JK-Headlight Replacement Options?

JFarris

Wanderer
What is the best option for replacing the stock headlights on a 12' JKU? I'm getting a little tired of not being able to see at night. I don't want every car flashing me, but would like something as bright as a newer Chevy P/U.

Lazy Hiker

Check out Daniel Stern's website, and then send him an email requesting his advice. He will respond with a wealth of information, and as best I can tell, his ifo is based on factual data.

I'm getting ready to order his Cibie H4 replacement lights with Osram 70/65w bulbs.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
On a similar note, does anyone know of a headlight protector grill like the mopar one for the rear lights?

Thanks,

-Dan

Healeyjet

Explorer
I installed the Truk-Lite 7" LED's. The low beam is much whiter and brighter than stock. The high beam is way brighter and seems to have a nice wide spread. The only issue I have is the flickering. I have a 2007 and am in Canada. Without the lights on they are daytime running lights. They flicker terribly as daytime running lights. When the headlights are on they only flicker a modest amount which you can really only see when you pull up to a building where the visual feedback is close at hand. Overall I am happy with them though as they are much brighter than stock.
Ward

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I too have installed the Trucklite 7" LED replacements. Mine is 2012 and have disabled the daytime feature with the procalc. As Healyjet said, there is a slight flicker but again, only noticeable when within a few feet of a vertical object.

They are a huge improvement over the factory lights and I very rarely turn on my IPF driving lights now because the projection and spread are so good. Nealy as good as HID and are DOT legal without the hassle of mounting a ballast or having a warm up delay.

e-jeep

Obey the Federal Overlord
I have a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in my garage ...they're going in this weekend. I'll report back.

Septu

Explorer
Check out Daniel Stern's website, and then send him an email requesting his advice. He will respond with a wealth of information, and as best I can tell, his ifo is based on factual data.

I'm getting ready to order his Cibie H4 replacement lights with Osram 70/65w bulbs.

I've had the Hella H4's before (they broke due to hot glass and cold mud puddles), so took advantage of someone selling some used Cibies... honestly I preferred the Hella's - but can't bring myself to pull these and buy Hella's when these are perfectly functional.

I have the Vision X LED fogs, and while cool... I'd spend the money on Cibies or Hella's long before spending them on these. The cool factor is there... but proper headlights are a lot more functional.

driggity

Are they really $500?

:Wow1:

-Dan

You can get them for under $450 for the pair, but yeah definitely not cheap. I absolutely love them on my LJ. I probably would have been happy with the Hella or Cibie upgrades but I don't regret getting the Trucklites.

dstock

Explorer
I recently installed the Trucklites on my 2010. My only regret is not having done it sooner, I can actually see at night again, and they are DOT approved. Much better than some of these HID conversions which do nothing but blind everyone else on the road.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've had the Hella H4's before (they broke due to hot glass and cold mud puddles), so took advantage of someone selling some used Cibies... honestly I preferred the Hella's.

I have a pair of Hellas ready to go in, but have been warned the Hella 55/100 bulbs I have will be to much for factory wiring. What bulbs did you use? I also am curious which H13to H4 pigtail you used? I have been looking at Trucklite 96630.

Septu

Explorer
I have a pair of Hellas ready to go in, but have been warned the Hella 55/100 bulbs I have will be to much for factory wiring. What bulbs did you use? I also am curious which H13to H4 pigtail you used? I have been looking at Trucklite 96630.

The first time around I used Phillips Extreme bulbs. However after those burnt out within 4 months (both bulbs) I just went with some local bulbs from Crappy Tire (I think all they sell is Sylvinia?). I also used Rallylight's aftermarket harness, so that they were pulling full power directly from the battery.

Unless one is using LEDs, I'd recommend that they use a full harness. This gives them greater options in bulb choices, and gives the bulbs full power instead of whatever the PMW (stock JK harness) gives - as it isn't a full 12v. Rallylights sells it for $120, or make your own for less than $30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior