JK aux fuel tank

The JK 4-door is a pretty cool rig. Make it a Rubicon, and it's even better. Make that Rubicon an XV-JP Earth Roamer and the coolness factor pretty much skyrockets. Whatever the model though, there's a common issue amongst these vehicles, and that is the potential range.

So what does one do to increase a vehicles range? For the most part, the options for JK owners are pretty limited- either carry around a bunch of fuel cans, order a GenRight and cut out your muffler, or wish you lived in Australia, where you could pick up a Long Ranger.

The long and the short of it is, that carrying around a bunch of fuel cans just wouldn't work for the application that I'm working on, nor would removing the exhaust be an option- after all, this vehicle is not just an off-road rig, and needs to be very drivable on the street too.

Below is the solution that I came up with. After being told that there is absolutely no warranty, nor is there any guarantee that it will fit, and, after a couple months of waiting for a container from down under... The Long Ranger TA64P:

DSC_0004.JPG

For those of you who are curious, here's what the contents of the package look like:

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

After many emails with the manufacturer, I decided that it "should" fit into a USA-spec vehicle. However, according to both the manufacturer and ARB, this is apparently the first time anyone has attempted this install in a USA-spec JK, so it may or may not be a typical installation... nobody really knows for sure.

Come to think of it though, this can't be a typical install... if for no other reason than the tank is being fitted to an EarthRoamer XV-JP. There will need to be some modifications made to the undercarriage before the tank will even fit in the spot that it's made for on its Aussie brethren. First things first, will be to remove the EarthRoamer skid-plate:

DSC_0014.JPG

The challenge here, is that underneath the skid-plate is where the two group 31 auxiliary batteries reside:

DSC_0010.JPG

These will obviously need to be relocated, but there are space limitations on this vehicle which will likely make things somewhat interesting.

I'll post up more info and pics as I progress towards and through this project- likely next week.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:--WOW, very interesting-can't wait to see your install-

:coffeedrink: JIMBO

stonehenge

Observer
I'm curious as well. I built my own 14 gallon tank which goes under the rear of my JK in place of the stock muffler and well because i couldnt find anything that was a viable option. At the time i had a Hemi in my JK and range was really poor. I've since sold my Hemi and purchased a new Rubi but i find myself in a similar position of poor range if i want to push the "off the grid envelope". Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Pics my good man, pics!

Andy

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Boy, whoever owns that EarthRoamer Jeep is a lucky duck. I hear that they get really crappy fuel economy, especially in a headwind or when off-roading . . . sometimes barely making double digits. It'd be really nice to get 400 miles of range instead of just a couple hundred. :sombrero:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
So this is an auxiliary tank, like a second fuel tank right? I looked for the XJ and they have a 13 gallon unit, so that in addition to the stock 20 gallon tank would make for a couple hundred extra miles of travel. Sounds cool to me, lets see the rest of your write up!

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
There are three manufacturers currently making fuel tanks for the JK.

The first of course is Long Ranger of Australia, model TA64P, the tank being installed by WhereTheHellIsJames. I plan to get a JK in the fall when the new Pentastar engine becomes available and install one of these myself. I fully expect the installation to be a simple bolt in for the US spec JK. The Earthroamer variable obviously complicates things for James. The tank comes with a transfer pump and a very slick switch/gauge. The capacity is 68 liter/18 gallon which when combined with the 22 gallon factory tank gives a total capacity of 40 gallons. Assuming a modest 15 mpg off road for the new engine I expect a range of 600 miles. This is dead near the ideal 1000 kilometer range for international overlanding. Unfortunately their distributor ARB does not stock this tank as part of the regular product line up in the US so it does require a long wait or expensive air freight. The purchase price is unknown.

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/jklongrangefueltank.html

The awesome Long Ranger switch/gauge.
4712625016_13a27423cb.jpg

The Long Ranger installed. Paint it black and it would look OEM.
4711984527_4c06092bb5.jpg

The second option is Front Runner of South Africa, model FRJEP40. Like the Long Ranger tank this one is not currently imported into the USA. But also like Long Ranger they might be happy to air freight one if you so desire. However, I do know that Paul May of Equipt is testing the tank and might decided to bring some to the states. The Front Runner tank is very similar in construction to the Long Ranger. Both tanks are all steel and fit in along the drive shaft opposite and parallel to the OEM tank. Unlike the LR tank it does have a simple steel skid plate. The capacity is 60 liter/15.8 gallon. It does include a transfer pump but I do not know what the switch is like or if it has a gauge like the LR tank. Cost is unknown. I apologize for the poor picture. It is currently the best available.

http://www.frontrunner.co.za/newproducts-aug.php

The Front Runner Installed.
4712625040_b39563173e.jpg

The third option is Genright out of California.They have a long history of making tanks for Jeeps and the JK tank is the newest addition to their product line, model number GST8002. Their tank differs from the other two in that it fits behind the rear axle under the cargo deck. It requires removal of the built in storage compartment and relocation of the muffler. It is of aluminum construction with a very beefy steel skid plate. I like this tank the least of the three options. The rear mounting position will reduce the departure angle, have unfavorable weight distribution and have a total weight greater than the other two tanks given the separate tank and skid design. It also does not include a transfer pump, switch or gage. Genright designed the tank to actually replace the OEM tank in which case you just relocate the factory fuel pump to the new tank. Using it as an auxiliary tank will require sourcing a pump, a switch, a gauge and the pluming necessary to join it with the factory tank. There might also be some filler neck issues to contend with. The capacity is 75.7 liter/20 gallon, the highest of the three. But even so the design objective on this tanks seems to be rock crawling and the ability to modify the suspension for said activity. The price is $900 which is likely cheaper than either the LR or FR. They also have a second JK tank, model GST8003, but I do not have any detailed information on this one.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST8002

The Genright Tank
4712625068_c8b6a1b35a.jpg

The Genright Installed.
4712625102_3604ea83d4.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just a heads up on the Gen-right tank. You have to cut out the rear storage cubby in the rear of the JK to install it.

I would love to see a tank for behind the axle that didn't require you to cut the floor.

Combine the stock tank, the longranger, and a rear tank...mmmmm.....50 gallons plus. With the diesel in the J8 that would be a 1000 mile range :)

evilfij

Explorer
Interesting options. On rovers, it is common to fit a full fuel pump to both tanks and use a mechanical valve to go between the two. If you used the genrite and the stock tank you would have two working fuel pumps so if one failed you could run off the other one. I have to admit, if a diesel JK comes out, I might go back to the dark side (I briefly had a TJ, but am a rover person by nature) so I am interested in all these things.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Im sorry for the hi-jack but I have a question. I see the tanks a really close (IMHO) to the driveshaft. Is there any known cases or fears of a driveshaft failure damaging the tank?

Woodchuck

So how much did it wind up costing to get that longranger to the United States (total cost - tank plus shipping)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles