triangle sleeping area OR standing height. You basically couldn't use both spaces at the same time.

4-Dormobile style top with the lid hinged along one side. The top would only open 60 degrees or so. The bed could be hinged on one side and fold up with the top for standing room in the camper, or hinged down to form a triangle sleeping area.

5-Wildernest style. The top is hinged on the side and folds over all the way forming a sleeping area and a standing height living area with a full tent over both.

Opinions?

tommudd

Explorer
either # 1 or 2 I like the idea of a covered area in the rear to sit and relax under some cover. I like the Flip Pak look going forward as well, but not as well as Earthromer style. All depends on cost of which way is cheaper to manufacture.
Agree 6 inches to the height would about it, 8 plus inches would throw the scale off I would think
Also full floor so you could remove and still have full function of the Jeep and the unit itself

One reason I have not went out and bought a JK yet is this very thing, what to do with sleeping etc.

Keep the ideas coming. It appears it would work and would be a killler setup

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Here are the numbers. They are rough measurements.

If someone has a 4-door JK sitting outside. Could you get a rough measurements please...

-Distance from the windshield frame to rear of tub 99"
-Width of the jeep body 63"
-height from body line to the top of the top 27"
-height from the floor to body line. 23"
-distance from the windshield to the rear of the front door frame. 30"

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Personally...

I am leaning toward option 4...aka Dormobile style.

I am thinking that having the top NOT fold all the way open would allow you to have a solar panel (s) mounted on the roof and still allow you to use them all the time. If the top folds all the way open you couldn't mount a solar system on the roof AND use it with the top open. The only real downsides to this are that you don't get a shaded are like the EarthRoamer and you can't use the bed and the living are at the same time.

Perhaps you could have the top open only part way during the day, negate the use of the bed in this mode, but allow the solar panels to do there job and charge the batteries. In this mode you would still have standing height in the living area.

EarthRoamer solves this buy having a small solar panel over the two front seats and having the top fold back. Not a bad idea since you get solar panels, a full bed, a standing height living area, and a shaded area at the rear of the jeep. Personally I just think the EarthRoamer is a little to bulky for my tastes.

I was thinking this for a solar panel....

energy_commercial_03.jpg

4'x8' 380W stick on solar panel! :) That should power just about anything you can fit in a camper this size, charge batteries, and perhaps even be able to charge a flat battery enough to start a dead vehicle. I basically want enough solar power to NOT have to start the vehicle while camping for a week at a time....enough power to run a fridge, computer, lights, music, etc.

So is there room for a 4'x8' panel on the top of a 4 door JK?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the measurements....someone want to take a pic so I can photochop the model on the jeep.

I will do a rough model of all the styles.

Fun Fun.

Edit: Need measurement in-between rear wheel wells and from body line to top of wheel wells. Thanks.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
This could only be truly viable for the 4 door JK. The 2 door JK, TJ, YJ & CJ have roof lines that are too short to make sleeping surface without a hinge breaking it up. As much as I like the LJ, there simply are not enough of them out there to make a reasonable market. The 4 door JK on the other hand has seen a strong market.

That being said, in order to achieve a real world design, we are talking about adding 7-8" to the roof height. We're also looking at about a $4000 price tag. Considering that a aftermarket hard top runs about $2200, a decent RTT of that size is $1750 and a set of 3 Thule bars & track bars to mount it on $400 (total $4375) then the price tag would not be out of line.

Any feed back on roof height or pricing from interested parties?
Agree, agree and agree :D I think your key word is "real world design". Even though something like this

attachment.php

or this

attachment.php

might look interesting, feasibility and marketability at reasonable costs would be limited.

Regarding the hight: If you look at the designs of the clam-shell RTT (Maggiolina or Columbus), the Westfalia Campers or the sleek ECamper from Ursaminor

Baja_La_Bocana.JPG

or the AEV Prototype

vehicles_show_outpost_jk.jpg
adding about 6" - 7" to the roofline sounds realistic in order to house the mechanism and tent material. As long as it is a compact design and no overhang or air gap like between the roof and a rtt, impact on fuel economy is minimal whether it is 3" or 10" high. With my Maggiolina on the Grand Cherokee, I lost at highwayspeeds about 2.5 mpg. Once I closed the gap between the roof and the RTT in the front with a fairing (all the rest still was open so for sure it was not ideal), I gained about 1mpg back.

I think $4,000 (3,999 ;)) is absolutely in line and an amount I would be willing to save up and spend in a camper top for my JK.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Edit: Need measurement in-between rear wheel wells 43 1/2" between and 41" at the rear door and from body line to top of wheel wells. 16 1/2" Thanks.

Here is a quick shot of my BajaJK. The roof rack might give you trouble with the photoshop. Thanks. Oh and I would like to see either a Flip-pac or Earthroamer style opening.

Justin

DSC_2034.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Rough 'chops....

earthroamerconcept.jpg

This is the basic configuration of the earthroamer with a slightly longer bed, 4 foot tall tent in the middle.

flippacconcept.jpg

This would be the basic Flip-Pac style camper configuration with the bed opening up over the front of the car. This keeps the footprint much smaller overall, but you loose your shade/rain cover at the rear of the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles