JK Interior Remodel

Peytoven

gcDLezbl.jpg

So for the past two years, my 4-door JK has been a two seater. As an overland built jeep that I spend at least two months a year living out of, doing this made sense. As Jeep owners, we are cursed with an incredibly poor payload. Weight is always a concern of mine and I am always trying to cut down so for me It is much more comfortable to have myself, a co-pilot, and our gear

In the past two years, I have rebuilt the interior four separate times spending time with each build and learning so I could fix my mistakes. After two years I feel I have nailed down the perfect design for my needs. When I started this project I had never built anything out of wood before.

Gen 1: The first one was a complete mess but it retained one strong characteristic: It was simple. It failed however because it was very poorly built, poorly designed, and stupid heavy.

1jpTkdVl.jpg

Gen 2: My building got a little bit better for this one. But it turned into an over engineered mess. It was looked better than the first but its downfall was its complication. Everything was too specific and not modular enough. My kit and the things I bring with me change often and this did not accept change.

edT1ZU2l.jpg

Gen 3: This sucked so hard, I am ashamed, and I don't want to talk about it. I had no idea what I was thinking.

OMBThvjl.jpg

Gen 4: So when I built this last and current one I finally put my foot down and told myself I wanted something I was proud of. The three main project goals I had for this were as follows: I wanted something pretty to look at, I wanted something functional, and I wanted something simple.

The big debate I had for this was to go with drawers or no drawers. I was constantly going back and forth and settled on no drawers for several reasons. I do not carry enough small items to justify them, they are heavy, they take up a lot of space, and they are not modular. The only equipment I keep in the jeep is tools and recovery gear. Everything else lives in separate bins and I can easily store them in the back of an open platform. The flat platform is simple and effective. I can carry I wide variety of things depending on what I am doing. I do Not keep a ton of stuff in the jeep so I can store things in various, low key cubbies.

I started by building the two panels that will attach it to the jeep using bolts from the back seats.

TOB32FCl.jpg

nVscXiKl.jpg

6hpz8uyl.jpg

X19sp5dl.jpg

fR9gpPKl.jpg

7lwQsHMl.jpg

2iCGgWCl.jpg

2vJzeFAl.jpg

RSYp9Oyl.jpg

0FP6yZVl.jpg

UdHXUuDl.jpg

loP9Jadl.jpg

RByTDejl.jpg

m0OAi3hl.jpg

1Fuaj26l.jpg

Ozr34qll.jpg

tpZZ8gTl.jpg

gcDLezbl.jpg

It has been fielded a couple of times and everything is exactly what I wanted! Thanks for checking this out, Ill get pictures of it loaded up from my next trip

FauxArmy

FauxArmy
Peytoven-- thanks for the laugh!! When I read your comments on "Gen 3" I laughed out loud; had to go back through pics and comments, and laughed out loud again. Laughed because I think we've all been there. So, you've got some great ideas, and you've already got me thinking about my next build. I'm not unhappy with my current setup21083516_2039777519577505_529947255991849048_o.jpg, it's just that's it isn't really adequate...nice and simple (AND cheap) but not fully functional. I like the idea of just giving up on trying to maintain a back seat, and just going for total gear storage. I'm going to have to toy with that idea. The reality is that the back seat is already full of crap [aka gear] anyway, and very very rarely do I ever have any passengers other than my copilot; so why put up with the mess? I'm going to talk this over with the copilot :) Anyway, thanks again for the laugh! P.S. I bet you didn't put one bit of this on paper before you built it did you? I bet it was mostly in your head, and you designed as you built. Am I correct? I appreciate that approach. That's how I do things.

Last edited:
very cool and similar to what have planned if I don't buy a new jeep My thoughts were to get rid of the rear speaker I don't need it. I am considering building in a cooler or maybe a refrigerator in the foot well. and ai am thinking of using very low height storage spaces> like 3 inches or shorter. I wa los going to insulate the floor.

Superduty

Adventurer
It looks like you created some storage areas immediately behind the front seats and then in the wheel well areas.

Then you made the cargo area a nice flat area? Then I assume you have all your gear and supplies in boxes you will simply put in the cargo area?

I couldn't tell, did you install any tie down spots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles