JK expedition springs

Northridge4x4

Supporting Sponsor: Northridge4x4
Here's what I've got. Rock Krawler 2.5" triple rates front and rear. Full ARB Drawers and fridge in back.

We have done a hand full with their "overland" version. 3.5 coils in rear

IMG_1599.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnlimiDozer

Observer
Doesn't ARB make a 4" coil now?

They do a 4.5", which is what I have run since late 2012, and have been very happy with it. IMO, the ride is good empty but I'm armored up. Before adding the bumpers, armor, winch, 37' spare, etc., I thought it was a little harsh. But when it's loaded up, it does not squat excessively, and it rides like a dream. And if you want to go crawling, it's up for that too (see final pic).

This is on the way back from Moab. It's not unusual for me to have the Jeep loaded heavy, with tools, spare parts (axle shafts, control arms, drive shafts, etc.), spare fluids, ice chest (now an ARB 50 fridge, woot!), recovery gear, snow chains (Sierras!), and 3 - 4 people, as well as pulling this trailer (which now has a roof rack as well) with most of the actual camp gear in it.

Here's the stance with that same trailer, still with the factory fenders. No armor and not loaded up here though.

This will give you some idea of the flex (don't pull a trailer here! :D):

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I had the AEV 3.5 inch springs. The fronts held up okay, but the rears sagged by 1.5 inches on one side and 1.75 inches on the other side compared to when I measured them after their initial 4-week break-in period. I never put what I'd call a heavy load on them but they sagged so severely with even only an 85lb. tongue weight on my trailer that I was hitting the bumpstops constantly. I replaced the AEV's with MetalCloak 3.5 inch springs about 6 months and the load carrying capacity, ride quality, and spring height all remain spot on. I'm much happier with their "dual rate" springs versus the "progressive rate" AEV springs.

ARB_USA

Supporting Sponsor
They do a 4.5", which is what I have run since late 2012, and have been very happy with it. IMO, the ride is good empty but I'm armored up. Before adding the bumpers, armor, winch, 37' spare, etc., I thought it was a little harsh. But when it's loaded up, it does not squat excessively, and it rides like a dream. And if you want to go crawling, it's up for that too (see final pic).

This is on the way back from Moab. It's not unusual for me to have the Jeep loaded heavy, with tools, spare parts (axle shafts, control arms, drive shafts, etc.), spare fluids, ice chest (now an ARB 50 fridge, woot!), recovery gear, snow chains (Sierras!), and 3 - 4 people, as well as pulling this trailer (which now has a roof rack as well) with most of the actual camp gear in it.

Here's the stance with that same trailer, still with the factory fenders. No armor and not loaded up here though.

This will give you some idea of the flex (don't pull a trailer here! :D):

Our 4" kit is rated for approx 4" of lift. Obviously, this will be dependent on how the vehicle is outfitted and loaded. We also offer a heavier rear 4" spring that is rated for about 660lbs of constant load for the Jeeps that are loaded for expedition use.

Differences in spring specs:

2643 4" Rear Coil (what you had)
Spring Rate: 175 lb/inch
Free Height: 460mm

3046 4" Rear Heavy Constant Load Coil Spring
Spring Rate: 200 lb/inch
Free Height: 490mm

On our two company JK's, we have had to run the 3046 spring. Our Red JK on the east coast is loaded with drawers, fridge, tent and pretty much all recovery gear we offer. Our new project "quicksand" was also equipped with them because we were fully loaded with our gear, spare parts and luggage during our trip to Prudhoe Bay - Deadhorse, AK. Cheers!

Happykamper

Explorer
DV8 off-road out of SoCal . The springs are built to your weight specs! Have been running them with heavy load for 2.5 years no sag no problem ! There the real deal and price doc well also. In the 2.5 years I have racked up 57k on my 2012 .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles