JK aux fuel tank

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As they come from Australia, and the Australian dollar is down to $0.80 from being better than parity a while back, it may be a good time to fetch one.

It is undoubtedly in the top three good things done to my XV-JP. I certainly feel fortunate to have it.

Guapo

Resurrecting this old thread. I'm wanting to add an aux fuel tank to my 2013 JKU. I've gone through this thread and have done quite a bit of internet research, but I'd love some current thoughts and advice. I like the size and location of the Long Ranger, and I've reached out to ARB but haven't heard back. Anyone know where else to get one? The Gen-Right is an option, but I don't like the location of it as well and don't like that the rear floor storage bump has to be cut out. Any thoughts and shared experiences would be great. Thanks!

gfe jeep

No Hijack !

This option has not been posted here so I will for another fuel option..

www.titanfueltanks.com

This is easier to install and still a clean option instead of cans.

I do not have one. Just wanted to post another idea.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I thought long and hard about an aux tank for the JKU.

I chose to put a custom water tank, pump and filtration setup under the Jeep in the place a long ranger would normally fit.

For extra gas I went with a Titan Transfer Tank - it's much, much cheaper, and holds about 14 gallons.
With it, I have an effective range of ~650miles, which I am really happy with. I only fill it up when I need to, which means most of the time it's very light.

It's been awesome over here in Africa - here it is being filled as I set out to attempt to cross a very remote border:
jeep-titan-fill-up-west-africa-bissau-720x480.jpg

-Dan

jsek29

Observer
One Vote for GenRight

We put the GenRight on our Jeep. This moves the muffler up under the driver's side seats, with the tail pipe pointed down just in front of the rear axle. Someone made it sound like the GenRight would have to be run without a muffler, which is why I put my 2¢ in here. It works beautifully, giving us another 20 gallons of fuel and doubling our range. The nice part too is that is it NOT a transfer tank, it is a fully functional fuel tank, with it's own sender unit. Simply flip a switch to change tanks. Each tank sends fuel to the engine and the dash gauge reads the level in that tank.

Full disclosure, the way it's plumbed in leads to a slow vent on the stock tank and a lot of foam when filling the front (stock) tank, so we full it slowly. The GenRight tank fills nicely, it is only the stock tank that foams and fills slowly. I think that the fact we converted to diesel (4BT) exacerbates the problem, and that gasoline would foam less.

Septu

Explorer
We put the GenRight on our Jeep. This moves the muffler up under the driver's side seats, with the tail pipe pointed down just in front of the rear axle. Someone made it sound like the GenRight would have to be run without a muffler, which is why I put my 2¢ in here. It works beautifully, giving us another 20 gallons of fuel and doubling our range. The nice part too is that is it NOT a transfer tank, it is a fully functional fuel tank, with it's own sender unit. Simply flip a switch to change tanks. Each tank sends fuel to the engine and the dash gauge reads the level in that tank.

This is my eventual plan. I've already moved the muffler, and eventually will get around to doing this. However in the meantime I'm running a Titan Tank. A PITA at times (transfer takes 10-15 min, and then you need to deal with the hose), but that extra 10gal is a very nice thing to have as an option - especially when gas stations (at least the semi reasonably priced ones) are as far inbetween as they are up here.

JDaPP

Adventurer
So I have wanted an aux tank for quite some time I settled for an AEV. I didn't like messing with the siphon so I rigged up an electrical fuel transfer system.
I drilled a hole in the side of the filler neck and inserted a brass fitting designed to connect 2 hoses together (Lowe's). I then connected 1' of in tank fuel hose (Amazon) to 2' copper piping (Lowe's) that I made sure was run to the lowest point in the tank. On the outside I ran regular fuel line (autozone) from the brass connector down the back of the tank and then into the aev tire carrier. I set it up to exit right at the bottom where it rotates and then between the body and the bumper to a in-line fuel pump (Amazon). Along the way I put an in line fuel filter (walmart), fuel line disconnects (they use them on motorcycle aux tanks, Amazon), a fuel shutoff valve (Amazon) and bought a cover designed for hot rod fuel lines to resist high heat (jegs, I think). Cover not probably needed but seemed like cheap safety. All the fuel line was 3/8" if I remember correctly.
From the in-line fuel pump I ran fuel line to a connector designed for gravity feed diesel aux truck tanks. (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200625139_200625139) the link takes you to the type of connector (don't remember which one just the size). You need the one designed for 1 1/4" fuel filler hose. I put the connector where the fuel fill neck feeds into the main tank. One side went to the factory fuel neck (you have to work it back towards the fuel fill cap to create room) the other side I put fuel filler line from autozone to the main tank. It is a tight fit.

I only run it when stopped, although I have found there is enough suction/pressure in the system that once it is primed it will pretty much run on its on without the pump. Turn the shutoff valve off when I am done and usually disconnect the line for good measure. Have to make sure the shutoff valve is off during fueling to avoid overflowing the filler (if cap is off). I also wait until I can dump the whole aev tank in to avoid condensation in the aev tank. I don't use it except for long trips and I have only ever had a problem with an engine light once and that was because I didn't tighten the connection clamp enough when I first set it up. Since then no issues and I have been using it off and on for about a year.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
^^ Genius idea. Even with the cost of the supplies, the AEV arm and someone to do the labor, that's still a heck of a lot cheaper than the Genright tank, the anti rock sway bars, fuel pump and the labor.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures

Full disclosure, the way it's plumbed in leads to a slow vent on the stock tank and a lot of foam when filling the front (stock) tank, so we full it slowly. The GenRight tank fills nicely, it is only the stock tank that foams and fills slowly. I think that the fact we converted to diesel (4BT) exacerbates the problem, and that gasoline would foam less.

2 Votes Gen-Right...!! We installed this in a 2016 Jeep JKU and if fit perfectly, easy install. The Gen-Right tank uses the space where the bulky factory muffler sits and can be replaced with another complete but smaller aftermarket muffler. Yes, you do have to remove the rear storage area but a small price to pay for 20 gal of fuel at a Low Center of Gravity.

My 2cents.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior