JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Any truth to the rumor that Flippac is going to make a shell/camper for the JK/J8 jeeps?

I would love to see something to compete with the Earthroamer.

I think being able to build in stages and to suit would be great competition.

I would love to buy a J8 3-door from AEV with the Diesel option! I think that could be one of the coolest small campers of all time!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I hope there is a glimmer of truth in that. I mentioned a long time ago that I'd like to have seen Flippac make one for the LJ's, but I doubt enough were every made to make it a good business model.

The TJ is actually just about big enough to have a viable tent, but once again, I'm not sure enough owners would be interested.

They would have to do some mass marketing or get a Mopar contract where the dealers would offer them.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I hope there is a glimmer of truth in that. I mentioned a long time ago that I'd like to have seen Flippac make one for the LJ's, but I doubt enough were every made to make it a good business model.

Sign me up. I'd love to put a Flippac on my LJ. I'm currently sticky money back to put one on the Tundra, but an LJ model would be so much cooler.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Any truth to the rumor that Flippac is going to make a shell/camper for the JK/J8 jeeps?

Total rumor. There is currently not enough interest. Get me 100 people interested in it and I may pursue it. The development costs are too steep for just a few.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ok.....99 other people need to pipe up!

I guess I might just have to build it myself out of carbon fiber and titanium :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
So to pass the time while we get the other 98 people.....

What features would you like to see in a JK/J8 flip top camper?

My list-

-I want the sides to not taper from the body line up. This way on the inside I can build cabinets from the floor up very easy and simple.

-I want a one piece rear door. Factory style glass and wiper.

-Make the rear corners super strong so they can take a hit off road and not crack or shatter.

-Windows can be optional. I would only want a window on the passenger side to help with pulling out of angled parking spaces on the road, and merging in traffic. Use something really cool for the window that is replaceable without going to the manufacturer. An integrated screen/shade window would be really really nice.

-Make the tent portion of the camper out of something like eVent so it can be a single wall year round tent without having to have a rain fly. Yes, it would be expensive, but it would be WAY worth it I think. The big windows and elevated level of the camper should help with ventilation to curb condensation.

-I would keep the overall height as low as possible over the windshield. This can help off road performance as well as keep frontal area down a bit for mileage and power.

-The geek in me says have a folding panel on top that contains solar panels that when you open the top it swings out also and lands down by the front bumper if you want. Having solar power for the stay put days would be really nice. Especially if it could run the fridge/lights/and laptop without having to start the vehicle.

Thats my starter list....anyone else?

-

Bella PSD

Explorer
I don’t see this happening. FRP does not seem interested in the least on expanding the Flip Pac line at all. I sometimes wonder if they will keep making them. The Flip Pac seems to be a side job for them and a small one at that.

OK, enough being down....It would be VERY cool if they would do it!!!!! And I vote for the tent being made out of some kind of rain proof material, no more rain fly. I think I would want it to flip forward. I tried the rear flip and it was just odd feeling. Maybe a wildernest owner could chime in on sleeping in mid air. I prefer to flip over the cap, smaller footprint, more contained too.:coffee:

Louie

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
after renting a JK in Puerto Rico Gen and I can say we finnaly like a Jeep LOL! I think if a flippac was available, we would have to purchase one just to get the flippac. That would be a great set up for an adventure vehicle, and allow the mortals to actually afford it.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
94 :victory:

Actually, I contacted Rob at Phoenix Camper http://www.phoenixcampers.com/ a couple weeks ago. Rob's dad is actually the original owner designer and manufacturer of the FWC; that's when FWC made the cool cabins for the Scouts, Broncos and Blazers.

This is the answer I got from Rob:
Hi Michael,

We custom build to fit any truck. Our first campers, back in the early 1970s were built on blazers, broncos, scouts, and trailblazers only, then we started building units for pick ups too.

Our base CUSTOM MODEL has exactly what you are asking for...
... Let me know what you think, Thanks!

Rob @ Coyote RV
(303) 286-3921
coyoterv4u@yahoo.com

There is somebody who has experience and is willing to work on making a camper shell for the JK Unlimited and the LJ :wings: Under the current economic conditions, I will not be able to pull the trigger immediately, but i will definitely start dreaming and putting pennies aside.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm kind of surprised this thread died out so quickly?

Anyways, I am still thinking about it.

I did a rough layout of what I would want the camper to be laid out like. I think the key with a product like this is to NOT build in the camper. Everyone is going to want something a little different. Some people are going to just want a bare inside, some people seating for 3 or 4 people instead of 2, etc.

One of the best set-up small campers I have seen is Teri Ann's land rover.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

If you haven't looked at her site please do.

I think the interior space of a J8/4door JK would be about the same as a 109/110 land rover?

I am definitely lusting after a J8 3 door built into an expedition camper today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles